Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 31 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,530 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
carrot top
August 3, 2010, 8:58am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Donny away at the end of 1971/72. We lost 2-1 (still went up). Crowd that day was over 12,000. My abiding memeory is seeing loads of Town Fans in white butchers jackets, doc martins and silk scarfs tied around their wrists

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 290 - 352
Paddymariner
August 3, 2010, 10:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from 137
Can't remember the year exactly, but our youth team at the time included the Moore brothers, Tony Ford, Terry Donovan, Nigel Batch, Drinks & Wilkie (I think), and had made the final in whatever cup the youths played for then against Sunderland - which was a 2-legged affair.
/* Yep, my memory's getting rather hazy */

Every football "expert" was then convinced that Sunderland's youth team were the best in the country bar none - so when we went there and won 4-1 it was a 'bad day at the office' for them, and they'd show us what they were really made of in the return at BP.

They showed up full of confidence, and Dave Moore was having a hard time (at centre-back) against one of their strikers. Dave was fouling the guy every time to stop him, and when he did this in the area (pen. not given, corner awarded) I saw Batchy go out and have a word with Dave as Sunderland prepared for the corner.

Ball came into the box and Batchy punched the ball away with one fist, and knocked out this troublesome striker with his other fist. A stoppage of several minutes resulted....

We went on to win 4-0 for a difficult-to-dispute-who-were-the-better-side winning aggregate of 8-1!

Really good crowd at BP that day, too.

The goal I always remember is Drinks making it 2-2 at Carlisle on the opening day of a season long ago (we/he won the match 3-2).

Great story that. Don't think Wilkie would have been in that team, he'd have been too young.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 291 - 352
forza ivano
August 3, 2010, 12:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
can't be bothered to read through 300 posts but her's a few which spring to mind

1) ivano bonetti turning mark bowen inside out and delivering the perfect cross for us to get aheaded late equaliser at norwich
2) ivano bonetti making his debut at charlton and the realsisation after 10 minutes that we'd got ourself a real diamond
3) ivano bonetti on the touch line at b'ham penned in by 3 of their players and still coming away with the ball
4) chelsea 3-2 away win ,after being 2 down at half time.going mad on the open terrace,soaked to the skin
5) lee ashcroft leaping into the terrace at orient trying to lamp a lad who'd been giving him a hard time
6) alan pouton free kick at brighton - beautiful day in the open stand in the sun and a great weekend down there
7) wba away on good friday. hung for 45 minutes of constant pressure to snatch a completely undeserved 1-0 win
8 ) livvo scoring the winner at fulham off his backside
9) that fulham play off match at craven cottage - great game and a great day out
10 - the ultimate memory - ivano bonetti getting THAT goal against wba ; i admit to having tears in my eyes, was the perfect story book ending
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 292 - 352
FishOutOfWater
August 3, 2010, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 97

Getting stuffed 4-0 at Ipswich in the FA Cup. Probably 92/93? A thoroughly miserable afternoon.

13th February 1993...missed that one. I was getting married at the time! But I get your drift about it being a thoroughly miserable afternoon though!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 293 - 352
blasty
August 3, 2010, 2:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Quoted from Les Brechin
Charlie Nicholas scoring 2 brilliant free-kicks at BP when Arsenal beat us 4-3 in the FA Cup in the mid 80's

Just about the only time I really enjoyed a game that Town lost.

Remember Batch just waving at the ball as it sailed in the net.............

Other game I really enjoyed that Town lost, Blackburn beating us 3-2 at home, toasted an 3-0 down at half time only to come out second half and absolutely batter them just couldnt get the equaliser. A fantastic game of football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 294 - 352
blasty
August 3, 2010, 2:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Quoted from carrot top
Both goals at Bradford City in our 2-0 win 90/91 I think. Tommy Watson and Diddy Gilbert. Pure football class.

Clive Hickman 1972 against Reading or was it Cambridge on an easter Monday game in an absolute mudbath. Injury time minute winner to make it 2-1 My Dad and many others had left to get the bus home thinking it was a draw. I believe the crowd was around 13,000 that day and we had already played a game at home just a couple of days before  in front of another 5 figure crowd.

Another was the Matt Tees goal against Exeter 1972. What a night

Bury away same season as Bradford game, lost 3-2 (I think) and David Lee was awesome for Bury that night. Was a cracking atmosphere still amongst the Town faithful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
August 3, 2010, 2:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Quoted from forza ivano
can't be bothered to read through 300 posts but her's a few which spring to mind

1) ivano bonetti turning mark bowen inside out and delivering the perfect cross for us to get aheaded late equaliser at norwich
2) ivano bonetti making his debut at charlton and the realsisation after 10 minutes that we'd got ourself a real diamond
3) ivano bonetti on the touch line at b'ham penned in by 3 of their players and still coming away with the ball
4) chelsea 3-2 away win ,after being 2 down at half time.going mad on the open terrace,soaked to the skin
5) lee ashcroft leaping into the terrace at orient trying to lamp a lad who'd been giving him a hard time
6) alan pouton free kick at brighton - beautiful day in the open stand in the sun and a great weekend down there
7) wba away on good friday. hung for 45 minutes of constant pressure to snatch a completely undeserved 1-0 win
8 ) livvo scoring the winner at fulham off his backside
9) that fulham play off match at craven cottage - great game and a great day out
10 - the ultimate memory - ivano bonetti getting THAT goal against wba ; i admit to having tears in my eyes, was the perfect story book ending

I think the only one of those I missed was the Chelsea game. Was at Uni and had no one to go with except 2 Chelsea supporting flatmates. When they got back to the pub in Herne Bay that night they were shell-shocked.

Remember that Brum game. Bonetti took a shot almost straight from the kick off. It was on target but didn't have enough power. Home fans making their zulu noise (or sounded like that).

The WBA away game - we were under pressure most of the game. Think they missed a penalty. Pre-match in a pub run by a Town fan I seem to remember.

That Livvo goal at Fulham (very hot day) meant we got our first win of the 97-98 season. The play off game there was another stinking hot day. Can remember sitting outside the 8 Bells at one of those games and some lass in tennis gear cycling by past a horde of drunk up Town - what was she thinking of!

Can't remember much of the Norwich game but it was a good atmosphere.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 296 - 352
Little Mariner
August 3, 2010, 2:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Coyne was lucky not to get sent off for handling outside the area
then he saved a pen
Then pouton scored a pen in the last few minutes.
Yes i remember a pub run by a town fan
not sure it was good friday though, it was 18/8 2001,  a few months before we had beaten them 1-0 on easter monday 16/4/2001 when Cornwall scored and conoco blew up!!!!!

You fill up my senses
Like a barrell of Tetley's
Like a  packet of woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Nunsthorpe
Like a greasy chip butty
Like the Super Black and Whites
Come fill me again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 297 - 352
theicenian
August 3, 2010, 2:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Blimey,Luke Cornwall,had completely forgotten him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 298 - 352
TWAreaTownSupporter
August 3, 2010, 2:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
I may be mixing the games up. We won both 1-0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 299 - 352
36 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.