Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 77,019 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
September 4, 2019, 7:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Interesting times lie ahead.... but all the time we are like a rudderless ship and the EU is just watching and waiting in the wings. I do find it rather odd that their leaders have not taken more of an active role in proceedings, especially trying to "educate" the British public on the "benefits" of the EU,  but maybe they just think that this is all some British game and that when all is said and done they aren't bothered that much about the UK after all

Who knows? I still think David Cameron has a lot to answer for though![/i]  

Missed out the NOT. Corrected now.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 580 - 918
Marinerz93
September 4, 2019, 7:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GollyGTFC

As first days go that was amongst the worst. BJ started his first day in the HoC as PM with a majority of zero and ended it leading a minority government of -44. If this is part of a Boris master plan (as Marinerz93 believes) then he's a genius because he's fooled the entire country and all reputable political commentators to believe that he's lost control of parliament and is finished as PM after less than 7 weeks.

The game isn't over yet and Boris has just done a bit of house clearing getting rid of his opponents on a scale unseen before without bloodshed and the Queen can veto a law after it has been passed in the Houses of Parliament. Boris already got the queen to prorogue Parliament, maybe this was his plan all along to force the remainers into doing his bidding, and pushing a general election as he knows people don't trust Corbyn and the EU elections show all the main parties losing out dramatically to Farage. He puffs his chest and spouts the same stuff as Farage those who voted for the Brexit party vote for him, A gamble yes, but a better gamble than the lifeless May when she thought she could increase her majority. He gets rid of MP's who would block his plans, he replaces them with those with the same ideas as him so he knows he won't be opposed, maybe not good for the conservatives but it puts the power of being a leader firmly in Boris hands.

If we are to remain in the EU and governed from Brussels like before, what is the point to MP's, because when ever we couldn't do something in the UK, for example remove VAT off sanitary towels the women of this nation were told no it's a luxury item under the EU and has to to have VAT, there are young girls in this country who miss school because their parents can't afford to buy their daughters sanitary towels, this is crazy and the doing of the EU which common sense would say what the hell are you playing at. The real reason why so many MP's want to remain is because the EU does all the work whilst they just stick their snouts in the trough easy money when someone else is doing the graft and when people complain they just say can't do ought about it mate it's the EU.

I doubt there will be a general election as Labour are excrement scared of the amount of votes they will lose as the biggest leave areas are Labour, funny how our Mel has gone quiet, biggest news in the telewag is blue/green algae in Sidney park pond.

It's gone from being pair shaped to bat excrement crazy, if there is to be a general election and Farage does what he said he would do and put Brexit party members and challenge every seat, where do you see the votes going after the EU elections results. What sort of Brexit will it be then.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 581 - 918
FishOutOfWater
September 4, 2019, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Missed out the NOT. Corrected now.

Haha. Well by missing it out it provoked another response from me  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 582 - 918
Grimbiggs
September 4, 2019, 8:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from Marinerz93

I doubt there will be a general election as Labour are excrement scared of the amount of votes they will lose as the biggest leave areas are Labour, funny how our Mel has gone quiet, biggest news in the telewag is blue/green algae in Sidney park pond.

It's gone from being pair shaped to bat excrement crazy, if there is to be a general election and Farage does what he said he would do and put Brexit party members and challenge every seat, where do you see the votes going after the EU elections results. What sort of Brexit will it be then.

This exactly, as much as the Tories have made a complete mess of Brexit, I can't think of a worst Labour opposition since Michael Foot. They've continually sat on the fence, In/Out, 2nd referendum, who knows? and yet if a General Election was held, I still doubt they'd be the largest party within the house, and would need the SNP to stand any chance of forming a government....as much as the Tories are in disarray, this just highlights how badly Labour/ Corbyn are perceived.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 583 - 918
GollyGTFC
September 4, 2019, 8:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grimbiggs

This exactly, as much as the Tories have made a complete mess of Brexit, I can't think of a worst Labour opposition since Michael Foot. They've continually sat on the fence, In/Out, 2nd referendum, who knows? and yet if a General Election was held, I still doubt they'd be the largest party within the house, and would need the SNP to stand any chance of forming a government....as much as the Tories are in disarray, this just highlights how badly Labour/ Corbyn are perceived.

