Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,540 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DubaiMariner
July 28, 2010, 1:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Quoted from headingly_mariner

yeah i seem to remember him popping up all over the shop with the ball and breezing past people, he is a lovely player to watch when in the mood.

Yeah, he really had a point to prove in that loan spell. Think he thrived being the big fish in a small pond with us. That game, he was by far the best player on the pitch. That freekick was special.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 352
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 28, 2010, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
January 6th 1962 Town v Bournemouth in the old Div 3. Town had started the season quite well but had then gone down 7-0 at Northampton and 4-1 at Crystal Palace. before losing both games over Christmas. Amazingly Johnny Scott missed a penalty against Lincoln as well so the season looked doomed.

The attendance was at the time the lowest ever for a home game, around 5000, and injuries meant Town had been forced to play a reserve striker called Willie Purvis for his first game. It was freezing cold but it was in the days when you could walk right round the ground so I was behind the Osmond goal first half and the Pontoon second half. Purvis played a few more times that season - a pity he never really made the pro game but a great character.

I remember Town being rubbish for most of the first 45 minutes but it all suddenly came together with a header from Purvis that went in like a bomb. That was followed by one from Scott and one from my hero. From that point Town went on a run and lost only 2 more games that year and finished second.

The other memorable moment that season was on Good Friday against Bradford I think when we got a penalty and Scott took it - the first one since he missed. He set the ball off with the outside of his right foot to the goalkeeper's right but with so much swerve over 12 yards that it moved back and went almost to the other corner. From behind the goal at the Osmond this looked amazing to see the keeper stretched out one way and ball going the other. I spent the next 12 months trying to copy this with absolutely no success.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 352
Les Brechin
July 28, 2010, 1:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
I also remember in the Soames/Oster Derby game on Boxing Day every single person in the ground knew exactly what Oster was going to do with that free-kick apart from the Derby keeper.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 352
coddy60
July 28, 2010, 1:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Super Clive' hat trick penalty in season opening 3-3 home draw.
Think we had same result same opposition a year earlier...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 352
headingly_mariner

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Does anyone remember a sublime chip from livvo away at stoke, unbelievably he beat the offside trap and chipped it in from about 20 yards it was pure class.
we won 2-1 and Darren Mansaram got the other town goal i think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 352
coddy60

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Bolton both games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 352
JonnyK
July 28, 2010, 1:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +18
Quoted from voice of reason
Couple of randoms for me... The first we where playing Norwich at home and went 2-0 up they pulled 1 back and then got the equaliser in the 5th min of stoppage time out of the three tops that should have been allowed... I remember it because as the Norwich player was getting closer town was backing off and I was screaming at Handyside (I think) to close him down, well whoever it was didn't close him down and the Norwich player got to about 20 yards out and curld it into the top corner... I was fuming, I had just got to BP in time for kick off after getting my foot plastered, I had broken it in a drunken stuper the night before... Come to think of it, it might have made it 3-2 to them, either way I remember the goal if nothing else..

Think it was a young Akinbiyi, shot in from the main stand side of the osmond.  I think there were a few games around that time when we blew 2-goal leads and conceded very late goals.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 352
pseudonym
July 28, 2010, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Kevin Moore scoring a last minute rocket shot at the Baseball Ground to earn a 1-1 draw when a lot of Town fans had left the ground.

Paul Emson against Brighton at Blundell Park ripping their defence apart. Think we won 5-0 and Joe Corrigan was their keeper.

Beating Manchester City 4-1 and a certain Town fan getting ejected from the ground for throwing bananas at Alex Williams their coloured goalkeeper.

1998 pre-season tour of the Isle of Man when I was walking in Ramsey and Daryl Clare said hello there, are you off to the match tonight !! We lost 1-0 to Stockport that night by the way.

I was celebrating at Anfield when we scored the winner. A female steward came across and shouted "Sit down". I retorted "Is it time of the month for you or are you just mardy because you are losing". She actually laughed and said "Both"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 352
pseudonym
July 28, 2010, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Also Gordon Hobson ripping Millwalls defence apart. Think he got a hat trick and we won 5-1

Beating the Scunts 7-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 352
theicenian
July 28, 2010, 1:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
January 6th 1962 Town v Bournemouth in the old Div 3. Town had started the season quite well but had then gone down 7-0 at Northampton and 4-1 at Crystal Palace. before losing both games over Christmas. Amazingly Johnny Scott missed a penalty against Lincoln as well so the season looked doomed.

The attendance was at the time the lowest ever for a home game, around 5000, and injuries meant Town had been forced to play a reserve striker called Willie Purvis for his first game. It was freezing cold but it was in the days when you could walk right round the ground so I was behind the Osmond goal first half and the Pontoon second half. Purvis played a few more times that season - a pity he never really made the pro game but a great character.

I remember Town being rubbish for most of the first 45 minutes but it all suddenly came together with a header from Purvis that went in like a bomb. That was followed by one from Scott and one from my hero. From that point Town went on a run and lost only 2 more games that year and finished second.

The other memorable moment that season was on Good Friday against Bradford I think when we got a penalty and Scott took it - the first one since he missed. He set the ball off with the outside of his right foot to the goalkeeper's right but with so much swerve over 12 yards that it moved back and went almost to the other corner. From behind the goal at the Osmond this looked amazing to see the keeper stretched out one way and ball going the other. I spent the next 12 months trying to copy this with absolutely no success.

Ah,you see Johnny had a corkscrew in his boot.       Well it seemed like that,I cannot remember a player having so much control of an old leather ball.  God knows what he would have done with these modern beach balls they play with these days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 352
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.