Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,297 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
July 29, 2010, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,196
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Abdul19

9/11?  

It was actually 11/9 but the yanks seem to think they reinvented time.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 352
Tommy
July 29, 2010, 6:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Precisely. 11th of September 2001. Always remember going to the Sheffield United Worthington cup game that night after watching the news for a couple of hours after what happened. A great game, 3-3, extra time, penalties, and us going through to the next round where Jevons wrote himself into Town history.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 352
carrot top
July 29, 2010, 6:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Both goals at Bradford City in our 2-0 win 90/91 I think. Tommy Watson and Diddy Gilbert. Pure football class.

Clive Hickman 1972 against Reading or was it Cambridge on an easter Monday game in an absolute mudbath. Injury time minute winner to make it 2-1 My Dad and many others had left to get the bus home thinking it was a draw. I believe the crowd was around 13,000 that day and we had already played a game at home just a couple of days before  in front of another 5 figure crowd.

Another was the Matt Tees goal against Exeter 1972. What a night

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 352
JimmyTheOne
July 29, 2010, 6:27pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Very random..... [don't ask me to remember the years, let alone the dates]

Keith Hickman scoring a hat-trick against a Japanese side pre-season

Always going to Sincil Bank and losing!

Graham Taylor going off injured after a bad tackle against York, then a free-for-all involving all the players, GT coming back on, and Town winning!

That FA Cup match with the "brick" incident

Marching band at half-time in the cup match vs Pompey, drew 1-1 and gave up hope only for Town to win the replay 3-1 - Portwood and Rafferty [?] scoring

Being able to watch the first half from the Pontoon, then decamping to the Osmond stand for second half

Newspaper sellers with half-time results in the GET going round inside the ground mid-way through second half

The first Exeter match in the McNenemy era postponed due to fog, walking out into bright sunshine on Grimsby Road by the ABC cinema

Getting tanked 5-0 at Selhurst Park in the early 2000s

Any game with Tees and Green up front

Ringing up BP Ticket Office before our first Wembley appearance and asking "have you sold many tickets?", only to be told "You're lucky, we've just had some more come through, the first 30,000 went like hot cakes" [note that I was living in London and could be excused for not knowing the level of fervent support]

Sitting in an empty away stand at Wrexham, 0-0 bore draw, but Burnett ran the midfield, then meeting the same guys I had sat behind on Wembley Way

Duncan Mackenzie [yes that Duncan Mackenzie!] setting fire to Roy Starling's hair in the Pontoon

Singing the Blaydon Races [why????] during the late 1960s in the Pontoon

is that random enough for all of you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 352
Les Brechin
July 29, 2010, 6:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from carrot top
Both goals at Bradford City in our 2-0 win 90/91 I think. Tommy Watson and Diddy Gilbert. Pure football class.

Great game that. I remember the whole of the away end singing "Yorkies, Yorkies, what's the score" which the bearded bloke who used to present The Big Match, Nick someone I think, mentioned on the highlights.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 352
jock dock tower
July 29, 2010, 7:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
1971-72 Championship season, players running around the pitch with placards saying "thank you" and "champions". The dozens of fans who watched the game on top of the Barratt Stand roof. The crowd invasion at the end. The 100th goal of the campaign when the 3rd goal went in (Chatterley?)
23,000 plus at the game, absolutely fcuking mindblowing.......

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 352
codcheeky
July 29, 2010, 7:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
hull city away when drinkell scored to make it 2-2 , went on the longest special train ever, down the embankment and through the fence straight in the ground without anyone paying. the whole match was chaos in the stands and the best atmosphere ever. the train full on the way there was so full on the way back you couldnt move
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 352
Bagshaw99
July 29, 2010, 7:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Lots of my best memories have already been mentioned but there are so many more:

Winning 4-2 away at Cardiff (84-85?) after being 2-0 down, with a forward line of Drinkell, Wilkinson and Lund, and crosses put in by Paul Emson.

Winning 6-1 at Millwall in the FA Cup in '81 after being 1-0 down. Trevor Whymark's best ever goal for us. Winning at Newcastle in the Cup the same year as well with Nigel Batch pulling off a world class save from Imre Banana near the end.

Managing to get to Exeter from London for a fiver with a Network South East railcard and a voucher from Boots (early 90s?) - only a 0-0 draw but a great day out, especially as we shared the coach with a load of trainspotters who were taping the journey and kept shoving a microphone out of the window every time the train went through a tunnel. They wanted to hear the sound of the wheels on the track but instead got an earful of Town songs each time.

That Goal by Joe Waters to beat Barnsley 3-2 after being 2-0 down at BP - better than Ricky Villa and Archie Gemmill but not a TV camera in sight.

Seeing a sensational winning goal away at Cardiff on a Tuesday night in the early '80s hit from near the halfway line with a huge tail wind which beat the keeper at our end and dropped in but the ref and linesman didn't give it as they were nowhere near (can't remember who 'scored').

