Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 45 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,535 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 1:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from barralad
Ivano Bonetti's celebration after his goal against the Baggies. Just about the only time I've heard ALL the home fans shouting a players name. Still sends a shiver down my spine now thinking about it.

'kin hell Barra, that's just made the back of my neck go all tingly too! The release of tension when that goal went in was extraordinary. Ivano Ivano Ivano!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 352
FishOutOfWater
July 30, 2010, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from codcheeky
remeber going to millmoor in the late eighties was a boxing day, was with my dad ( perhaps the only away game we went to together) we got there nice and early and went in the rotherham pub near the ground, got moved out from there and sent to the cub bar thy used to have as part of the ground. had a few in there and someone opened the emegency door and we realised we could walk straight in. In 2 mins the bar was empty with every in for nothing. Can remember my dad laughing at everyone chanting ee by gum , ee by gum. cant remeber the score tho

I remember going to Millmoor earlier in the 80's some time in the winter....round about Xmas time

For most of the game we had it in for Ronnie Moore singing to him,

Ronnie Moore, Ronnie Moore, Ronnie Ronnie Moore,
When he gets that ball, he does feck all, Ronnie Ronnie Moore

It really seemed to puzzle him why we were singling him out for such grief but the more he looked bemused, the louder we sang....had to keep ourselves amused though really as the Yorkies won 3-0
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 191 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 2:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from thornemariner

Guilty as charged. Think the chant went over most people's heads though. Think we sang "Jack the Ripper is our friend" on the Underground as well.

We always missed the kick off because we would have yet another drink at London Bridge, miss another train and have another and so on.

As Jim said, never had a problem. Always a good day out. Watering hole used to be the Market Porter near London Bridge but in latter years, the Founders.

Away wins at Charlton bring back fond memories. Always a good day out.

Playing the sodden pitch perfectly at Brentford in 2003.

The packed White Hart for an hour before the footie specials left for Sheffield and everyone guzzling as much as possible in that time.

Yeah, it didn't get as good a response as it deserved!

The Porter is an ace boozer! Great beer, erm .... "presentable" bar staff   and great buzz around the Borough area on a warm evening. [And that's not a euphemism by the way!]

Slightly tarnished memories of the Founders though - I left there one night and by the time I remembered I had a jacket and went back for it some girl private had made off with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 352
Les Brechin
July 30, 2010, 2:11pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
And who remembers the tie before the Everton league cup game in 1984. We had drawn 0-0 at Rotherham but absolutely mullered them 6-1 in the replay.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 352
thornemariner
July 30, 2010, 2:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22

Yeah, it didn't get as good a response as it deserved!

The Porter is an ace boozer! Great beer, erm .... "presentable" bar staff   and great buzz around the Borough area on a warm evening. [And that's not a euphemism by the way!]

Slightly tarnished memories of the Founders though - I left there one night and by the time I remembered I had a jacket and went back for it some girl private had made off with it.

I heard the Porter had been gentrified a bit. Hope not.

The Hole In The Wall at Waterloo was a good meet up point. It did five different ciders at one time so that was me sorted.

West Ham fans were buying us drinks there after we only lost 2 1 at Pompey in 1993 and they had subsequently been promoted. And talking of that game, when we were leading, we were chanting "We're so good its unbelievable" with 25000 or so silent Pompey fans having to take it.
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 352
Little Mariner
July 30, 2010, 2:16pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Brick fight at valley parade about 1979 ish, easter I think it was

You fill up my senses
Like a barrell of Tetley's
Like a  packet of woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Nunsthorpe
Like a greasy chip butty
Like the Super Black and Whites
Come fill me again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 352
Bagshaw99
July 30, 2010, 2:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Funny how others remember this game....it was quite surreal,  cheering goals we hadn't seen but just knew about because the players had told us and we saw Town line up when Wrexham kicked off again!

It's my only visit to the Racecourse and though you could hardly see a thing, it stands out in my memories

Bob's goal came from a one-two a few yards over the halfway line and he scooted throught the defence and banged it in. Me and the other Town lad in the Wrexham forgot ourselves and were leaping up and down in a sea of red and white scarves. Luckily we were wearing waterproof anoraks as we were showered with saliva straight after (must be a Welsh welcoming custom!)

I always enjoyed Charlton away games, Kilmore's winner in a 1-0 in '81, Kev Drinkell's hat-trick in a 3-3 draw the day they were bought out in the mid '80s, and the 3 goals in 4 minutes to win 3-1 (or was it 3-2?)in the 90s. It was good to see Derek Hales play for them in 1980 before the end of his career. Hayles and Nigel Batch were two players you always included in a Bearded Players XI. Sir Garry Birtles was another.

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 352
thornemariner
July 30, 2010, 2:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bagshaw99

Bob's goal came from a one-two a few yards over the halfway line and he scooted throught the defence and banged it in. Me and the other Town lad in the Wrexham forgot ourselves and were leaping up and down in a sea of red and white scarves. Luckily we were wearing waterproof anoraks as we were showered with saliva straight after (must be a Welsh welcoming custom!)

I always enjoyed Charlton away games, Kilmore's winner in a 1-0 in '81, Kev Drinkell's hat-trick in a 3-3 draw the day they were bought out in the mid '80s, and the 3 goals in 4 minutes to win 3-1 (or was it 3-2?)in the 90s. It was good to see Derek Hales play for them in 1980 before the end of his career. Hayles and Nigel Batch were two players you always included in a Bearded Players XI. Sir Garry Birtles was another.

It was 3 1 at Charlton at Upton Park. Midweek game and we singing that daft Pizza Hut song on the bus afterwards.

That 3 3 draw was a corker, I think it went in off everyone. They scored late on and we equalised in the last minute.
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 352
Les Brechin
July 30, 2010, 2:35pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Another game I'll always remember is when we lost at home to Brighton 4-2 in the 80's. We were 2-1 up with about 5 minutes left but Brighton scored 3 in the last 5 minutes and could have even had a 5th.

I remember that Peter Grotier was in goal that game and I think Terry Connor scored at least one of Brightons goals that evening. (I think it was an evening match anyway)

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 352
thornemariner
July 30, 2010, 3:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another game I'll always remember is when we lost at home to Brighton 4-2 in the 80's. We were 2-1 up with about 5 minutes left but Brighton scored 3 in the last 5 minutes and could have even had a 5th.

I remember that Peter Grotier was in goal that game and I think Terry Connor scored at least one of Brightons goals that evening. (I think it was an evening match anyway)

It was an evening match at the end of the 1984/5 season and Brighton had an outside chance of promotion. I think we were 2 0 up with just over 10  minutes to go.

Mind you, we scored some goals that year. 6 3 at home to Cardiff and the 5 1 win against Wolves that has been mentioned. 6 1 against Rotherham and that 1 0 win at Everton.
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.