Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,043 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
darren9
July 27, 2010, 4:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 39
Beating Burnley when they had Gazza playing - he came and took a corner in front of the Ponny who were all chanting "Gazza whats the score" he looked at us held up his hands showing the score and applauded us before taking the kick.

Pouton going down about 3 minutes after being challenged against Barnsley which got their keeper sent off. I think that was the game their keeper had to wear our keeper shirt because of clashes with the shirts.

Livvo getting knocked out - I have never heard a grown so silent for so long - a horrible period.

Livvo scoring when he eventually came back, I don't remember who we were playing or how he scored but I remember him being dragged into the Ponny afterwards.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 352
tanga_the_indestructible
July 27, 2010, 4:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from BIGChris
Some of those mentioned above relate to huge triumphs but in keeping with the random thread i'd go for

Town beating Peterborough 3-2 near the end of the 71-72 season. It was the featured game on Anglia TV. I think we were 2-0 down. Neil freeman in goal (?) and if my memory serves me right Dave Worthington scored that dayfrom the edge of the box at the Pontoon end?

Oldfootbaler may be able to confirm?

I remember that game really well because I invaded the pitch at the end (I was about 11) and saw myself on telly the next day when it was on. Blundell Park was a mudbath, it was near the end of that great season. I remember going to the friendly against Japan before the start of the season and we won 7-2. I think we scored four goals in the first three games too and it carried on all season like that: Mike Hickman, Matt Tees, Dave Boylen, Dave Worthington. Brilliant. The season before that was absolutely terrible too with Bobby Kennedy in charge. Let's hope the new season has a similar turnaround.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 352
coddy60
July 27, 2010, 4:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Hoddle was my favourite player I'd never seen play a live game, until he brought Swindon here on Valentines night 17/18years ago when he was player manager (I sulked until the missus took me to the game!).
I think it was midway through the second half Tony Rees, with Hoddle marking him and his back to goal, turned on a sixpence and lashed one into the bottom corner from about 30yards to put the mariners 2-1up and win the game.
Sad to see my hero embarrassed like that at the end of his career, but by far the best goal I ever saw Rees  score..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 352
benbowers
July 27, 2010, 4:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
I have only supported town since their decline (last season in the championship) so I barely have any good memories  

i base my style on alan connell
town to go up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 352
moosey_club
July 27, 2010, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Les Brechin

That's what I'm really after Chris. Not any memories of games that clinched us promotion or got us to Wembley just one particular game that wasn't really that huge.

Another memory of mine is when we won 2-1 at Plymouth when Super Clive scored his first ever goal for us and 100 or so Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain around the away end.

Was there that day i believe, and i also think the history books would reveal he tucked it in past Rhys Wilmot who we signed a couple of years later!!!!!!!!!!!!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 352
coddy60
July 27, 2010, 4:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
John Oster' wonder goal at Wednesday when we were 7 down (I think), which was definitely goal of the game, everybody celebrated it like it won the game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 352
moosey_club
July 27, 2010, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
[quote=618]With the new season almost upon us lets just wallow in a bit of nostalgia.

Everyone who was there at the time will always remember Wilkie's goal at Everton, Burnett's at Wembley, Jevvo's at Liverpool etc, but what your ONE clearest random memory at a Town game.

Mine is Shaun Cunnington climbing up on the fence in front of the 1000 Town fans after he had scored the winner at Reading in the 4th Round FA Cup replay at Elm Park in 88/89.[/quote]

and the subsequent ripping down/ collapse of the fence by the packed away terrace that night. Same evening we got stopped four times on the way home by three different constabularies for driving too slow. The car i was a passenger in had just had a recon engine put in and the driver was running it in, doing 50mph after midnight on straight deserted country roads looked too suspicious!!!

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 352
Les Brechin
July 27, 2010, 4:37pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
That Reading game was the most tired I have ever been I think. I had worked until 3pm, picked up 3 mates and driven all the way there. It was an 8pm kick-off I think and IIRC the ko was put back a further 15minutes because of crowd congestion. I think they were expecting us to bring a couple of hundred fans but we had well over 1000 there that evening.

Tired myself out even further celebrating during the game, got caught up in a load of traffic trying to get out of Reading and I remember driving up the A1 about 1am in the morning with the other 3 lads snoring their heads off and I was nearly dropping off. Had to open the window to get some fresh air in only to be bollocked by my mates for waking them up.

Happy days.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 352
moosey_club
July 27, 2010, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Birtles hat trick aganst Wrexham, Drinkell hat trick against Sheff Utd, both on last days of season in brilliant sunshine for glory moments.

Livvo scrapping with Shaun Teale in one of his early appearances at Blundell Park,getting sent off and making himself an instant cult hero in the process

The Ivano effect, all the fundraising events to get the money to secure his services, publicity and interest he raised in GTFC has to be unrivalled, i know a similar thing happened earlier with Joe Waters ( i think) but the wave of interest Ivano brought i dont see ever happening again.

Watching Lineker, James, Hullitt, amongst others in the flesh and appreciating what real talent is and can do despite them doing it against your team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 352
siy2k5
July 27, 2010, 4:40pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
I've got loads of memories. I remember filtering out the pontoon after a 0-0 draw against Carlisle (?) and seeing that FA Cup semi at hillsborough had been abandoned due to "overcrowding" on the scoreboard, completely oblivious to the events that were to unfold.  

Super Clive scoring a right foot curler into the top corner in the last minute as I was stood right behind him in the open corner waiting to get out, can't rem who it was against though.

John cockerill scoring a 30 yard screamer against York I think in the cup

The opening day of the div 3 (L1) promotion season at Preston when we played them off their plastic pitch and won 3-1, with Neil woods making his debut.

Wimbledon away in the cup when we invaded plough lane with Harry haddocks!

My first ever town game at home to aldershot, we drew 1-1 and the late Marc north missed a pen that would have kept us up.

Must be more but they're the ones that stick in my mind.

Utm.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 352
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.