Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,354 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Little Mariner
July 30, 2010, 8:20am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Jeez, I was at a lot of those games,
Foggy Wrexham,  NIgel Nigel whats the score
Foggy Exeter at home abandoned
Those 3-2s at chesterfield

You fill up my senses
Like a barrell of Tetley's
Like a  packet of woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Nunsthorpe
Like a greasy chip butty
Like the Super Black and Whites
Come fill me again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 352
Rodley Mariner
July 30, 2010, 9:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
One of the best away games I can remember is beating Tranmere 1-0 at Prenton Park. Ivano got the only goal and John Aldridge missed a late penno. I think they might have battered us a bit and Crichton played a bit of a blinder. We went second in what's now The Championship with those three points. Remember coming away thinking we might just make The Premiership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 352
JimmyTheOne
July 30, 2010, 12:25pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Another one...

Remember BT running telly ads with a theme on "Save money"  and in the background clips of great saves, including one by Paul Crichton against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup 95/96 season?  

That year's run in the cup started with hammering Luton 7-1 at BP, with Bonetti untouchable, then the "plate of chicken" incident at Luton; next round West Ham away, but postponed to a mid week because of snow; everyone cheering Ivano at Upton Park, then Laws scoring late on to earn a replay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 1:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from Bagshaw99
Millwall was always good for a laugh too, like when were taking the mick out of Casey Keller with chants of 'Ho Chi Min's Black and White Army' and 'Where were you in World War Two?' We lost the game 2-1 but played well and Macca scored a rare goal. Never had a problem at Millwall games and nearly always had some banter with the locals. A proper club with proper supporters, just like us.

Bloody hell, I can remember you lot and that chant!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Bagshaw99

Beating Wolves 5-1 (84-85?) in a televised match and then hearing their manager Tommy Docherty saying one was offside, one was an own goal and they almost had two more so it should have been a draw. John Helm said afterwards it was just about the most entertaining match he'd ever commented on.

The first game I ever took my ex-missus to. Got there a couple of mins late and missed the first goal. She seemed to enjoy it and I thought, that's that Saturday problem solved then. She only made 2 more games over the next 2 decades.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 352
Les Brechin
July 30, 2010, 1:30pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
I remember that West Ham FA Cup game wasn't called off until the Saturday morning. Because of the heavy snow on the day the A46 was blocked at Cabourne hill so our coach went down The A180/M180 to the Lincoln A15 turn off. We got about 5 miles down the A15 when news came through that the game was off.

A good job it was really as the weather was worsening by the minute and I doubt we would have got there anyway.

I also remember the Chelsea replay in the following round when there was an IRA bomb scare in London that evening and all the roads into London were gridlocked. We finally arrived about 30 minutes late and after the game found out that our coach had had its front tyres slashed.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 1:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Anyone remember the nutter who shimmied up one of the beams in the Ponny in the late 80s? Copper tried to catch him but slid down to chorus of 'He's going up he's going up - you're not, you're not!'

Boulding and Allen destyoying Palace and Wimbledn's defenders in back to back league games in second tier in 2002.

Tiny Jamie Forrester chipping Luton's giant keeper in the 7-1 FA Cup drubbing in late 90s?

Livvo half killing Casey Keller as he bundled player and ball into the net against Leicester in League Cup in 1997/8 season

Watching Ivano glide through a sea of Norwich defenders before producing an inch perfect cross for Groves (I think?) to head home in 2-2 at Carrow Road in 95/96

I just about remember that Norwich game*. Very cold day in December. Millwall were top of the League that day, I think we were 4th and look how it ended up for us both that season. But there was real belief that we could be in with a chance that year.

* I ended up having "more than enough" that night. Travelling back to London on my own and meeting 3 other Town fans (2 of whom lived within a couple of miles from where I was living). We persuaded the steward(ess) to keep the buffet bar open and she entertained us by sitting on the floor and catching peanuts in her mouth. Then on to Coopers at Waterloo which had a deal on and you could get a round of 3 pints for £5, but we'd run out of cash and there was a min £10 charge for using cards so we made every round a pint and double whiskey chaser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 352
FishOutOfWater
July 30, 2010, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from barralad

That was an amazing game. Batchy had so much "free time" he was able to practically give us a kick by kick report on what was going on. How the game finished is a complete mystery.

This is a BRILLIANT thread

Funny how others remember this game....it was quite surreal,  cheering goals we hadn't seen but just knew about because the players had told us and we saw Town line up when Wrexham kicked off again!

It's my only visit to the Racecourse and though you could hardly see a thing, it stands out in my memories
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 187 - 352
thornemariner
July 30, 2010, 1:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 22

Bloody hell, I can remember you lot and that chant!

Guilty as charged. Think the chant went over most people's heads though. Think we sang "Jack the Ripper is our friend" on the Underground as well.

We always missed the kick off because we would have yet another drink at London Bridge, miss another train and have another and so on.

As Jim said, never had a problem. Always a good day out. Watering hole used to be the Market Porter near London Bridge but in latter years, the Founders.

Away wins at Charlton bring back fond memories. Always a good day out.

Playing the sodden pitch perfectly at Brentford in 2003.

The packed White Hart for an hour before the footie specials left for Sheffield and everyone guzzling as much as possible in that time.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 352
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 30, 2010, 1:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The Liverpool cup match when we lost 5-0 and the first time Dean Crombie played left back.

We went on one of Peter Sheff's "reserve" coaches, the ones with an outside toilet and an interior exhaust pipe.

Walking down to the turnstile was a lad of about 10 with his dad in front of us. A group of Liverpool yobs walked by them and ripped the Town scarf and hat off the lad and were away.

Lovely people the scousers, salt of the earth.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.