Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,292 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
pseudonym
August 2, 2010, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Being tied to the open corner seats against West Brom a week before getting married in 2000. Lee Ashcroft's idea.
As luck had it the stewards unchained me at half time as it was raining. We won 2-0. I know David Nielsen scored, not
sure is Smudge got the other. Anyone know.

Went to Vicarage Road the following week, the day before the wedding to receive a phone call that Lee Ashcroft was
taken off injured at (Rotherham I think) so he couldn't be best man. I asked the late great Bernard Morley if he
would oblige to be his replacement only to find that Ashy was okay. Ashy has supposedly lost his voice so couldn't
do the wedding speech (Swanny stood in as replacement). As soon as speech was complete Ashy got his voice back !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 352
pseudonym
August 2, 2010, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from batman
extremely random, but always sticks in my mind:

not so long ago away at chester, in  the end i think we won 2-0 with 2 identical late goals by andy taylor(?)

anyway the game was dull as fook up to then and the reff was awful, i will never forget a kid (no older than 6/7), shouting really cheesy insults at the reff, then out of nowhere came the high pitched voice 'REFFEREE YOUR FCUKING SHYTE!!!!' ha and it was of course the little nipper... made me chuckle
Didn't Gary Jones score one of those. 2006-2007 season ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 352
pseudonym
August 2, 2010, 6:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
Town being led out by their we mascot in the 1960's, Clive Spencer. Used to play in the same B.B. team.

Haven't seen Clive for years. I played in the Main Stand Junior Club team of the mid-sixties guided by the late Bernard Morley. Clive was one of our strikeforce. Des Chapman, John & Dave Mawer, Steve McCormick, Chris Meadows to name but a few were also part of the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 352
pseudonym
August 2, 2010, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariner16

Was on the supporter bus that night, which backed up over a bollard outside the ground before the game and damaged something, so had to wait a while after the game for a replacement bus to arrive...all we wanted to do was get out of Hartlepool that night!

Correct. The main Hartlepool stewards wouldn't let us park near the ground entrance and told us to go further down the road and turn the coach round. Think the road was being widened and it was extremely difficult to turn the coach round. Yorkie Phil the Wilbys driver lost the plot and rammed it into the bollards (accident ?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 352
DJ Mera
August 2, 2010, 6:43pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +18 / 0
Approval: +1
A lot of mine mentioned before but here goes

23,000 packed into BP the night we won the championship

a Reserve game at BP vs York Res (when we played on Saturday afternoon) and big George McClean scoring from the halfway line into the pontoon end net after being gifted the ball by the York goalkeeper.

That Cup game at Coventry and seeing the coaches streaming down the A46 in convoy

HT scores being put on the fence by young guys.

Waiting for the gate to open at half time so you could get in free (young and skint in those days)

Going to Hull mid 60's by train and when we arrived at New Holland to change to he Ferry saw about 12 Britannia Class loco's in the sidings all football specials and thinking what a support we going to have today

Leaving Grimsby on a cold and snowy morning by train to us V Man City in Cup and getting into bright sunlight once we crossed the pennines

Seeing Town put 7 past Ray Clemence when he played for the Scunts

My first visit to BP on a Good Friday against Rotherham 1-1 (late 50's)

Wife calling me for my tea now so will end it with 55+ yrs of Happiness & Heartache
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 352
LondonMariner43
August 2, 2010, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
I'll never forget Proudlock's penalty miss at Aldershot and the longer we stay in the BSP the more it will haunt.  Remain convinced that three points that day would have given the momentum and confidence earlier - instead it just extended the winless run.

Always seems to be the bad results that last in the memory.  I remember 1-5 at home to West Ham when we were challenging for promotion to old Div one.  Like the Aldershot game it knocked us back at a crucial time in the run in.  

Will never forget Marc North's missed pen that took us down from old Div two.

One of the best memories... 4-1 opener against Exeter - only my second game and the start of the Kerr/Booth era.

Also winning 1-0 away at Fulham with a late Livvo goal... Was sitting in the away end but luckily it was the family section and we got away with cheering a little!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 352
barralad
August 2, 2010, 7:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I was there that day but it didn't really register as that much of a bad result....end of season ish performance where despite the goings on out on the pitch, from what I recall it was a pleasant enough day.

Can't imagine Buckley was that pleased though!

Actually going back a bit further, it was a bit like the thumping I saw us get at Cambridge at the end of the 80-81 season....despite the goals raining in, still a good day out

That was a funny old game. Players obviously on holiday early. We stood on a small open terrace behind one goal and kept up a chant for about 60 minutes despite goals going into Batch's net at regular intervals. The Police made us park on some boggy meadow type area and a lot of the cars and a mini bus got stuck in mud. As the wheels spun mud was going everywhere.

Going back to the Millwall cup tie. It'd been postponed on the Saturday. We hired a mini-bus, foolishly had Ready Rent a Van on the side. Befriended a pub landlord who let us park in his car park behind the pub out of sight. After the sixth goal went in we wondered how on earth we were going to get out of East London alive. We waited an hour after the game and then set off. About two miles up the road we stopped for petrol but couldn't work out how to get the cap off the petrol tank. Had to get the RAC out. Took them an hour. There was a pub across the road and as it was chucking out (no all night drinking then...) the locals caught sight of the RAC van and burst into a rendition of "We're going home, we're going home, you're not!"

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 352
barralad
August 2, 2010, 7:20pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from pseudonym
Hobson was one of the best I have seen in a GTFC shirt. Could turn defences inside out. If my memory serves me correctly, he left us
the same day as Gordon Simmonite who was a coach. Wasn't he one of your lot also ?

Wasn't he Compo out of "Last of the Summer Wine" ??

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 352
barralad
August 2, 2010, 7:25pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I'll never forget Proudlock's penalty miss at Aldershot and the longer we stay in the BSP the more it will haunt.  Remain convinced that three points that day would have given the momentum and confidence earlier - instead it just extended the winless run.

Always seems to be the bad results that last in the memory.  I remember 1-5 at home to West Ham when we were challenging for promotion to old Div one. Like the Aldershot game it knocked us back at a crucial time in the run in.  

Will never forget Marc North's missed pen that took us down from old Div two.

One of the best memories... 4-1 opener against Exeter - only my second game and the start of the Kerr/Booth era.

Also winning 1-0 away at Fulham with a late Livvo goal... Was sitting in the away end but luckily it was the family section and we got away with cheering a little!!

We seemed to give in so easily that day. For a long time I wondered whether the club didn't think they were ready for the big time....nowadays that finish would've got us into the play-offs....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 352
theicenian
August 2, 2010, 7:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
One that always comes to mind when threads like this run,and oddly though it wasn't the last time, it is the last game I can remember there being no segregation between supporters. I can't remember the season segregation started.   Anyway that 2-2 draw against Sunderland (Portwood and Hill for us and Usher and the really good Sharkey for them). One more goal would have seen us safe as it was they went up to div1 and we went down to div 3. No riots,no scrapping just shoulder to shoulder with 16 thousand plus supporters some in red stripes and some in black stripes.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.