Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 218,344 views. Print
138 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
December 29, 2023, 4:07pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Lord Gadiform

Surprised at this from you Ron. After the Newport game you said ‘I am very confident that he will take us well up the table in the new year.’

What’s changed for you in those two weeks? Maybe the score flashes didn’t you the good vibes this time.

We’ll know whether to be concerned by the second game in March. I suspect things will look different by then. It might even look different in four days time.

This reminds me of last January where there was panic from some. Best just to tune it all out and support the team. Simplify it to that and it can be quite good fun.

I don't read it as Ron changing his view at all. The post starts with a question on peoples views and not Ron's personal view at all.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 1373
DaleH
December 29, 2023, 4:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +810
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from RonMariner
Do people think we are in a better or worse position now then we were when Hurst came back in 2020?  The new manager inheriting a disjointed and under performing squad on the fringes of the relegation zone?

There is no mileage to be gained on comparing relegation in previous seasons to where we are now. Simple fact is that you could have a better squad now and still slip through the trap door. Or even have a worse squad now and stay up.

It’s about the here and now, whether or not we battle well enough to get sufficient points, and what happens elsewhere with the other struggling teams in our league.

The simple fact is that we are part of the relegation threatened strugglers, and it’s time to strap ourselves in and hold onto our hats in hope.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 1373
Mighty_Mariner
December 29, 2023, 4:33pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,245
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Hearing we could have someone to announce in the first 3/4 days of the window opening

Any names being rumoured mate?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 1373
davmariner
December 29, 2023, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Any names being rumoured mate?

I wouldn’t pay much attention, he’s well known for making up transfer rumours.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 1373
IlkleyMariner
December 29, 2023, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,036
Gold Stars: 69
I’ve heard there is a rumour that someone knows who we might or might not sign. Possibly January 2024 or later.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 1373
mariner2000
December 30, 2023, 10:20am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +175
Gold Stars: 5
Well, how much does last night's lineup/performance mess up; with people's thinking of who is leaving.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 225 - 1373
davmariner
December 30, 2023, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from mariner2000
Well, how much does last night's lineup/performance mess up; with people's thinking of who is leaving.....

Not much to be honest. Defensively we still experienced a few too many hairy moments and is definitely an area that we need to improve.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 1373
RonMariner
December 30, 2023, 10:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,889
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from mariner2000

It's tough to decide because the performances of individual players (apart from Danny Rose)  varies from game to game.  So the team looks abject, error prone and leaderless in one game, but can look outstanding a few days later!

Are we the side that had people talking about one of the worst ever performances against Harrogate or the team that bossed Salford out of sight a week later?

The fact is that we are inconsistent at the moment. But while it is possible for a good player to play badly, it is far more unlikely that a really poor player can play well. So despite the inconsistency logic suggest that we do have players with potential and that the task is to get the best out of them on a more consistent basis. Clearly team formation and tactics are key here as square pegs will play better in square holes.

It's also worth remembering that we have several potentially key players out through injury or lacking match fitness right now; Pyke, Wilson, Arthur G, Hunt, Vernham. That's half a team right there.

So maybe Artell will bring in fewer new faces than some of us expect in January but he clearly does intend to do some strengthening.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 1373
forza ivano
December 30, 2023, 10:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,302
Gold Stars: 266
Isnt it also about the balance? I.e. without waterfall we lack leadership, but hes vulnerable in other aspects. We still have to resolve how to get the best out of rose, hes running round like a nutter every game with v. Little help. The midfield needs sorting as well, that midfield looked really good last night, and that's without conteh , which leads on to the question, how do we best use Cobteh, as in sure were not using him to his full potential.
We have sorted out the g.k. situation , which was a conundrum, now we need to sort out the rest of the spine; central defence, midfield balance n support for Rose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 1373
December 30, 2023, 10:47am
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
Isnt it also about the balance? I.e. without waterfall we lack leadership, but hes vulnerable in other aspects. We still have to resolve how to get the best out of rose, hes running round like a nutter every game with v. Little help. The midfield needs sorting as well, that midfield looked really good last night, and that's without conteh , which leads on to the question, how do we best use Cobteh, as in sure were not using him to his full potential.
We have sorted out the g.k. situation , which was a conundrum, now we need to sort out the rest of the spine; central defence, midfield balance n support for Rose

I agree we have sorted out the GK situation, but only for as long as Hull City allow him to be here on loan.  I know he is a fair bit down the pecking order there so I think there is a good chance he will stay here till the end of the season.  However, not so sure about next season, maybe Hull might want to loan him out to a League 1 side to further his experience, I hope not, but we will see.

Reply: 229 - 1373
138 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.