Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, GTFCNiles and 14 Guests

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 218,285 views. Print
138 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
denni266
January 1, 2024, 7:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Who in their right mind is going to want to join this poop show..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 1373
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2024, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from denni266
Who in their right mind is going to want to join this poop show..

Someone who’s a decent footballer who wants to play attacking football. Let’s face it, it won’t be difficult to nail down a starting spot.
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 1373
Hagrid
January 1, 2024, 7:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,530
Gold Stars: 544
Entirely new back 4
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 1373
Tinymariner
January 1, 2024, 7:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Hagrid
Entirely new back 4

Absolutely!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 1373
Roast Em Bobby
January 1, 2024, 8:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Hagrid
Entirely new back 4

Midfield is just as bad. Andrews was within a few yards of his man from the half way line to the edge of our box and failed to put a tackle in (in the build up to their 2nd), and Conteh made no effort whatsover to chase down the player who run past him to score their third, and then gave the penalty away and Eisa is a luxury player who doesn't put enough effort in and just shows glimpses in every game. We're powder puff and so easy to attack against.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 1373
Yoda
January 1, 2024, 8:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,183
Gold Stars: 73
I fear no one will come for a relegation dog fight if they have other offers on the table.
Just the dross will be available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 1373
diehardmariner
January 2, 2024, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Much is made of the success of Artell's Crewe side and their youthfulness.  

But it was also quite deliberately laced with significant experience.  Nicky Hunt, Paul Green and Chris Dagnell were all key members of that squad, with the first two brought in by Artell.

We lack leadership and experience.  Waterfall has lots but I think after he impressed against Salford he showed yesterday his signficant limitations.  Clifton has plenty of games under his belt but I'm not sure he's what I would call a natural leader.  You've got Rose who has experience, leads by example and is quite rightly one of very few who has credit in the bank at the minute.  

You're then really down to the bones of leadership qualities and know-how at this level or above.  

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the bulk of the business this window is about bringing in old heads who are probably unspectacular on paper but definitely about improving the make-up and collective strength of the squad.
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 1373
ginnywings
January 2, 2024, 10:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

But it was also quite deliberately laced with significant experience.  Nicky Hunt, Paul Green and Chris Dagnell were all key members of that squad, with the first two brought in by Artell.

We lack leadership and experience.  Waterfall has lots but I think after he impressed against Salford he showed yesterday his signficant limitations.  Clifton has plenty of games under his belt but I'm not sure he's what I would call a natural leader.  You've got Rose who has experience, leads by example and is quite rightly one of very few who has credit in the bank at the minute.  

You're then really down to the bones of leadership qualities and know-how at this level or above.  

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the bulk of the business this window is about bringing in old heads who are probably unspectacular on paper but definitely about improving the make-up and collective strength of the squad.

Salford are bottom of the form table, having taken 2 points from the last 6 games, so it was a comfortable night for Waterfall against a side that are heading for non league. Walsall are the exact opposite, and are top of the form guide with 15 points from the last 6 games, and he was brutally exposed.

As much as Luke was our best player for a couple of seasons, especially in getting us back to the EFL, he's not good enough now. He was dreadful against Accrington, giving away a goal, and then getting skinned, bringing down the player and getting sent off. I thought then his time was up and he has rightly been left on the bench until Friday. Yesterday confirmed that.

We desperately need recruitment in this area. Three recognized centre backs at the club, and none of them inspire solidity and confidence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 1373
diehardmariner
January 2, 2024, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Agreed.

Salford were both awful and also played to into Waterfall's hands.  Yesterday's display from him reminded me a lot of his performances in the 20/21 relegation season.  OK at the start of games but always had an error in him, once that was made he went to pieces.

If we can get a version of him from 21/22 in this window, we'll be laughing.
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 1373
lew chaterleys lover
January 2, 2024, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,812
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from diehardmariner

Bizarrely despite yesterday's mauling I think we have enough quality in the squad as the manager alluded to when he arrived and as shown in some matches, and indeed yesterday until they equalised.

It's the blend which is completely wrong, no grit or determination to combine the skill with a will to win and get back in a game that goes against us. I think you are right what we need more than anything is mentally strong seasoned pros,if we can attract them.

The good football with a ruthless streak is what we need.
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 1373
138 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.