Beating Wolves 5-1 (84-85?) in a televised match and then hearing their manager Tommy Docherty saying one was offside, one was an own goal and they almost had two more so it should have been a draw. John Helm said afterwards it was just about the most entertaining match he'd ever commented on.
Beating Huddersfield by the same scoreline on New Year's Day and getting drunk in the alcoholic fumes emitted by just about everyone in the Pontoon.

Calling out to ref George Courtney from the pontoon during that Huddersfield game and telling him to watch out as we were about to score from a corner. Which we did!

Bob Cumming's goal at Wrexham in the early 80s to make it 2-0 when the fog was so thick you could barely see the halfway line. Having got to the ground late I went into the home end by mistake with one other Town fan on the same train. As far as I am aware, we were the only Town fans who actually saw the goal. As the players went back into our half there was a belated roar from the away end as Nigel told them we'd scored.

The inflatables, from the fried egg and fire extinguisher at Reading to the Harry Haddocks at Wimbledon. No-one has ever done it better than we did at Plough Lane.

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 352
dapperz fun pub
July 29, 2010, 7:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,878
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from codcheeky
hull city away when drinkell scored to make it 2-2 , went on the longest special train ever, down the embankment and through the fence straight in the ground without anyone paying. the whole match was chaos in the stands and the best atmosphere ever. the train full on the way there was so full on the way back you couldnt move

my first ever away day on a special,what a night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 352
thornemariner
July 29, 2010, 7:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +617
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Bagshaw99
Lots of my best memories have already been mentioned but there are so many more:

Winning 4-2 away at Cardiff (84-85?) after being 2-0 down, with a forward line of Drinkell, Wilkinson and Lund, and crosses put in by Paul Emson.

Winning 6-1 at Millwall in the FA Cup in '81 after being 1-0 down. Trevor Whymark's best ever goal for us. Winning at Newcastle in the Cup the same year as well with Nigel Batch pulling off a world class save from Imre Banana near the end.

Managing to get to Exeter from London for a fiver with a Network South East railcard and a voucher from Boots (early 90s?) - only a 0-0 draw but a great day out, especially as we shared the coach with a load of trainspotters who were taping the journey and kept shoving a microphone out of the window every time the train went through a tunnel. They wanted to hear the sound of the wheels on the track but instead got an earful of Town songs each time.

That Goal by Joe Waters to beat Barnsley 3-2 after being 2-0 down at BP - better than Ricky Villa and Archie Gemmill but not a TV camera in sight.

Seeing a sensational winning goal away at Cardiff on a Tuesday night in the early '80s hit from near the halfway line with a huge tail wind which beat the keeper at our end and dropped in but the ref and linesman didn't give it as they were nowhere near (can't remember who 'scored').

Beating Wolves 5-1 (84-85?) in a televised match and then hearing their manager Tommy Docherty saying one was offside, one was an own goal and they almost had two more so it should have been a draw. John Helm said afterwards it was just about the most entertaining match he'd ever commented on.
Beating Huddersfield by the same scoreline on New Year's Day and getting drunk in the alcoholic fumes emitted by just about everyone in the Pontoon.

Calling out to ref George Courtney from the pontoon during that Huddersfield game and telling him to watch out as we were about to score from a corner. Which we did!

Bob Cumming's goal at Wrexham in the early 80s to make it 2-0 when the fog was so thick you could barely see the halfway line. Having got to the ground late I went into the home end by mistake with one other Town fan on the same train. As far as I am aware, we were the only Town fans who actually saw the goal. As the players went back into our half there was a belated roar from the away end as Nigel told them we'd scored.

The inflatables, from the fried egg and fire extinguisher at Reading to the Harry Haddocks at Wimbledon. No-one has ever done it better than we did at Plough Lane.

Hi Jim.

Some crackers there. On that train to Exeter, the trainspotters were getting all the swearing as well as we caught each other out cheating whilst playing cards. The looks we got drinking Scrumpy Jack at half nine in the morning.

What about those cross country trips to the West Midlands and further north via Reading to avoid the booze ban and chanting "trainspotters hahaha" every time we came into Birmingham NS followed by "Where's your anorak?". Giving all that abuse made me realise that it was well and truly matchday.

Going to Asda near Molineux and getting cases of lager with free bottles of vodka and singing all the way back to Reading in First Class. Then getting that p*ssed up Chelsea fan to buy all the rounds after he was sick in the bin on the train door.

Going back to Heathrow on the railair bus from Reading, I'd always have a snakebite and back in my hand and the driver would just say "Terminal 1?"

Coventry in the minibus in 1989 where we trashed the lamp post and had to tie the bumper to the van with Town scarves.

Gillingham away in 1990 and abusing those travellers outside the ground who were having a domestic.

Meet the gang 'cos the boys are here.

What a great thread!

Private Message
Reply: 159 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.