Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 216,900 views. Print
138 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Bristol Mariner
December 22, 2023, 12:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from davmariner
Why would we get rid of Efete? He’s our best right back.

After Toby

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 1373
rancido
December 22, 2023, 12:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from The Dogs Testicles

Really??!! Always seems to be poor positioning, nervous when he has the ball in the RB position too. I think Toby is far better than him. Far better!

Totally agree. Efete seems to lose concentration and is often caught a yard or two out of position when defending. He is at his best going forward but seems to lack the confidence to take on a defender. I prefer Toby at RB as I think he is a much better defender.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 1373
Hagrid
December 22, 2023, 12:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
not sure we can say either is a better defender really when we havent kept a clean sheet for months
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 1373
diehardmariner
December 22, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,693
Gold Stars: 540
Eisa has a far better end product than Khan but I do get where the argument goes about Khan as the better option.

The frustration with Eisa is that unless he scores, he generally offers nothing at all.  I know, football is all about goals etc. etc.  Khan is probably one of those players who managers and team-mates love because they see the space he creates for others, the covering he does, the way he makes himself available for easy passes...things we don't tend to see in the stands.

If you're an attack minded full-back with licence to go forward, it's Khan you want in front of you.  Eisa isn't helping you out anytime soon whereas Khan will drop back to cover you or cut inside selfishly to create an opening for you. I think Khan's a very, very good footballer who is the end product away from an excellent footballer, alas he hasn't produced that for a year now which is why he's spent his career slumming it at this level.

He's one who I think will be on his way.  We're overloaded out wide.  Eisa, Gnahoua, Vernam, Ainley and then Wilson and Pyke who I don't really see Artell using centrally much unless really needed.  That's six before you even consider this muted move for Charlie Kirk.

If Wilson and Pyke are considered wide players, that only really leaves Rose as a striker so I expect we'll see a genuine back-up to him probably at the expense of someone in central midfield.  Can't see Andrews staying here, as others have said I think he's ok (started off better) but unless he's here for the long run I would rather develop one of our own than for someone else.  Beggars can't always be choosers but unless it's a loan player who is going to significantly be an improvement on what we've got, I'm not that bothered about bringing them in ahead of our own young players.

Even with Andrews going back there's scope to move someone else on.  Conteh, Hunt, Clifton, Khouri, Green and Holohan.  Do we really need 6 to cover 3 slots?

If Efete or Amos go it'll be like-for-like as we'll lack cover.  Same with Waterfall, but I can't see him going next month if only for a lack of experience in his absence.  If he goes it leaves a big gap in the squad experience at this level.  Rose has plenty of games under his belt but after him I think it's only Clifton, Rodgers and Gnahoua with more than 100 league appearances.  
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 1373
jamesgtfc
December 22, 2023, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

I might be reading a little too much between the lines, but I have a feeling there might already have been a deal done on that front. Players tend to agree to mutual contract terminations once they’ve got something lined-up.

Arguably the position on the pitch we’re least in need of reinforcement, but he looks like he would be a very good signing on paper. 35 appearances in League One last season, and was playing in the Champonship the season before. Only 25. Probably too good an opportunity to turn down, if he’s indeed available to us.

I think Artell will want a couple of players he knows well in January, and Kirk fits that bill. He was under contract at Charlton until next summer on decent money, so if he has negotiated a decent proportion of that outstanding contract as his pay-off, he could quite feasibly think about coming here for less money to get his career back on track under a manager that sold him for a reported £500k.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 1373
Mappers
December 22, 2023, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,449
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from diehardmariner
Eisa has a far better end product than Khan but I do get where the argument goes about Khan as the better option.

The frustration with Eisa is that unless he scores, he generally offers nothing at all.  I know, football is all about goals etc. etc.  Khan is probably one of those players who managers and team-mates love because they see the space he creates for others, the covering he does, the way he makes himself available for easy passes...things we don't tend to see in the stands.

If you're an attack minded full-back with licence to go forward, it's Khan you want in front of you.  Eisa isn't helping you out anytime soon whereas Khan will drop back to cover you or cut inside selfishly to create an opening for you. I think Khan's a very, very good footballer who is the end product away from an excellent footballer, alas he hasn't produced that for a year now which is why he's spent his career slumming it at this level.

He's one who I think will be on his way.  We're overloaded out wide.  Eisa, Gnahoua, Vernam, Ainley and then Wilson and Pyke who I don't really see Artell using centrally much unless really needed.  That's six before you even consider this muted move for Charlie Kirk.

If Wilson and Pyke are considered wide players, that only really leaves Rose as a striker so I expect we'll see a genuine back-up to him probably at the expense of someone in central midfield.  Can't see Andrews staying here, as others have said I think he's ok (started off better) but unless he's here for the long run I would rather develop one of our own than for someone else.  Beggars can't always be choosers but unless it's a loan player who is going to significantly be an improvement on what we've got, I'm not that bothered about bringing them in ahead of our own young players.

Even with Andrews going back there's scope to move someone else on.  Conteh, Hunt, Clifton, Khouri, Green and Holohan.  Do we really need 6 to cover 3 slots?

If Efete or Amos go it'll be like-for-like as we'll lack cover.  Same with Waterfall, but I can't see him going next month if only for a lack of experience in his absence.  If he goes it leaves a big gap in the squad experience at this level.  Rose has plenty of games under his belt but after him I think it's only Clifton, Rodgers and Gnahoua with more than 100 league appearances.  

It will surely be one of Holahan or Green who go from midfield if we make any changes - Clifton will get a new contract , and the younger 3 have relatively big resale value and fit the model we are following so to make room in there I can't see any other option .

I see Andrews going back and then either Gav or Green leaving in January - I get the sense from yesterdays interview Artell is honest ,knows what he wants and ruthless with what he wants .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 1373
December 22, 2023, 4:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

"Goals apart'"? That's the whole point of the game and Eisa makes things happen; whereas Khan doesn't much. It was the same with Sousa: looked easy on the eye but didn't produce.

Listening to DA in his pre match, he definitely sounds like Kirk is on his radar.

Do you, or anyone else have a link to that interview please?
Reply: 166 - 1373
Maringer
December 22, 2023, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Here's a link to the full interview:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h0zz0m

Over 20 minutes long so quite detailed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 1373
December 22, 2023, 7:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Here's a link to the full interview:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h0zz0m

Over 20 minutes long so quite detailed.

Thanks very much.

Reply: 168 - 1373
Freemoash88
December 24, 2023, 6:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Morning fellow Fishy's,

I do apologise I don't post as much as I used to anymore but always around to read the fantastic discussions and debates which we've always had on here.

So with the transfer window fast approaching and after yesterday dire performance at Home. Which I personally think has now shown Artell the problems we have within the squad.

So my question is basic what players or positions what you like to be addressed and what players do you think maybe Town should offload this window if possible?

Merry Xmas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 1373
138 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.