Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 215,967 views. Print
138 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
acko338
November 29, 2023, 11:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
5 weeks for him to settle in, have a good look at those here, and what he can get out of them, then identify from his own book of sources who may come in to complement and improve the side going forward.

Many of his Academy players will now be established in senior squads if they made the grade, likewise he will have watched many matches with similar aged players taking part.

He sounds like he would keep tabs on players who can play HIS way.

I think that he and Hutchinson will be having some deep conversations in advance of the opening window date.
Logged Online
Private Message
Sinkfortheladies
November 29, 2023, 12:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +63
Gold Stars: 1
I would be amazed if Ben Garrett wasn't one of his first signings.

Was his 'keeper at Crewe, won the player of the year, a couple of times, can play Artell-ball from the back and most importantly is currently a free agent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 1373
Son of Cod
November 29, 2023, 12:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
First signing will be a 20 year old central midfield loanee from Stoke on page 747 of this thread (30th Jan).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 1373
IlkleyMariner
November 29, 2023, 2:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Son of Cod
First signing will be a 20 year old central midfield loanee from Stoke on page 747 of this thread (30th Jan).

I would expect to see someone added way before that date
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 1373
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 29, 2023, 4:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,822
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Sinkfortheladies
I would be amazed if Ben Garrett wasn't one of his first signings.

Was his 'keeper at Crewe, won the player of the year, a couple of times, can play Artell-ball from the back and most importantly is currently a free agent.

Can free agents move at any stage?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 1373
HertsGTFC
November 29, 2023, 5:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,916
Gold Stars: 228
Is this the thread where we big players up for the January window or will another one be started I wonder? 🤔

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 1373
Sinkfortheladies
November 29, 2023, 5:29pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Can free agents move at any stage?

Certainly, but with AP stating 1 out, 1 in and the fact we have 2 full time keepers on the books.

Could it be a possibility that Artell runs the rule over Cartwright and Eastwood through december.

Then deciding whether to send Cartwright back or flog Eastwood, before bringing another keeper in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 1373
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 29, 2023, 5:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,274
Gold Stars: 306
Hmm.. am I negative to suggest that signing a keeper that was released by Burton at the end of last season and hasn't got a club by late November may not be the most inspirational move?

I always feel that there's a good reason why a player doesn't have a club in November (unless they were injured, and Garratt wasn't) and that reason is that they're not very good.

He also left Crewe after Artell offered him a new contract (he chose not to take it) - he may not be top of the boss's Christmas card list.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 1373
Son of Cod
November 29, 2023, 7:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Charlie McNeill, young Man Utd striker, who we were linked with back in the summer but went to Stevenage is getting recalled due to lack of game time. As we need to kick things off I will say that I have it on good authority from an incredibly reliable source who is ITK and has ties with the club that we are in for him and a deal is looking likely. Unfortunately I cannot reveal my source though, but if you want to PM me please do and I will ignore it. Thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 1373
Sinkfortheladies
November 29, 2023, 7:07pm
Coke Drinker
Hmm.. am I negative to suggest that signing a keeper that was released by Burton at the end of last season and hasn't got a club by late November may not be the most inspirational move?

I always feel that there's a good reason why a player doesn't have a club in November (unless they were injured, and Garratt wasn't) and that reason is that they're not very good.

He also left Crewe after Artell offered him a new contract (he chose not to take it) - he may not be top of the boss's Christmas card list.

Whilst I do somewhat agree there's a red flag regarding still having no club, I would argue that could be because a multitude of reasons.
With goalkeepers especially , they're not normally a position that moves between windows as clubs already have that position tied down quite early.

By all accounts he's very highly regarded at Crewe for his few years there and then left to move up a level at Burton, very similar to the Crocombe situation this summer, he turned down a contract he felt wasn't right and moved on, ironically replacing Garrat.

I'm by no means stating it'll change our season, but it seems a deal that just seems to fit. How many times do new managers bring in players they've worked with before?

For the record, I do rate Cartwright and feel like he'll get better with every game played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 1373
138 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.