Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,300 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 4:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
The Porter is a bit gentrified - well it is right by Borough market - and obviously full of City folk on weekdays, but its still pubbish.

Never tried the Hole ITW. What was Coopers and is now the Wellesley (I think) on the concourse isn't a great pub in itself (being stuck in a basement with no windows) but its a good laugh on a Saturday with all the toing and froing of football fans. It serves a similar function as that crap bar at Brum New Street.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 352
ex-merseymariner
July 30, 2010, 4:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Here's a few more

Away at Wrexham; new years eve under slade, not just for the Downey goal, but all the injuries and controversy; we started with a back four of  Crofty RobJones Rambo and Newey, ended with Bolly Gary Jones Newey and Downey.

A home game vs huddersfield, sat in the main stand, their keeper steve francis made countless saves; the away fans sang Super Super Steve Francis. Talk about tempting fate. Livvo scored, most of the main stand celebrated with a Super Super Steve Livingstone chant

Travelling with my dad to an away game at Stoke, parents were living in the north-west by then, persuaded him to come see this new wonderkid John Oster. Oster off injured after about 15 mins....Rest of the game we were shocking.

Kevin Ball clattering countless town players at the stadium of silence and getting away with it.

Finally, going to Wigan's excrement old ground in our promotion season. Just before kickoff Mark Lever tried to clear an extra ball off the pitch and smashed it into a photographer. He was still apologising at kickoff and macca went to centre half briefly.

Of those that have been mentioned already; loved the Clive return from injury game v Ipswich, and the Oster goal in the 7-1 defeat, and the 6-1 on my birthday vs Barnsley.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 352
Vance Warner
July 30, 2010, 5:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Playing QPRin the league cup 92/93 ish. Woods was getting alot of stick at the time for not scoring. Remember him getting the ball on the edge of the area and despite everyone screaming for him to shoot he played a delicate chip in for Tommy Watson to score. Woods then scored the second with his head before missing a penalty in the shoot out. Remember the Pontoon afterwards singing'Andy Sinton is a male masturbation@r'

Going to Hartlepool (8-1) and Oldham (6-0) in the same god awful season.

Newcastle getting promotion at our place.

Bolton 3-3 first game of the season. Think it was just after the fences had been taken down from the Osmond and their fans were on the pitch before kick off - remember one dribbling a ball to the pontoon end and a town fan running on the pitch to go in goal. Remember their fans singing Super John McGinly and us replying with Super Clive Mendonca - think he got a hat trick and that's where the Super Clive chant started?

Fulham away in the 98 play off semi final - great ground, great game, great weather

A home game against Middlesborough around 93 where we battered them for 90 minutes but only drew 1-1

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 352
killingholmemariner
July 30, 2010, 5:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -8
Beating lincoln 3-0 in the snow, all 3 goals where brilliant

J99 Upper findus
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
July 30, 2010, 5:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Oo, that's just sparked off the memory of the Boxing Day game from 1992. 2-0 down to T'Tykes but fought back to win 4-2 with a Diddy Gilbert inspired performance. He was the only one who could keep his footing on the icey surface. Something to do with a low centre of gravity!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 352
Les Brechin
July 30, 2010, 5:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Oo, that's just sparked off the memory of the Boxing Day game from 1992. 2-0 down to T'Tykes but fought back to win 4-2 with a Diddy Gilbert inspired performance. He was the only one who could keep his footing on the icey surface. Something to do with a low centre of gravity!

Are you sure that's not the game when we were 2-0 up and they got it back to 2-2 before we won it 4-2 with 2 late goals. I remember Buckley saying at the time that we had to win the game twice. I think David Currie scored for them and Watson and Gilbert scored late on to win it for us.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 352
moosey_club
July 30, 2010, 10:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Been reminded of this one tonight as Connell did a similar thing first half,

Barnsley away, Bobby Cumming running down the wing, his opposing full back squares him up and Bobby bends over and feigns to just pick the ball up for no reason, the Barnsley player buys it and turns to the ref with his arm up as Bobby straightens up, completes the dummy and just runs straight past him.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 352
jock dock tower
July 30, 2010, 10:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Had been extolling the virtues of the Town to a Rangers season ticket holder mate of mine, and he agreed to come down to watch a game with me, the Luton 7-1 game. He was gobsmacked b y it, so much so he wanted to come again the following season. When the time came to arrange it I told him that the F.A.Cup tie at Hillsborough would be a good game....it was, in reverse!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 352
gary_elton
July 30, 2010, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
3 - 1 home to Leicester in league (?) cup.... my pal Mike Riley reffed it... got me and friends in for free... we had silver service in the lounge... ha !
1 - 0 down at half time.... second half... fook me.... superb !!! oh yesssss.........

4 - 1 home v. Huddersfield . My youngest daughter was mascot...... demolition job !!! best goal I ever saw at BP in this game.... never be surpassed....

2 - 1 home v. Scunny... think we were 1 - 0 down at half time... when the winner went in they heard the roar in Scartho..... some
folk thought there was an approaching thunder storm.....

and of course... 1 - 0 v. WBA.... Ivano... what a hero... BP exploded.......... unbelievable !!!

Town beating West Ham... sat in front row on ponny near the goal.........
I was there the night Doug Collins tormented the shxt outta them too in the sixties....

7 - 1 v. the scunts.... Keegan looking lost on the wing... Clemence proving what a prat he was....

13,500 of us at Anfield... OK... so we got beat by 5 goals.... THE FANS WERE MAGNIFICENT !!!!

beating spurs 1 - 0..... my oh ferkin my... what a finish to a game.....

watchin Justin sort Alan cry baby Shearer out... brilliant....

players who would die for the shirt..... Cumming.... Livvo.... Macca.... Rafferty.... Portwood... Drinkell... Waters....

sighhh...... I hope for our young fans sake we get their like again.....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 352
barralad
July 30, 2010, 11:09pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Les Brechin

Are you sure that's not the game when we were 2-0 up and they got it back to 2-2 before we won it 4-2 with 2 late goals. I remember Buckley saying at the time that we had to win the game twice. I think David Currie scored for them and Watson and Gilbert scored late on to win it for us.

It was indeed Mr Memory Man...Take my hat off to you Les

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.