Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,519 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
July 30, 2010, 11:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from gary_elton
3 - 1 home to Leicester in league (?) cup.... my pal Mike Riley reffed it... got me and friends in for free... we had silver service in the lounge... ha !
1 - 0 down at half time.... second half... fook me.... superb !!! oh yesssss.........

Remember saying to my mate at half time that we were heading for a real hammering. The second half was so un-Buckley like I half expected to see him on YTV's mid-week match later apologising for the way Town played. From a fans eye view it was magnificent.

IMO Kevin Jobling had his best game in a Town shirt that night...superb./

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 352
barralad
July 30, 2010, 11:18pm
Mariners Trust
League Cup away game v Huddersfield late 70's early 80's(?). It was the second leg of a two legged round. We won 1-0 at B.P. first leg and the Hudders fans thought they'd cracked it with the home leg to come. We went there and won 4-1

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 352
barralad
July 30, 2010, 11:20pm
Mariners Trust
Reading away in 79/80 towards the end of the season. A lot of Town fans flew down to Heathrow.

At half time the Reading hooligan element sent one of their members round with a white flag and a letter inviting the Town faithful to a fight....Unfortunately no-one had an RSVP

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 352
gary_elton
July 30, 2010, 11:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

Remember saying to my mate at half time that we were heading for a real hammering. The second half was so un-Buckley like I half expected to see him on YTV's mid-week match later apologising for the way Town played. From a fans eye view it was magnificent.

IMO Kevin Jobling had his best game in a Town shirt that night...superb./

Jobbers.... one of the most un-appreciated grafters in a town shirt... just one of those rock-steady get on with it players....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 352
gtfc6
July 30, 2010, 11:25pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Livvo getting knocked out

Coming back from Preston away and seeing Fulham (I think) in the services, Dave Beasant was with them so I got his autograph and had my pic taken with him

Jack Lester's hat trick against Oldham

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 352
gary_elton
July 30, 2010, 11:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
working in Turkey... suffering from severe food poisoning... so ill I was unable to get out of my bed for three days...
to be woken up on a saturday by a watford fan to be told we had won 1 - 0 at Newcastle ( thank you Jim  Dobbin )
and dragged to the bar where I was fed medicine ( grape juice ) in copious amounts whilst still in pyjamas...
ended up so pxssed I was able to return to work next morning.... ha ha  illegitimates those work colleagues....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 352
FishOutOfWater
July 31, 2010, 12:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from barralad
League Cup away game v Huddersfield late 70's early 80's(?). It was the second leg of a two legged round. We won 1-0 at B.P. first leg and the Hudders fans thought they'd cracked it with the home leg to come. We went there and won 4-1

That was a cracking performance by Town and I remember the Huddersfield manager afterwards using it to motivate his team, saying if his lads wanted to play the game the same way as we did, they'd get their rewards....and I'm pretty sure they got promoted the following season

The only bad thing about the night was after we'd obviously put them out of the cup loads of their fans left early but then started throwing bricks over on to the open terrace where we were...it was a pretty mean feat trying to dodge them coming out of the night sky
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 216 - 352
thornemariner
July 31, 2010, 10:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

That was a cracking performance by Town and I remember the Huddersfield manager afterwards using it to motivate his team, saying if his lads wanted to play the game the same way as we did, they'd get their rewards....and I'm pretty sure they got promoted the following season

The only bad thing about the night was after we'd obviously put them out of the cup loads of their fans left early but then started throwing bricks over on to the open terrace where we were...it was a pretty mean feat trying to dodge them coming out of the night sky

Reminds me of winning 4 1 at Middlesbrough in 1982 and going top of the old second division.
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 352
TownSNAFU5
July 31, 2010, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42

My thanks to Les Brechin and 1 or 2 others who corrected my memory.  At least it shows I did not rely on any reference books.  It was DAVID Cross of course for West Ham.  Well it was late in the day and I was rushing.  I only have a vague recollection of him scoring a 4th goal.  I remember one goal was a header from abour 3 yards out in front of the Pontoon.  

I also remember Gordon Durie scoring now.   It was very neat and clinical.  Even Linekeresque!

Somebody mentioned big Gordon Walker in an earlier post.  He scored one crackering shot from outside the box.  The Telegraph forecast that he had more potential than X or Y.  He soon disappeared without trace though. Great shame.

My Dad and his dad were also keen Town fans.  It is quite possible that both of them went to the famous Old Trafford FA Cup Semi Final in the late 30s. My dad is in his late 80s now, but we do not have a good relationship so I can't ask him.

The match, against Wolves,  is still the record attendance at OT (76,962).  It is still the record FA Cup semi defeat (5-0).   However, and it is a big however,  there were no substitutes allowed in those days. I believe that we had George Tweedy, a good England keeper, injured a few days before the match.  During the game the reserve keeper also went off injured.  We were down to 10 men with no goalie.

The game was possibly the biggest Town away following in our history.  Who knows?  Maybe Wolves as a bigger club were given more tickets?

Any very old timers still alive may remember going to the match.  I hate to mention any possible names on here!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 352
Les Brechin
July 31, 2010, 10:54am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
It is also documented somewhere that if Town got to Wembley we were planning on sailing several trawlers down The River Thames for the final.

Whether that's just a myth I'm not sure though.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.