Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 28 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,532 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Paddymariner
August 1, 2010, 7:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from jock dock tower
Have a memory of Jack Lewis wanting to come on as sub in that game, but Lawrie just carried on with Ian Turner regardless? Remember the bus drive down there leaving Gy at midnight Friday. Everybody blootered.

When Lewis eventually got on he had the wrong colour shorts on for some reason. Perhaps that's why Lawrie didn't want to put him on with MOTD cameras being there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 352
gtfcdoz
August 1, 2010, 8:55am
Guest User
We beat York 1-0 maybe 1989ish. I`m sure Steve Sherwood saved a penalty and Tony Rees scored a header after 30 seconds.
York had a captain called Tom Kelly who looked like Ali from Eastenders. Everytime he got the ball, the Town fans shouted `Ozcabs` and it totally put him off his game.
Might not be the most memorable but certainly a very random memory - someone must have been there with me!
Reply: 231 - 352
jock dock tower
August 1, 2010, 9:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Always used to be needle games in the mid to late 70's with any team Alan Ball's father managed, Preston spring to mind. A feisty character just like his son. Rather confusing them being called Alan Ball and Alan Ball senior as well!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 352
BIGChris
August 1, 2010, 9:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Paddymariner

Wasn't it because in the previous year's game there had been 3 players sent off for fighting? Czuczman was one and Whittle and Cannon ? for Palarse.
Dave will remember.

That might have beem the same game because i seem to recall it was a night game that we eventually won 2-1, when the 3 sendings off happened. Whittle in particular was very wound up and allison, with fedora, wasnt a happy bunny!

I think Jim Lumby got one of the goals that night?
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 352
Les Brechin
August 1, 2010, 9:27am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Boxing Day 1989 away at Glumford Park. We were 2-0 down to the Scunts but pulled a goal back and then Big Keef (RIP) struck the ball from the edge of the box. It looked to be going well wide and the whole of the away end groaned but then the ball somehow bent in the air and went into the top corner sending the Town fans wild. Then not long after that Paul Reece saved a penalty to keep it at 2-2.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 352
Paddymariner
August 1, 2010, 9:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

That might have beem the same game because i seem to recall it was a night game that we eventually won 2-1, when the 3 sendings off happened. Whittle in particular was very wound up and allison, with fedora, wasnt a happy bunny!

I think Jim Lumby got one of the goals that night?

Could be but in the 2-1 win I seem to remember our goals came from Jim Lumby (as you say) and Roy Coyle. Don't remember Czuczman scoring so assume that was a different game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 352
barralad
August 1, 2010, 10:00am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Paddymariner

Could be but in the 2-1 win I seem to remember our goals came from Jim Lumby (as you say) and Roy Coyle. Don't remember Czuczman scoring so assume that was a different game.

The game you are both thinking of was played on April 8th 1975. Town won 2-1 with goals from Lumby and someone who's name I cannot put a face to-Brown?? According to the seminal work "Grimsby Town- A Complete Record 1878-1989.

I can't find any reference to Churchy scoring against The Eagles.

The thing about that game was although Palace were flying high, our win set them back. They didn't get promoted that year and had to wait another 12 months. Think they had Peter Taylor playing for them who had the distinction of being one of, if not the first, third division footballer to play for England before his move to Spurs...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 352
Paddymariner
August 1, 2010, 10:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from barralad

The game you are both thinking of was played on April 8th 1975. Town won 2-1 with goals from Lumby and someone who's name I cannot put a face to-Brown?? According to the seminal work "Grimsby Town- A Complete Record 1878-1989.

Oh that's right Keith Brown. Long dark haired left winger. I have a photo of that team in my living room because my Dad is on the photo. That book is brilliant, pity it hasn't been updated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 352
jock dock tower
August 1, 2010, 10:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Keith was always a talented footballer. He was in the year below me at the Technical School in Eleanor Street, and had school teams not been drawn specifically on age lines, he'd have been more than capable of playing in the age group at least two years above him. Remember playing in a  friendly one Saturday morning at the St. James school about 1969 (no age worries in friendlies) and he announced that his mum had promised him 2 bob if he scored a hat trick. He only got two, but announced at school on the Monday that he'd got 1 shilling and 4 pence (2.3 of  2 bob, worth about 7 pence in today's money)
The Grimsby Town Complete Record is often available on ebay and Amazon, and can often be picked up for about the £25 mark.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 352
Henryscat
August 1, 2010, 12:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Going to big spending Crawley away on the first game of our first non-league season in 100 years and winning 3-0.

Well I hope that will be the way it goes!!

Talking of which a classic moment when big fat tax-evading convicted fraudster Steve Evans got ejected from BP springs to mind

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.