Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 216,904 views. Print
138 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
December 22, 2023, 9:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
I agree on Arthur who i really like.

Someone genuinely.... said on twitter the other day, that they'd rather have Maguire Drew than Arthur, clueless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 1373
Son of Cod
December 22, 2023, 10:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Lord Gadiform

Don’t get this at all. Khan has been available for less games then Eisa and when he’s played he’s done less. Never thought of Grimsby as being a hotbed for romantics who think being some kind of undefinable technically good footballer who does nice things is more important than someone who turns up and creates or scores goals. Sure I like pretty football but I value the players making a difference over some form of pretty potential that doesn’t turn into anything tangible. Would far prefer a win than a where we’ve looked good and dropped points against crap teams. See Crawley, Colchester, Sutton, Newport, Forest Green etc etc.win those and we’re in the play offs.

I don't think wanting to see players in your team who are comfortable on the ball when you've just brought a manager in who wants to play the ball on the deck is necessarily an indicator of romanticism. I'd argue that Khan does bring a tangible difference in that he offers an outlet for other players way more than Eisa and brings the best out of those within his immediate vicinity on the pitch in Glennon, Hunt, Conteh and Rose. As I've said, I don't think Khan is perfect by any stretch. Far from it, lots to improve for sure. And you're right goals are massive, but outside of the rocket Eisa brings to the table very three or four matches, I personally don't think he brings enough. Admittedly, he was excellent against Crewe and I'd be delighted if that's the standard we'll be seeing going forward. Perhaps we've just got completely different outlooks on football though, as I can't agree at all with what you've said about not valuing potential. Also those five matches you've mentioned, pretty sure Eisa started three or four of those. Scored against Crawley too actually, so his goals don't always bring about a tangible difference.

Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

You think Khan is a better footballer and wide player than Eisa/Gnahoua/Vernam ? This is Otis Khan that hasn’t contributed an assist for us since October of last year. His last actual contribution was NYD against Stockport.. that’s 11 months ago. Khan very much flatters to deceive and has done in his time here. Eisa is very much a better option out wide purely down to the threat he posses from range and his ability to score goals. Arthur is the best footballer out the lot, you can see by the way he keeps the ball so close to him and the way he glides with it he’s got that touch of class. Massively underrated. Charles I think is the best winger at the club and I think will flourish under DA.

No, I didn't say that at all. I said I thought he was probably the most technically proficient of all our wide attacking players. I used the word probably because I think it's tight between him and Gnahoua. That doesn't mean I think those two are the best wingers though. If we see the Vernam of old, he offers us something exciting in that he's more of your traditional get to the byline type winger but I think there are question marks over him, but hopefully his stuttering pre-injury start was down to the system Hurst was trying to implement.

Interesting though that your argument against Khan is lack of contribution, yet you rate Gnahoua highly who has one assist and no goals to his name in seventeen league appearances this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 1373
ginnywings
December 22, 2023, 10:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from monkeyboy
Here we go willing players out again.

Khans a good player.

Eisa for me has been wholly underwhelming goals apart but still decent. nothing needs to change on the left side , doubt there will be any changes there. right wing needs a top up tho.  
Arthur been very good for us.

"Goals apart'"? That's the whole point of the game and Eisa makes things happen; whereas Khan doesn't much. It was the same with Sousa: looked easy on the eye but didn't produce.

Listening to DA in his pre match, he definitely sounds like Kirk is on his radar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 1373
The Dogs Testicles
December 22, 2023, 10:54am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from ginnywings

"Goals apart'"? That's the whole point of the game and Eisa makes things happen; whereas Khan doesn't much. It was the same with Sousa: looked easy on the eye but didn't produce.

Listening to DA in his pre match, he definitely sounds like Kirk is on his radar.

Agreed. Eisa has brought some great goals and those that have secured points. I always feel that Otis usually makes the choice of a shot on occasions where an assist would likely deliver a certain goal. Very similar to Erico in that manner.

As for Charlie Kirk, DA sounded as though there may be more to it than just someone linking his release and their Crewe connection. He also said in the Full interview that they have ‘a few’ firm plans in place.

I do think we’ll see the exit for Amos, Waterfall, Eastwood, Khan and maybe Efete.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 1373
Hagrid
December 22, 2023, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from The Dogs Testicles

Agreed. Eisa has brought some great goals and those that have secured points. I always feel that Otis usually makes the choice of a shot on occasions where an assist would likely deliver a certain goal. Very similar to Erico in that manner.

As for Charlie Kirk, DA sounded as though there may be more to it than just someone linking his release and their Crewe connection. He also said in the Full interview that they have ‘a few’ firm plans in place.

I do think we’ll see the exit for Amos, Waterfall, Eastwood, Khan and maybe Efete.

Personally would keep efete, i think he's done well when he's played, and was playing until his injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 1373
The Dogs Testicles
December 22, 2023, 11:02am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Personally would keep efete, i think he's done well when he's played, and was playing until his injury

I think he’s strongest when he is in the attacking phase, often very weak and often poor positioning with his defending - I think it’s an area we could definitely improve on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 1373
davmariner
December 22, 2023, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Why would we get rid of Efete? He’s our best right back.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 1373
The Dogs Testicles
December 22, 2023, 11:56am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
Why would we get rid of Efete? He’s our best right back.

Really??!! Always seems to be poor positioning, nervous when he has the ball in the RB position too. I think Toby is far better than him. Far better!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 1373
HertsGTFC
December 22, 2023, 12:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

I suspect Kirk is on the radar, though I don't know much about him from what I understand and people's views he'll have options and probably wouldn't have canned his last club if those options are "probable" where joining Town may be a "possible" finance permitting of course.

Clearly they'll be some honest conversations with some players as we approach January but I'm still not expecting wholesale change but would like to see us strengthen at CB and at least one more striking option. I really like Khan BTW but his injury record is something that gets in the way of me saying he's a must keep.

I thought DAs comment about not waiting to start a conversation with out of contract player until April was interesting and encouraging.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 1373
Poojah
December 22, 2023, 12:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,742
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from ginnywings

I might be reading a little too much between the lines, but I have a feeling there might already have been a deal done on that front. Players tend to agree to mutual contract terminations once they’ve got something lined-up.

Arguably the position on the pitch we’re least in need of reinforcement, but he looks like he would be a very good signing on paper. 35 appearances in League One last season, and was playing in the Champonship the season before. Only 25. Probably too good an opportunity to turn down, if he’s indeed available to us.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 1373
138 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.