Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 216,018 views. Print
138 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
JayF82
November 30, 2023, 11:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: +13
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Yeah, another very good talent. From what i've been told, is our youth recruitment is much improved and we're casting our net further afield to bring players in.

We got Harvey Cribb and Finley Abraham who are 2nd years and Brayson Giles who is a 1st year. Brayson is generally on the bench and is a bit raw at the moment but potentially could be really good next season as struggled this season when up against big strong defenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 1373
Mariner64
December 2, 2023, 9:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +1
Quoted from Poojah

Am I right in thinking Grayson Giles is the other young lad we've taken on from Scunny, who has been ridiculously prolific at youth level? I think he's a bit younger than those above, but sounded like a very good prospect going off what (relatively little) I've heard about him.

Yes Grayson Giles is 16 I’ve seen he’s scored 5 in his last 5 games and think he’s only started two of them so looks a good prospect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 1373
fishboyUTM
December 4, 2023, 9:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from GrimPol

True. Cartwright is doing fine, and Eastwood might have had his nerves shattered by the poor defence we put up.  DA needs time to form an opinion.

In which case, I'm sorry but I would question his mental strength. A three year deal as well I believe. Will end up paying him off and it will be expensive. Hope he proves me wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 1373
toontown
December 4, 2023, 10:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from fishboyUTM

In which case, I'm sorry but I would question his mental strength. A three year deal as well I believe. Will end up paying him off and it will be expensive. Hope he proves me wrong.

If you mean Eastwood it's a 2 year deal I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 1373
Nelly GTFC
December 4, 2023, 10:57pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Artell signed center-back who has also played at right-back Omar Beckles (link) when Crewe finished 12th in League One. He then went to Leyton Orient and played every game in their promotion season from League Two.  Maybe Beckles will be on Artells radar, as he's not really played any games since September for Orient, only one game in the FL Trophy in November.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 1373
lukeo
December 5, 2023, 6:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Not sure where or what we need to bring in as I feel this squad is good enough to move up the table but I'm sure DA will know exactly what he wants by January. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 1373
HertsGTFC
December 5, 2023, 8:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Some odd views on this thread re individual players, every player drifts in and out of form & younger players do it more often.

Personally I’m not convinced we’ll see loads of change in January maybe a CB as we’re at least one short and a striker again we’re one short.

I’d like to see a proper holding MF player but suspect we’ll have to wait until the summer for that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 1373
diehardmariner
December 5, 2023, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Near impossible to predict what Artell will want and indeed try to bring in.  He's had such little time with this squad to assess and work with.  In the space of just over a week our style of play has completely changed.  Someone like Hunt has come in and thrown a massive marker down for him to stay in the team.  Mullarkey showing something like his very early season form.  

It's about confidence rather than ability for a lot of this squad.  If Artell can improve those confidence levels the need to bring new faces in completely lessens, certainly in terms of numbers anyway.  Difficult to definitively say so after just two games, but this squad seems far more suited to Artell's approach than Hurst's.  The previous views of certain players needing to be moved on will completely adjust based on the new style of play.

Equally so a one-in-one-out policy does tie hands a little too.  But I think going forward we're going to see very little change.  The three strikers are all doing fairly well, Khan and Gnahoua look to suit this approach and there's Ainley who he's worked with before and would be a surprise if he's not involved heavily once fully fit.  Then there's Vernam, who can't be far off a return and on paper at least may be someone who really flourishes with open and expansive football.  

I can't imagine Artell is someone who will want a set anchor in midfield.  We've already seen Conteh and definitely Hunt playing with a bit more freedom going forward.  Perhaps it'll be a case of using Green in that role when needed rather than having someone defaulting there.

It's at the back where I think we're going to see any movement.  Amos, unless he's injured, is completely out the picture and I can't see him displacing Glennon again.  If Glennon is unavailable, Clifton and Khouri can cover there.  I think someone like Amos going out might open up the possibility of bringing another centre-back in.  I'm keen to see Rodgers and Maher get back to their early season form, but I think we need something a bit more extra in there.  Someone a bit more physical but mobile with it too, which Waterfall isn't.  Omar Beckles is actually a great shout from Nelly.

Regards Cartwright, unless I'm missing something he's looking absolutely fine.  His early cup form was worrying but since coming into the side he's being a huge upgrade.  I do get that there's a couple of goals where he might have done better at but that's the nature of a young goalkeeper learning his trade.  When Dean Henderson was here he managed to let in at least two soft goals in only seven goals.  

Like most managers I'm sure Artell will already have a list of core players that he's worked with before and values what they bring beyond just their footballing ability.  The Shaun Pearson types of the world if you like.  
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 1373
MuddyWaters
December 5, 2023, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
Near impossible to predict what Artell will want and indeed try to bring in.  He's had such little time with this squad to assess and work with.  In the space of just over a week our style of play has completely changed.  Someone like Hunt has come in and thrown a massive marker down for him to stay in the team.  Mullarkey showing something like his very early season form.  

It's about confidence rather than ability for a lot of this squad.  If Artell can improve those confidence levels the need to bring new faces in completely lessens, certainly in terms of numbers anyway.  Difficult to definitively say so after just two games, but this squad seems far more suited to Artell's approach than Hurst's.  The previous views of certain players needing to be moved on will completely adjust based on the new style of play.

Equally so a one-in-one-out policy does tie hands a little too.  But I think going forward we're going to see very little change.  The three strikers are all doing fairly well, Khan and Gnahoua look to suit this approach and there's Ainley who he's worked with before and would be a surprise if he's not involved heavily once fully fit.  Then there's Vernam, who can't be far off a return and on paper at least may be someone who really flourishes with open and expansive football.  

I can't imagine Artell is someone who will want a set anchor in midfield.  We've already seen Conteh and definitely Hunt playing with a bit more freedom going forward.  Perhaps it'll be a case of using Green in that role when needed rather than having someone defaulting there.

It's at the back where I think we're going to see any movement.  Amos, unless he's injured, is completely out the picture and I can't see him displacing Glennon again.  If Glennon is unavailable, Clifton and Khouri can cover there.  I think someone like Amos going out might open up the possibility of bringing another centre-back in.  I'm keen to see Rodgers and Maher get back to their early season form, but I think we need something a bit more extra in there.  Someone a bit more physical but mobile with it too, which Waterfall isn't.  Omar Beckles is actually a great shout from Nelly.

Regards Cartwright, unless I'm missing something he's looking absolutely fine.  His early cup form was worrying but since coming into the side he's being a huge upgrade.  I do get that there's a couple of goals where he might have done better at but that's the nature of a young goalkeeper learning his trade.  When Dean Henderson was here he managed to let in at least two soft goals in only seven goals.  

Like most managers I'm sure Artell will already have a list of core players that he's worked with before and values what they bring beyond just their footballing ability.  The Shaun Pearson types of the world if you like.  I'm sure

Good post.

I think he'll soon work out who he wants to work with and who he can afford to let go. If, as Andrew Pettit suggested, it's one in and one out, then I reckon it might be three or four changes in January.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 1373
ginnywings
December 5, 2023, 9:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
I wonder where that leaves the work done by Joe Hutchinson over the months since the last window shut?

He would have been looking for players in that time, but DA may have different ideas on who and what he wants.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 1373
138 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.