Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 26 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 75,941 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2019, 12:14am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Oh, another thing. Question for the nationalists out there. How come nationalist organisations and followers are so keen on protecting our 'indigenous culture' and are so worried about losing our distinctive identity but they're are not protesting about Americanisation?

I mean, no one is picketing shops selling tat for Halloween or telling Trick or Treaters to go back to where they came from. How about abusing people in the street for wearing jeans and teeshirts, or slagging off rock bands for betraying their native musical heritage?

Funny that. Who'd have expected such principled people to be so inconsistent.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 680 - 918
Croxton
October 1, 2019, 7:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,924
Gold Stars: 31
I'm calling out HOME BARGAINS (Hillsborough) for not only binning off the garden items to have two aisles of Halloween garbage but also another two for Christmas stock. That was a week ago. More exploitation of those families who can least afford it.
Bought my shears from Band Q.

I dislike many aspects of our Americanised culture. Don't get me started on Guy Fawkes night and fireworks. Anyone who gives a penny for the guy is guilty of child abuse or grooming terrorists at the very least.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 681 - 918
Marinerz93
October 2, 2019, 6:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Oh, another thing. Question for the nationalists out there. How come nationalist organisations and followers are so keen on protecting our 'indigenous culture' and are so worried about losing our distinctive identity but they're are not protesting about Americanisation?

I mean, no one is picketing shops selling tat for Halloween or telling Trick or Treaters to go back to where they came from. How about abusing people in the street for wearing jeans and teeshirts, or slagging off rock bands for betraying their native musical heritage?

Thursday, October 31. It originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. Popular culture will always influence other societies regardless of where they are, from Greeks, Romans, British and Americans, if something is popular, people will buy into it. You wouldn't be complaining if everyone was walking around with onions around their necks and a baguettes under the arms saying oh he on would you europhile.

You claim to want democracy yet you and every cry baby remoaner is doing everything in their power from moaning about how unfair it is the result didn't go their way to completely undermining the vote of over 17 million people. Shove that in your corn cob pipe.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 682 - 918
chaos33
October 2, 2019, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,750
Gold Stars: 348
Obtuse doesn’t touch it. Are you actually real, or a bot?!?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 683 - 918
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2019, 10:54am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Thursday, October 31. It originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. Popular culture will always influence other societies regardless of where they are, from Greeks, Romans, British and Americans, if something is popular, people will buy into it. You wouldn't be complaining if everyone was walking around with onions around their necks and a baguettes under the arms saying oh he on would you europhile.

You claim to want democracy yet you and every cry baby remoaner is doing everything in their power from moaning about how unfair it is the result didn't go their way to completely undermining the vote of over 17 million people. Shove that in your corn cob pipe.

I’m pointing out inconsistent you people are. You moan about the culture being swamped. Now you say you are happy if people adopt American customs but imply you wouldn’t be happy for people to adopt French ones. Talk about mixed up!!

The fact you then blather on about Celtic festivals in the context of Americanisation of Halloween, just shows you miss the frigging point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 684 - 918
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2019, 11:16am
Meths Drinker
PS you might want to take your tongue out of Uncle Sam’s bottom because it’s muddling up your perspective. And when you do pull it out you can stop tugging your forelock to toffs like Farage, Rees-Mogg and Johnson. It’s really not becoming for sturdy ‘independent-minded’ folk.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 685 - 918
Marinerz93
October 13, 2019, 12:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

I’m pointing out inconsistent you people are. You moan about the culture being swamped. Now you say you are happy if people adopt American customs but imply you wouldn’t be happy for people to adopt French ones. Talk about mixed up!!

The fact you then blather on about Celtic festivals in the context of Americanisation of Halloween, just shows you miss the frigging point.

You people,  

blather on about Celtic festivals in the context of Americanisation of Halloween, just shows you miss the frigging point  

Trick or treating didn't emerge in the states until 1927, were this was already a custom here so who is influencing who.  

Just goes to show you that you remoaners are so deperate and the hypocrisy and desperation in remoaning is getting worse the closer to Brexit deadline we get. The post you quote was reply a to Americanisation, Halloween is an ancient Celtic custom that developed in the UK, through history it has changed and was taken across the pond to transform yet again. Popular culture no matter where it comes from will always find roots in any civilization in any form be it mannerisms, decorating their homes to shopping. In the UK it was widely reported in the history books that people in the UK were Romanised well before the Romans invaded the UK, stick that in your corn cob pipe remoaner. In case you forget it is a British trait that we take something and develop it, something that is deep embedded in our culture. So it stands to reason something that started here was further developed comes back as part of it was already in our culture.

I haven't adopted any American customs unless them came from my parents, I have kept with the customs I grew up with, I don't follow the covering the house in lights at Christmas or Halloween and it doesn't bother me that others do, I don't get were you are coming from America has far more in common with the UK than any other country in the EU so it stands to reason some of it's culture would rub off on the UK,  American football was a thing for a while but it soon faded away, baseball is not a thing here although Basket ball is, it is still a minor sport in the UK,. I don't have thanks giving and if riding around on bikes with stripped jumpers with onions around your neck became a thing in the UK I'll look forward to laughing at you and the rest of you europhiles, shouting oh he on whilst going down Grimsby road.

European influence on me,music one band - Rammstein, food - Halloumi, pizza but not a lot else is of an influence on me considering the size of Europe, and I lived in Cyprus for 6 years, where as American influence would be music and films, tv series.

You try and create an argument citing nationalists, yet your argument is flawed and has more holes in it than Swiss cheese, some European influence in there for you love so much, so go cry in your cappuccino (more European influence, I bet you are loving this) .

You cry about Americanisation, yet hate your country enough to want it to be run from Brussels, that's a bit anti British but I guess that goes hand in hand with your anti democracy view too.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 686 - 918
arryarryarry
October 14, 2019, 12:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,927
Gold Stars: 112

1) I doubt there are many American trick or treaters going round the streets of my little Town, I would bet you any money they are locals so they are where they are they don't have to go back anywhere, seems a very silly comment to me.

2) I haven't read all this thread so I have no idea about people complaining about our "indigenous culture"

3) So far I haven't been able to get a doctors appointment because of a halloween costume.

4) I have yet to meet a halloween costume that is buying up houses in my town and turning them into HMOs.

Private Message
Reply: 687 - 918
Maringer
October 16, 2019, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,071
Gold Stars: 175
So, as expected, it looks as though we've admitted that there will have to be a customs border down the Irish Sea because of the GFA and common sense. Blindingly obvious to everybody that this would be the case but I wonder what the payoff for the DUP to support it will be this time? It sounds as though there will be some weasel wording which pretends that NI somehow remains part of the UK customs union but this will, of course, be nonsense. I wonder how Johnson will try to spin this as some sort of a triumph? Dishonestly, of course, but how exactly. If NI benefit from remaining inside the EU customs union, it won't be long before the Scots secede and join them. Wales too, possibly. That will be rather more difficult.

What a shambles.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 688 - 918
grimsby pete
October 16, 2019, 11:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
There will not be an agreement even if we get one with the EU there are enough MP's who will vote against it so we will be no further forward,

Either Boris will break the law and take us out on the 31st or there will be an election which will take place before the end of yet another extension,

We can only hope one side will get enough MPs to either take us out or revoke article 50.

Most people are sick to the teeth of listening about Brexit every day.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 689 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.