Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 28 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,523 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Bagshaw99
August 1, 2010, 12:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
It always used to make me laugh at how Mike Czuczman's name was pronounced over the tannoy at away games. At Chelsea he was once referred to as 'Sezuckerman' but the best was probably (can't remember at which ground) 'Crutchman'.  

That and other clubs' attempts to spell Grimsby on their scoreboards, usually Grisby, Grimbsy or Grimby.

"That Grimsby team was pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football."    Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 352
In Cod We Trust
August 1, 2010, 12:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
I remember standing and applauding at Anfield when Michael Owen bagged his first senior hat-trick against (at the time of the match) the tightest defence in the league and John Oster's sublime chip in the 7-1 tanking at Hillsborough.

I also remember the God that is Mark Lever playing the mother hen role with Oster. On one occasion he ran half the length of the pitch to get involved after Oster had been clattered infront of the Pontoon. I can't remember who it was against though.

Quoted from wycombemariner
5 years minimum if we go down, you mark my words!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 352
Abdul19
August 1, 2010, 3:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from In Cod We Trust
I remember standing and applauding at Anfield when Michael Owen bagged his first senior hat-trick

The cheating little prick dived for the penalty though!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 352
coddy60
August 1, 2010, 5:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Abdul19

The cheating little prick dived for the penalty though!

Mark Lever told me he had a "discussion" with Owen and Macmanaman on the way off the pitch, and was told that it definitely wasnt a pen but hey this is Anfield!
Another random memory, Lever doing pre-season training with our Sunday league team and looking the worst player there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
August 1, 2010, 6:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Lever = Legend. Not the most talented footballer but did his job very well. The pinacle was the Northampton Wembley game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 352
gary_elton
August 1, 2010, 7:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

I can't find any reference to Churchy scoring against The Eagles.

as I said... wasnt sure... just remember the raised arms and revelling in the tumultuous din that erupted forth from the old
Barretts.... remember the sendings off... time sometimes does things to the memory... I think.... what time is it now ?

We will have to wait a long time for anything similar methinks....

but it was GOOD !!!

Tablet time... NURSE !!!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 352
barralad
August 1, 2010, 8:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Paddymariner

Oh that's right Keith Brown. Long dark haired left winger. I have a photo of that team in my living room because my Dad is on the photo. That book is brilliant, pity it hasn't been updated.

Paddy: The best book for updated facts and figures is "The Grimsby Town Story" by Dave Wherry, the Louth Town fan. The team photo from that season is in the book.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 352
Paddymariner
August 1, 2010, 9:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from barralad

Paddy: The best book for updated facts and figures is "The Grimsby Town Story" by Dave Wherry, the Louth Town fan. The team photo from that season is in the book.

Cheers Barra I'll get a copy. I was looking for the Complete History one today because of the anecdotes on the game versus Palace. Couldn't find it anywhere. Thinks the misses has thrown it away (female dog, she supports Norwich).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 352
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 1, 2010, 9:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jock dock tower
Keith was always a talented footballer. He was in the year below me at the Technical School in Eleanor Street, and had school teams not been drawn specifically on age lines, he'd have been more than capable of playing in the age group at least two years above him. Remember playing in a  friendly one Saturday morning at the St. James school about 1969 (no age worries in friendlies) and he announced that his mum had promised him 2 bob if he scored a hat trick. He only got two, but announced at school on the Monday that he'd got 1 shilling and 4 pence (2.3 of  2 bob, worth about 7 pence in today's money)
The Grimsby Town Complete Record is often available on ebay and Amazon, and can often be picked up for about the £25 mark.

Keith was a good Nunsthorpe lad, just like Tony Ford.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 352
theicenian
August 1, 2010, 9:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1

Keith was a good Nunsthorpe lad, just like Tony Ford.

The temptation is too great and no offence meant Ron but

Those that get on the pitch from the Nunny these days aren't as good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.