Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,276 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
July 28, 2010, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,179
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Les Brechin

And IIRC our infamous manager Mike L**ns scored one of our goals that day.

First time i can recall the phrase " Grimsby grit " being used was the build up to that game,by ML, he also referred to Arsenal as "fancy dans" haha.
Of course Grimsby grit is used alot more now....least i think thats what they shout, ....my hearings going a bit now..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 352
barralad
July 28, 2010, 9:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Is that the game where there is a brilliant black and white picture of Drinks and Kilmore wheeling away in celebration and a bog roll is sailing through the air from the town end?

That was the league game. I think the three Kevins scored that day.....(Kev Moore got sent off!)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 352
barralad
July 28, 2010, 9:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Forrester scoring a third against West Ham in a cup replay and two West Ham defenders running back to try to stop him with "What the f**k is going on here" expressions on their faces..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 352
louth_in_the_south
July 28, 2010, 10:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,638
Gold Stars: 94
My mate being smacked straight in the face by a 25 yard screamer , knocking him off the barrier behind the ad boards just to the left of the goal in the ponny against wigan in that cup game early 90's . He fell 4ft onto the concrete and picked himself off the floor , his nose pi ssing blood and the ponny giving him a massive aaarrrhh ! Brilliant .

.... and then he left early , missed crofts last minute winner and got smacked by a wigan lad outside the imp !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 352
jock dock tower
July 28, 2010, 10:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

jan 86 3-4 to the goons  

Also on MOTD after it had been off the air for about a year due to funding issues I think. Charlie Nicholas's only hat trick for the bottom.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 352
AtkinGtfc
July 28, 2010, 10:30pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
this could be completly wrong but we was playing forest at home, dave beasant playing for forest handled ball outside of area, and nearly every town fan applauded him going off and he was clapping aswell and from the resulting free kick we scored and it was a cracker ,seem to remember it resulting in a 4-2 win ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 352
TownSNAFU5
July 28, 2010, 11:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,822
Gold Stars: 42
They say that dreams are more important than memories.  At the moment, we are safer and happier looking back. I have a mixed bag of memories - good and bad.  Most from my earliest Town matches:

Doug Collins' outstanding performance against Burnley in the League Cup - around 1968.  They were established Premiership equivalent, we were fourth Division.  Doug was not a great player for us - but he was that night.  He had a 30 - 35 yard from shot from in front of the Barrat stand that hit the bar.  We drew 2-2.  We lost the replay by 6 or 7 goals.  Burnley bought him (for £27K I think) and he became an outstanding midfielder for them over a number of seasons in the Prem.   He is regarded by them as a legend now.  At the time they had a number of outstanding players.

Stan Bowles playing for Crewe, as an unknown star, in a night match at Blundell Park.  Around 1970.  The pitch was water-logged but he danced through our team whilst all others were slipping over.  We wondered "who is this guy with the great ball skills?". This is the fourth division.

Matt Tees scoring at home against Hull at home -mid to late 60s.  I was in the ground at 1-30 as I was so excited.

Kevin Kilmore hat-trick in 3-2 FA Cup win at Chesterfield (1979).  We were 2-0 down.   We drew the first game and did not think we had much of a chance.  This win set up the money-spinning glory match at Liverpool.  I was in Germany at the time in the RAF and would have missed the great game.  However, managed to get a course in the UK and went to the game.  

Losing 5-1 at home to West Ham in80/81, when we thought we had a fair chance of getting in the Premiership equivalent,  Roger Cross got 3 goals I think.  WHU were far too good for us and had 7 or 8 players selected in the divisional team. West Ham fans were in at least 3 stands.

Michael Owen's first senior hat-trick.  The second goal was one of his best.

The crowd at Blundell Park chanting to Spurs "What is is like to be out-classed", as we outplayed them but could not score.  Then Lineker scored 3 goals for Spurs to win 3-0. He showed us what class and clinical finishing in front of goal really is.

THE goal at Liverpool.  I thought it was going to burst the net and come toward me.

Wayne's golden goal at Wembley.  Again, I was in the right place behind the goal.  We thought the cup was "micky mouse" but we sure did want to win it!

Do any other old-timers remember Doug Collins v Burnley and Stan Bowles on that very wet night?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 352
theicenian
July 28, 2010, 11:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Yep,I sure do remember Dougie playing out of his skin in that game.   He had been leading up to it,occassional flashes in the games before it but for that game he put it all together.  All that blond hair flying about the place too which kinda made him popular with the distaff side.  Our very own Denis Law.

And what do you say about Stanley,he was a genius with the ball at his feet.  Earlier Johnny Scott was mentioned and I asked what he could do with todays football,don't you just wonder what Stan would do on the billiard tables they play on now with todays beachballs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 352
Tommy
July 28, 2010, 11:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Mendonca's hat trick in comeback game against Ipswich 1996.

7-1 win against Luton in FA Cup 1996. First time i'd seen a game in the lower findus.

Sheffield Wednesday 7-1 Town 1997. First time i'd seen us score away at a Premiership ground. Great goal too.

Atmosphere's at the West Ham cup replay at home and the Buckleys WBA home game. Best i'd seen/heard up to then.

Beating Coventry at Highfield Road in 2001 after they just came down from the premiership and we were fighting to be top of the championship. Great to be singing "we are top of the league" that day. Even though we were actually 2nd as Bradford had won as well.

3-3 with Sheffield United in the league cup the round before Liverpool. The day 9/11 happened. Often gets forgotten because of what happened at Anfield but a great game for 120 minutes and a penalty shoot out win.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 352
Tommy
July 28, 2010, 11:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Another one-

After scoring 1 goal in the first 6 games of 1998/99, beating WBA 5-1 at BP.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.