The British public have made a fine art of using European & Local elections as a way of giving bloody noses to the main two parties and then come a general election fall back in line and stick stubbornly with the 2 main parties. There's nothing I see or hear that makes me think a general election this year would be any different.

Theresa May tried to make the 2017 GE 90% about Brexit and look where it got her. Boris is going to attempt the same but with a no deal Brexit as his strategy.

My prediction for a GE:-

Tories was wiped out in Scotland (to SNP)
Tories lose seats in Wales
Tories lose seats in the South-West & South-West London (to Lib Dems)
Labour lose seats in Scotland (to SNP)

Tories would need to win around 40 seats in Labour heartland. They'll fail miserably.

Hung parliament. (Tories + DUP will be well short of majority.)

Corbyn will become PM propped up by Lib Dems (who are promised a referendum on Brexit deal they strike with EU) & SNP (who are promised Indy Ref 2) in a keep the Tories out coalition.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 584 - 918
GollyGTFC
September 4, 2019, 8:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Re: Labour sitting on the fence.

Probably the wise course of action. Let the Tories own the mess they have created. Labour are in a tough place. Half their seats are in inner-city remain areas and half are in northern remain towns. Playing the game of gently swinging towards being seen as pro-remain as the Tories get more and more into a hole and time runs out was probably the best option for them. Even if it has been frustrating watching them fail to properly hold the government to account.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 585 - 918
GrimRob
September 4, 2019, 8:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

It’s a fallacy to think that it will end if we come out without a deal. It would just be the beginning. Have a read of this to see what would be in store https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/ivan-rogers-the-realities-of-a-no-deal-brexit/

Whatever happens, it is going to rumble on for years, like the Global Financial Crisis of 2008 did (when bankers were the villains). The UK government is going to have to do lots of things that the EU used to do, there will be winners and losers doubtless.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 586 - 918
Grimbiggs
September 4, 2019, 8:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The British public have made a fine art of using European & Local elections as a way of giving bloody noses to the main two parties and then come a general election fall back in line and stick stubbornly with the 2 main parties. There's nothing I see or hear that makes me think a general election this year would be any different.

Theresa May tried to make the 2017 GE 90% about Brexit and look where it got her. Boris is going to attempt the same but with a no deal Brexit as his strategy.

My prediction for a GE:-

Tories was wiped out in Scotland (to SNP)
Tories lose seats in Wales
Tories lose seats in the South-West & South-West London (to Lib Dems)
Labour lose seats in Scotland (to SNP)

Tories would need to win around 40 seats in Labour heartland. They'll fail miserably.

Hung parliament. (Tories + DUP will be well short of majority.)

Corbyn will become PM propped up by Lib Dems (who are promised a referendum on Brexit deal they strike with EU) & SNP (who are promised Indy Ref 2) in a keep the Tories out coalition.

Yes they normally do, but I think the election will be fought on Leave or Remain lines, and I think those in Labour Leave area's will think twice on how their party have betrayed them, by not respecting the result of the referendum. The North East and Yorkshire with seats like Stockton South, Bishop Auckland, Darlington etc, and those in Yorkshire, Don Valley, Wakefield, Rother Valley, Keighley etc, are all very likely to fall. I can see nothing more than a Tory majority or a hung parliament at worse, and whilst the bookies do occasionally get it wrong I think the 6/4 on offer a cracking price!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 587 - 918
GollyGTFC
September 4, 2019, 9:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
We'll see. I wouldn't put money on a Tory majority if it was 1,000/1.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 588 - 918
GrimRob
September 4, 2019, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We'll see. I wouldn't put money on a Tory majority if it was 1,000/1.

Tories are a very short price to be the biggest party. There's definitely going to be more tactical alliances and voting on all sides so it's very hard to call. Tories get very few votes from under 40's. Younger voters are key, no excuse not to vote this time!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 589 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.