Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,537 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
siy2k5
July 28, 2010, 11:47pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from Tommy
Another one-

After scoring 1 goal in the first 6 games of 1998/99, beating WBA 5-1 at BP.

Was that Buckers WBA? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Memory is a tad hazy lol

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 352
Tommy
July 28, 2010, 11:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from siy2k5

Was that Buckers WBA? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Memory is a tad hazy lol

No, this one was when Buckley was back here for his second spell and at the beginning of the season in the championship after winning the play off final at Wembley months before.

The one you are probably thinking of is the one i mentioned in my post straight above that one, when Buckleys WBA came to town in about 1996 and Ivano Bonetti's goal won it 1-0.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 352
siy2k5
July 28, 2010, 11:52pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from Tommy

No, this one was when Buckley was back here for his second spell and at the beginning of the season in the championship after winning the play off final at Wembley months before.

The one you are probably thinking of is the one i mentioned in my post straight above that one, when Buckleys WBA came to town in about 1996 and Ivano Bonetti's goal won it 1-0.

Ah right my bad, knew Buckley was involved somewhere

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 352
Les Brechin
July 29, 2010, 12:03am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

The crowd at Blundell Park chanting to Spurs "What is is like to be out-classed", as we outplayed them but could not score.  Then Lineker scored 3 goals for Spurs to win 3-0. He showed us what class and clinical finishing in front of goal really is.

I thought Lineker only scored the 1 that night. I'm sure Gordon "Jukebox" Durie got one of the goals and the other was David Howells I think.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 352
coddy60
July 29, 2010, 12:26am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

I thought Lineker only scored the 1 that night. I'm sure Gordon "Jukebox" Durie got one of the goals and the other was David Howells I think.

That sounds right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 352
santiago1407
July 29, 2010, 3:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
John Cockerill's goal against Huddersfield in the 4-1 win at BP. Gilberts superb first time reverse pass that sent Cokers away down the left and finishes at keepers near post. Pure class
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 352
jock dock tower
July 29, 2010, 4:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
[quote=1541]They say that dreams are more important than memories.  At the moment, we are safer and happier looking back. I have a mixed bag of memories - good and bad.  Most from my earliest Town matches:

Doug Collins' outstanding performance against Burnley in the League Cup - around 1968.  They were established Premiership equivalent, we were fourth Division.  Doug was not a great player for us - but he was that night.  He had a 30 - 35 yard from shot from in front of the Barrat stand that hit the bar.  We drew 2-2.  We lost the replay by 6 or 7 goals.  Burnley bought him (for £27K I think) and he became an outstanding midfielder for them over a number of seasons in the Prem.   He is regarded by them as a legend now.  At the time they had a number of outstanding players.

Stan Bowles playing for Crewe, as an unknown star, in a night match at Blundell Park.  Around 1970.  The pitch was water-logged but he danced through our team whilst all others were slipping over.  We wondered "who is this guy with the great ball skills?". This is the fourth division.

Matt Tees scoring at home against Hull at home -mid to late 60s.  I was in the ground at 1-30 as I was so excited.

Kevin Kilmore hat-trick in 3-2 FA Cup win at Chesterfield (1979).  We were 2-0 down.   We drew the first game and did not think we had much of a chance.  This win set up the money-spinning glory match at Liverpool.  I was in Germany at the time in the RAF and would have missed the great game.  However, managed to get a course in the UK and went to the game.  

Losing 5-1 at home to West Ham in80/81, when we thought we had a fair chance of getting in the Premiership equivalent,  Roger Cross got 3 goals I think.  WHU were far too good for us and had 7 or 8 players selected in the divisional team. West Ham fans were in at least 3 stands.

Michael Owen's first senior hat-trick.  The second goal was one of his best.

The crowd at Blundell Park chanting to Spurs "What is is like to be out-classed", as we outplayed them but could not score.  Then Lineker scored 3 goals for Spurs to win 3-0. He showed us what class and clinical finishing in front of goal really is.

THE goal at Liverpool.  I thought it was going to burst the net and come toward me.

Wayne's golden goal at Wembley.  Again, I was in the right place behind the goal.  We thought the cup was "micky mouse" but we sure did want to win it!

Do any other old-timers remember Doug Collins v Burnley and Stan Bowles on that very wet night?

It was the 71-2 Championship season, and the only time that the promotion bandwagon took a wee funny turn. We'd just won at the Old Show Ground 2-1 with Matt Tees getting both the Town goals, the gates were into 5 figures, and bang, we lost 2-3 at home to Crewe, and then 0-1 home to Southport the following Saturday. A 0-3 reversal at Northampton the following Saturday really made it look like we'd started to bottle it, but after the turn of the year we won 17, drew 4 and lost 4 out of the next 25 games and the rest is history.
Bowles was totally something else....but Crewe have always had the knack of turning up gems....David Platt, Peter Beardsley and others.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 352
pseudonym
July 29, 2010, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from Les Brechin

You are correct Les

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 352
pseudonym
July 29, 2010, 5:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
They say that dreams are more important than memories.  At the moment, we are safer and happier looking back. I have a mixed bag of memories - good and bad.  Most from my earliest Town matches:

Doug Collins' outstanding performance against Burnley in the League Cup - around 1968.  They were established Premiership equivalent, we were fourth Division.  Doug was not a great player for us - but he was that night.  He had a 30 - 35 yard from shot from in front of the Barrat stand that hit the bar.  We drew 2-2.  We lost the replay by 6 or 7 goals.  Burnley bought him (for £27K I think) and he became an outstanding midfielder for them over a number of seasons in the Prem.   He is regarded by them as a legend now.  At the time they had a number of outstanding players.

Stan Bowles playing for Crewe, as an unknown star, in a night match at Blundell Park.  Around 1970.  The pitch was water-logged but he danced through our team whilst all others were slipping over.  We wondered "who is this guy with the great ball skills?". This is the fourth division.

Matt Tees scoring at home against Hull at home -mid to late 60s.  I was in the ground at 1-30 as I was so excited.

Kevin Kilmore hat-trick in 3-2 FA Cup win at Chesterfield (1979).  We were 2-0 down.   We drew the first game and did not think we had much of a chance.  This win set up the money-spinning glory match at Liverpool.  I was in Germany at the time in the RAF and would have missed the great game.  However, managed to get a course in the UK and went to the game.  

Losing 5-1 at home to West Ham in80/81, when we thought we had a fair chance of getting in the Premiership equivalent,  Roger Cross got 3 goals I think.  WHU were far too good for us and had 7 or 8 players selected in the divisional team. West Ham fans were in at least 3 stands.

Michael Owen's first senior hat-trick.  The second goal was one of his best.

THE goal at Liverpool.  I thought it was going to burst the net and come toward me.

Wayne's golden goal at Wembley.  Again, I was in the right place behind the goal.  We thought the cup was "micky mouse" but we sure did want to win it!

Do any other old-timers remember Doug Collins v Burnley and Stan Bowles on that very wet night?
Roger Cross ? David Cross scored 4

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 352
Abdul19
July 29, 2010, 6:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,558
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Tommy
The day 9/11 happened.

9/11?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.