Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 216,048 views. Print
138 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
November 30, 2023, 7:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Carwrights doing ok for me and an improvement on Eastwood. Eastwood did well for a start but went downhill fast. Whether it was a confidence thing or not I don't know but the 1 thing we should remember is that the ball has to pass 10 men before reaching the goalkeeper.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 1373
cannylad65
November 30, 2023, 8:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 6
We need a better goalkeeper than what we have at the moment.
Allowing Cartwright to go back to his parent club, would throw up space for a new goalkeeper.
I know I will get hammered for this, but remember my words.

Cartwright reminds me too much of Phil Barnes, who was a good shot stopper, but wouldn't come off his line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 1373
pen penfras
November 30, 2023, 9:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from forza ivano

have a look at his promotion winning squad - astonishing rate of success for the youngsters in it.

currently playing in the Championship - Perry Ng, Harry Pickering, Ryan Wintle
currently playing at good League 1 sides - Charlie Kirk (sold for £500,000), Tom lowery, Owen Dale (undisclosed, but had been valued at a million, although it was much less)

That was the end of the Dario Gradi conveyor belt. I doubt any lower league club will produce youth of that calibre, consistently, ever again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 1373
LocalLadGTFC
November 30, 2023, 10:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from cannylad65
We need a better goalkeeper than what we have at the moment.
Allowing Cartwright to go back to his parent club, would throw up space for a new goalkeeper.
I know I will get hammered for this, but remember my words.

Cartwright reminds me too much of Phil Barnes, who was a good shot stopper, but wouldn't come off his line.

Well that's just not true and a load of crap, Harvey came and collected 2/3 corners and crosses against MK in which he was contested. One of them is at the start of his career and finding his way in the mans game and the other was at the end of his career with no scope for improvement. One has also played for England Youth in a golden generation of talent coming through in which the younger age groups are winning world cups and european championships reguarly. We have a very good goalkeeper coach in Steve and someone who is very good at bringing someone out there shell.. Harvey is only going to improve the more he plays and the older he gets.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 1373
davmariner
November 30, 2023, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Harvey isn’t the problem, though we do need a new goalkeeper. I’d be inclined to try and move Eastwood on ASAP.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 1373
forza ivano
November 30, 2023, 11:13am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,210
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from pen penfras

That was the end of the Dario Gradi conveyor belt. I doubt any lower league club will produce youth of that calibre, consistently, ever again.

Artell was appointed head of youth ops at Crewe in July 14, so most of those players mentioned were 14,15,16 when he came in ; so i think maybe we could agree that he did have some input their development??

which is why I think 1 of the more interesting aspects of Artell's appointment is what he will make of Conteh,  Khouri, Bramwell, Gardner, Tomlinson, Braithwaite plus the 4 or 5 stars of this year's youth team
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 1373
LocalLadGTFC
November 30, 2023, 11:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
Harvey isn’t the problem, though we do need a new goalkeeper. I’d be inclined to try and move Eastwood on ASAP.

I agree Eastwood isn't good enough, and Hull may want to keep Harvey so a new keeper is definitely needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 1373
Son of Cod
November 30, 2023, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from forza ivano

Artell was appointed head of youth ops at Crewe in July 14, so most of those players mentioned were 14,15,16 when he came in ; so i think maybe we could agree that he did have some input their development??

which is why I think 1 of the more interesting aspects of Artell's appointment is what he will make of Conteh,  Khouri, Bramwell, Gardner, Tomlinson, Braithwaite plus the 4 or 5 stars of this year's youth team

While I do hope that Artell has a positive impact in more of our youngsters' prospects, I think it's important to keep in mind the difference in our academy and Crewe's. They're a category two academy versus ours being a three so probably spend a few million a year on theirs. As such the baseline for that crop of youngsters that he brought through was much higher than ours is and has ever been. They'll have been better players to start with and you'd imagine that after the Manchester clubs that Crewe are one of, if not the most appealing prospect in the area given their track record for getting younger players onto the pitch. I know you're not suggesting that all the above Town prospects plus 4 or 5 others will break through, but I do think we need to temper our expectations. Even if one (not counting Conteh or Khouri in that btw) breaks through and becomes a regular then I think we'll have done well. Anything more will be very good. What I do think is apparent though is that if one manager is gonna give that a crack then it'll be Artell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 1373
LocalLadGTFC
November 30, 2023, 12:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

While I do hope that Artell has a positive impact in more of our youngsters' prospects, I think it's important to keep in mind the difference in our academy and Crewe's. They're a category two academy versus ours being a three so probably spend a few million a year on theirs. As such the baseline for that crop of youngsters that he brought through was much higher than ours is and has ever been. They'll have been better players to start with and you'd imagine that after the Manchester clubs that Crewe are one of, if not the most appealing prospect in the area given their track record for getting younger players onto the pitch. I know you're not suggesting that all the above Town prospects plus 4 or 5 others will break through, but I do think we need to temper our expectations. Even if one (not counting Conteh or Khouri in that btw) breaks through and becomes a regular then I think we'll have done well. Anything more will be very good. What I do think is apparent though is that if one manager is gonna give that a crack then it'll be Artell.

The lads we have right now are probably the best bunch we've had in a very long time. Cameron Gardner already has a pro, Harvey Cribb has already played 15 odd games in L2 for Scunthorpe. Shakeel Brown is a very exciting talent among many others so it's very promising for Artell to be in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 1373
Poojah
November 30, 2023, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,610
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

The lads we have right now are probably the best bunch we've had in a very long time. Cameron Gardner already has a pro, Harvey Cribb has already played 15 odd games in L2 for Scunthorpe. Shakeel Brown is a very exciting talent among many others so it's very promising for Artell to be in charge.

Am I right in thinking Grayson Giles is the other young lad we've taken on from Scunny, who has been ridiculously prolific at youth level? I think he's a bit younger than those above, but sounded like a very good prospect going off what (relatively little) I've heard about him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 1373
138 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.