Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 30 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 77,434 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
September 6, 2019, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

So if he is obliged to ask for an extension, is there any timescale?

Does he go to the EU "cap-in-hand" and say please we need more time and then they decide how much added time there will be or will he have specific instructions from parliament requesting another 3, 6 months or longer, which they will then either need to agree to or not?

I know he's said he rather be "dead in a ditch" but does he have any get out if parliament tells him as our PM, he has to go?

I'm genuinely confused as to what stance he would take......  

I suspect that, faced with the choice of 'dying in a ditch' (my choice for him) or resignation, the fat lying twit will roll over and go cap in hand for the shortest extension possible in the hope that it will then be enough to get the opposition to agree to an election which he still hopes to win.

He will then do absolutely intercourse all to try for a new deal ('the backstop' will still be and will remain forever a problem anyway) until the extension runs out during which time he will hope to be able to repeal the 'no deal' law.

This outcome does of course depend on him getting a majority in the election which please God he won't

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 610 - 918
GollyGTFC
September 6, 2019, 3:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

So if he is obliged to ask for an extension, is there any timescale?

Does he go to the EU "cap-in-hand" and say please we need more time and then they decide how much added time there will be or will he have specific instructions from parliament requesting another 3, 6 months or longer, which they will then either need to agree to or not?

I know he's said he rather be "dead in a ditch" but does he have any get out if parliament tells him as our PM, he has to go?

I'm genuinely confused as to what stance he would take......  

He has to do it on October 19th if a deal hasn't been agreed- which of course it won't be.

He then has 3 choices: seek an extension; resign as PM or ignore the instruction.

Seek an extension - election would be agreed in parliament on Monday October 21st probably to take place on Thursday 28th November.

Resign as PM - he'd have to go to the palace and resign. He could wait until after the EU summit (17-18 October) and resign when he's due to seek the extension, but he might well do it next Monday when the extension bill is law. The Queen would have to send for Jeremy Corbyn (or Maybe Ken Clarke) and ask him to form a government. Whichever would form a temporary government, secure an extension and then seek an immediate general election (if Boris & the Tories agree to one).

Ignore the instruction - would probably result in an immediate confidence vote in parliament which he'll lose. "Rebel Alliance" will then have to quickly get Corbyn (or Clarke) through a confidence vote to form an emergency government to seek an extension and seek an immediate general election (if Boris & the Tories agree to one).

Boris might like the last 2 of those options as if the caretaker PM is Ken Clarke then he would probably lose the "shortest time as UK Prime Minister" record that he's about to gain.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 611 - 918
Grimbiggs
September 6, 2019, 9:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
This is the reason why the Labour party doesn't want an Election at the minute, very grim reading:-

Current Prediction: Conservative majority 50

Party2017 Votes     2017 Seats     Pred Votes     Pred Seats

CON 43.5%            318                     33.3%            350
LAB     41.0%          262                    25.0%           193
LIB     7.6%              12                     17.9%              34
Brexit 0.0%                0                     12.9%                0
Green 4.7%                1                     7%                       1     
SNP     3.1%              35                       3.6%              51
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 612 - 918
LH
September 6, 2019, 9:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,513
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Grimbiggs
This is the reason why the Labour party doesn't want an Election at the minute, very grim reading:-

Where is that data from? The Institute for the deaf, blind braindead and long-term unconscious?
Private Message
Reply: 613 - 918
Grimbiggs
September 6, 2019, 9:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from LH

Where is that data from? The Institute for the deaf, blind braindead and long-term unconscious?

Electoral Calculus, an average of all polling, Labour's vote percentage likely to be the worst since Michael Foot managed 27.6% in 1983. Election will be fought on Leave/ Remain lines, LEAVE- Conservative/ Brexit party, REMAIN- Labour/ Lib Dem/ SNP/ Green parties....Labour will be hit the hardest for betraying their core vote, and failing to uphold the result of the Referendum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 614 - 918
Maringer
September 6, 2019, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Oddly enough, the Tories were going to have a massive majority in 2017 as well. What happened there?

The most accurate pollster last time was Survation. Their most recent poll came in mid-August and gave the Tories a 4% lead, even after the usual bounce which follows the arrival a new leader. I'd imagine Johnson has lost a few percent of that through his sheer ineptitude this week.

However, their voting intentions indicated a 43% remain with 9% undecided and the others for some form of leave though very many more favouring a softer Brexit. On a knife edge still, really. The question is how would this affect the vote overall?

From the shambles we've seen this week, you'd tend to think that Johnson is more likely to make more member ups than get his act together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 615 - 918
KingstonMariner
September 6, 2019, 11:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I have no doubt that Johnson is actually not a Brexiteer or even a Conservative by conviction. Every choice he has made has been whatever he saw as serving his interest in getting the top job. He's probably a Tory because they win more elections than Labour. He decided at the last minute to back Leave because he sniffed the chance they would win. The guy is also an inveterate lier - there are too many occasions to list here. Quite a few are listed here though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

Chickens are coming home to roost. The Opposition is able to avoid voting for a general election because they can hide behind Boris' reputation as a lier. More the fool all the Tory Brexiteers for supporting him. He's played his hand badly and lost the chance of Brexit by 31 October. Parliament is asserting its authority - just as he claimed he wanted in the Referendum campaign.

All the backstabbing he has done in the Tory party has backfired too. I bet fewer would have rebelled if he'd not been such a dishonourable weasle. Instead there's a distinct whiff of revenge in the air.

I'm loving seeing the lying girl private squirm.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 616 - 918
KingstonMariner
September 6, 2019, 11:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
As to what will happen. copulated if I know. But the odds are we will leave with a deal and it'll involve the Irish backstop.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 617 - 918
GollyGTFC
September 7, 2019, 8:25am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Not gonna happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 618 - 918
GollyGTFC
September 7, 2019, 8:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Electoral Calculus, an average of all polling, Labour's vote percentage likely to be the worst since Michael Foot managed 27.6% in 1983. Election will be fought on Leave/ Remain lines, LEAVE- Conservative/ Brexit party, REMAIN- Labour/ Lib Dem/ SNP/ Green parties....Labour will be hit the hardest for betraying their core vote, and failing to uphold the result of the Referendum.

The election will NOT be fought on leave/remain lines. The election will be fought on what the public decides. And that will be what elections are always fought on: education; NHS; crime and policing; public services; economic competence etc... Theresa May tried to dictate the theme of the 2017 election and we all know where that got her,

And all this shite about Labour betraying their core vote. STOP PRESS: More Tory voters voted Remain than Labour voters voted Leave!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 619 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.