Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 216,980 views. Print
138 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
December 5, 2023, 10:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Artell signed center-back who has also played at right-back Omar Beckles (link) when Crewe finished 12th in League One. He then went to Leyton Orient and played every game in their promotion season from League Two.  Maybe Beckles will be on Artells radar, as he's not really played any games since September for Orient, only one game in the FL Trophy in November.

He's a good player, remember him playing against us for Accrington in their promotion season from L2. He was part of that Shrewsbury side that made the L1 playoff final under Hurst as well. He's like Toto from memory, more athletic and better on the ball than your average L2 CB.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 1373
lew chaterleys lover
December 5, 2023, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
I wonder where that leaves the work done by Joe Hutchinson over the months since the last window shut?

He would have been looking for players in that time, but DA may have different ideas on who and what he wants.

This is the conundrum isn't it? When one part of the chain breaks you may have to back track a bit.

I think this is why the owners wanted a manager with a definitive style, so that future managers and recruitment people will be singing from the same hymn sheet. At least as far as is practicable.

Far too often in the past the pendulum has swung too far in each direction and hopefully we will be on a more settled path in future.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 1373
Theimperialcoroner
December 5, 2023, 10:59am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,275
Gold Stars: 102
Toto has left Fleetwood. Have him back in a heartbeat.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 1373
ska face
December 5, 2023, 11:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,776
Gold Stars: 851
Less than zero chance of that happening. Bloke couldn’t leave quick enough after 15/16.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 1373
Poojah
December 5, 2023, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,748
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Mariner_09

He's a good player, remember him playing against us for Accrington in their promotion season from L2. He was part of that Shrewsbury side that made the L1 playoff final under Hurst as well. He's like Toto from memory, more athletic and better on the ball than your average L2 CB.

I'm not necessarily suggesting either of Toto or Beckles, but for me the two standout gaps in our current squad is an athletic centre-half, and an athletic (ergo strong and tall) centre forward. I think that much was obvious before the start of the season, even if our subsequent decline in form surprised most of us.

That's not to say either type of player should be starting every week, but in this most horses for courses league of contrasting playing styles, combined height, strength and athleticism are characteristics we sorely lack in those key positions. If we can nail that, anything else would be a bonus in my opinion.

It will certainly be fascinating to see how this window plays out. I think it's fair to say that Hurst frustrated more than he excited in the past two January windows, so it will be interesting to get a better idea as to whether this was truly a case of challenging market conditions or obstinance on Hurst's part.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 1373
jamesgtfc
December 5, 2023, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Near impossible to predict what Artell will want and indeed try to bring in.  He's had such little time with this squad to assess and work with.  In the space of just over a week our style of play has completely changed.  Someone like Hunt has come in and thrown a massive marker down for him to stay in the team.  Mullarkey showing something like his very early season form.  

It's about confidence rather than ability for a lot of this squad.  If Artell can improve those confidence levels the need to bring new faces in completely lessens, certainly in terms of numbers anyway.  Difficult to definitively say so after just two games, but this squad seems far more suited to Artell's approach than Hurst's.  The previous views of certain players needing to be moved on will completely adjust based on the new style of play.

Equally so a one-in-one-out policy does tie hands a little too.  But I think going forward we're going to see very little change.  The three strikers are all doing fairly well, Khan and Gnahoua look to suit this approach and there's Ainley who he's worked with before and would be a surprise if he's not involved heavily once fully fit.  Then there's Vernam, who can't be far off a return and on paper at least may be someone who really flourishes with open and expansive football.  

I can't imagine Artell is someone who will want a set anchor in midfield.  We've already seen Conteh and definitely Hunt playing with a bit more freedom going forward.  Perhaps it'll be a case of using Green in that role when needed rather than having someone defaulting there.

