Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 34 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,348 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
oldfootballer
August 10, 2010, 6:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
One of the most proudest times for me was when we played at Coventry in the famous 1.0 FA cup defeat in 1971.
going out on the pitch before the game and realising just how many fans had turned up from Grimsby, never been so proud in my life.

Then Lew Chatterley coming up to me and saying wee man this is what football is all about now get out there and show them fantastic supporters what you are all about , and we did unfortunatly we got beat with a disputed penalty in the last minute scored by a Grimsby guy who played for Coventry, then then the same guy  had the cheek to turn up at the Flamingo later on that night while most of our players were there., well we all wanted to kill him

forgot his name now
I AM SURE SOMEBODY WILL REMIND ME.old footballer

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 320 - 352
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 10, 2010, 7:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Mick Coop

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 321 - 352
gobby
August 10, 2010, 8:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
17th December 1983, Town v Chelsea, Town 2 0 down at half time and Tony Ford scored one of the best if not the best goal I ever saw at Stamford Bridge and it inspired Town to a 3 - 2 victory, also significant because it was the day the IRA decided to bomb Harrods.
I also believe Town finished in the top 6 that season (5th?)
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 322 - 352
forza ivano
August 10, 2010, 8:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from gobby
17th December 1983, Town v Chelsea, Town 2 0 down at half time and Tony Ford scored one of the best if not the best goal I ever saw at Stamford Bridge and it inspired Town to a 3 - 2 victory, also significant because it was the day the IRA decided to bomb Harrods.
I also believe Town finished in the top 6 that season (5th?)
UTMM

that wasa great one for me too.me and my brother went on the train from aylesbury with all our chelsea supporting mates who spent the whole journey taking the pisss, little gy,fish, the smell etc etc etc
needless to say they were v.v. quiet on the way home whilst us 2 drowned rats (open terrace in them days and it just poured down) grinned like a couple of cheshire cats   happy days

don't suppose there is any footage of that game is there????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 323 - 352
gobby
August 10, 2010, 8:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from forza ivano

that wasa great one for me too.me and my brother went on the train from aylesbury with all our chelsea supporting mates who spent the whole journey taking the pisss, little gy,fish, the smell etc etc etc
needless to say they were v.v. quiet on the way home whilst us 2 drowned rats (open terrace in them days and it just poured down) grinned like a couple of cheshire cats   happy days

Not seen any footage, I was actually sat behind the dugouts as I was a club member of Chelsea FC in those days so it was not a happy time for me on the train home to Grimsby that day!
Obviously I have since seen the light!
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 324 - 352
Les Brechin
August 10, 2010, 8:53am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from forza ivano

I'm fairly sure that there wont be any footage at all because I think all concerned with tv/press etc were called in to cover the Harrods bombing that day.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 325 - 352
somersetmariner
August 10, 2010, 10:51am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
One of my first away games as a teenager was at leeds road, huddersfield, we were in a massive open stand. Town played in Red and we chanted 'Red Army' for the whole game..........Cant remember the score nor who played or what year, i just remember the brilliant chanting!

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 326 - 352
Basingstoke Mariner
August 10, 2010, 1:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Most of my favourite memories are from around the same period, when I was living in GY and had a season ticket -

John Oster's free kick against Derby. We were all expecting it.

Terry Cooke's fantastic volley in the dying minutes at Norwich.

Pouton ensuring he got the match ball after both he and Boulding had scored hat tricks.

Michael Jeffrey scoring the equaliser against Palace after being 2-0 down after 89 minutes.

Going top of the Championship the day England beat Germany 5-1 (also the first time I fingered a girl, what a day that was)

Muscat getting sent off and then Todd scoring the winner.

Zhang Enhua scoring his first goal for us and then running along the Pontoon.

So many happy memories. Still plenty of time to create a lot more!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 327 - 352
Les Brechin
August 10, 2010, 1:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
Most of my favourite memories are from around the same period, when I was living in GY and had a season ticket -

John Oster's free kick against Derby. We were all expecting it.

Terry Cooke's fantastic volley in the dying minutes at Norwich.

Pouton ensuring he got the match ball after both he and Boulding had scored hat tricks.

Michael Jeffrey scoring the equaliser against Palace after being 2-0 down after 89 minutes.

Going top of the Championship the day England beat Germany 5-1 (also the first time I fingered a girl, what a day that was)

Muscat getting sent off and then Todd scoring the winner.

Zhang Enhua scoring his first goal for us and then running along the Pontoon.

So many happy memories. Still plenty of time to create a lot more!

I think everyone in the ground that day knew what Oster was going to do apart from their keeper.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 328 - 352
psgmariner
August 10, 2010, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

What a day!

Private Message
Reply: 329 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.