It's at the back where I think we're going to see any movement.  Amos, unless he's injured, is completely out the picture and I can't see him displacing Glennon again.  If Glennon is unavailable, Clifton and Khouri can cover there.  I think someone like Amos going out might open up the possibility of bringing another centre-back in.  I'm keen to see Rodgers and Maher get back to their early season form, but I think we need something a bit more extra in there.  Someone a bit more physical but mobile with it too, which Waterfall isn't.  Omar Beckles is actually a great shout from Nelly.

Regards Cartwright, unless I'm missing something he's looking absolutely fine.  His early cup form was worrying but since coming into the side he's being a huge upgrade.  I do get that there's a couple of goals where he might have done better at but that's the nature of a young goalkeeper learning his trade.  When Dean Henderson was here he managed to let in at least two soft goals in only seven goals.  

Like most managers I'm sure Artell will already have a list of core players that he's worked with before and values what they bring beyond just their footballing ability.  The Shaun Pearson types of the world if you like.  

The more I think about it, the more I think this "one in, one out" comment is a bit of a bluff to manage our expectations, and to stop agents/clubs holding us to ransom.

I think we will definitely sign a couple of players Artell has had a tune out of before, in the same way Hurst brought Coke, LJL and Pearson in as soon as he could.

Beckles is a great shout as he is a player Artell has had before and plays in a position we definitely need some more depth in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 1373
jamesgtfc
December 5, 2023, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings
I wonder where that leaves the work done by Joe Hutchinson over the months since the last window shut?

He would have been looking for players in that time, but DA may have different ideas on who and what he wants.

I suppose that depends on what brief the HoR was working towards, i.e. the pragmatic style favoured by Hurst or the style Stockwood has spoken about.

We will probably never get the answer but I would be interested to know which summer signings were identified by the HoR. Hopefully it was Rodgers and Conteh.  Danny Rose doesn't need a HoR to identify him at this level, every manager in L2 should want him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 1373
Poojah
December 5, 2023, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,748
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The more I think about it, the more I think this "one in, one out" comment is a bit of a bluff to manage our expectations, and to stop agents/clubs holding us to ransom.

I think we will definitely sign a couple of players Artell has had a tune out of before, in the same way Hurst brought Coke, LJL and Pearson in as soon as he could.

Beckles is a great shout as he is a player Artell has had before and plays in a position we definitely need some more depth in.

I’m 99.99% confident this is the case. Not to play into the hands of those “where’s all the cup money gone” bores, but were we genuinely in a position of one out, one in, it would reek of some pretty abject recruitment on Hurst’s part and some very poor and naive financial management on behalf of both he and the owners. I don’t believe this will ultimately prove to be the case; Hurst notoriously spent the club’s money as if it were his own and I don’t see a scenario where the owners would have sanctioned a full budget utilisation by the end of the summer.

Add to that the last window ended with a whimper. We tried, but failed, to bring in players towards its close. That budget, at the very minimum, should be there, and more in all likelihood. Yes, gates have been marginally lower than we might have forecast, but most of that money was already in the bank in the form of season ticket sales.

Given the way Artell has spoken about his reasons for taking the job and his reasons for turning down others, I very much doubt he’d have taken us on if his hands were tied behind his back in the January window.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 1373
Gaffer58
December 5, 2023, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Just waiting for the first person to say on transfers, “ in Artell we trust” !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 1373
GrimPol
December 5, 2023, 3:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from fishboyUTM

In which case, I'm sorry but I would question his mental strength. A three year deal as well I believe. Will end up paying him off and it will be expensive. Hope he proves me wrong.

Well yes but DA might want to approach it by fixing the situation, and not discarding him totally.
A GK is in an invidious position in that all goals are blamed on him. However the whole team is attack and defence and not just the GK so allowing the opposition just to run through and take potshots can eventually wear down a GK's resilience. Yes that can be a "mental strength" issue, but to be fair the whole team suffered a "breakdown" of sorts on occasions from what I saw. Since PH left there has been a marked improvement, and yet another since DA came.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 1373
138 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.