Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 220,184 views. Print
138 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2024, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,148
Gold Stars: 241
Quoted from diehardmariner
Much is made of the success of Artell's Crewe side and their youthfulness.  

But it was also quite deliberately laced with significant experience.  Nicky Hunt, Paul Green and Chris Dagnell were all key members of that squad, with the first two brought in by Artell.

We lack leadership and experience.  Waterfall has lots but I think after he impressed against Salford he showed yesterday his signficant limitations.  Clifton has plenty of games under his belt but I'm not sure he's what I would call a natural leader.  You've got Rose who has experience, leads by example and is quite rightly one of very few who has credit in the bank at the minute.  

You're then really down to the bones of leadership qualities and know-how at this level or above.  

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the bulk of the business this window is about bringing in old heads who are probably unspectacular on paper but definitely about improving the make-up and collective strength of the squad.

Been saying for a while we lack leadership, especially when we concede and just start finger pointing.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 260 - 1373
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2024, 11:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,148
Gold Stars: 241
Agreed.

Salford were both awful and also played to into Waterfall's hands.  Yesterday's display from him reminded me a lot of his performances in the 20/21 relegation season.  OK at the start of games but always had an error in him, once that was made he went to pieces.

If we can get a version of him from 21/22 in this window, we'll be laughing.

All of the above is right about Luke, good lad for sure, think Mullarkey could have done a bit more to help him on the first goal yesterday though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 261 - 1373
Son of Cod
January 2, 2024, 12:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,359
Gold Stars: 198
Charlie Kirk to Tranmere. Do I get any points for that if it comes off or does it have to be Town transfers?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 262 - 1373
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 2, 2024, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,154
Gold Stars: 203
Desperate for a strike partner (that can stay fit) for rose

3 defenders , as I think glennon has looked decent. I think mullarkey has been blowing hot and cold at right back, which is a shame as he came with a lot of promise same could be said about Rodger’s.

It was also mentioned on the DN35 podcast last night, that there is a keeper either due to be signed or being looked at to be brought in.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 263 - 1373
January 2, 2024, 1:31pm
Guest User

Bizarrely despite yesterday's mauling I think we have enough quality in the squad as the manager alluded to when he arrived and as shown in some matches, and indeed yesterday until they equalised.

It's the blend which is completely wrong, no grit or determination to combine the skill with a will to win and get back in a game that goes against us. I think you are right what we need more than anything is mentally strong seasoned pros,if we can attract them.

The good football with a ruthless streak is what we need.

100% agree with this post.

Reply: 264 - 1373
forza ivano
January 2, 2024, 1:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +71 / -21
Approval: +15,315
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Desperate for a strike partner (that can stay fit) for rose

3 defenders , as I think glennon has looked decent. I think mullarkey has been blowing hot and cold at right back, which is a shame as he came with a lot of promise same could be said about Rodger’s.

It was also mentioned on the DN35 podcast last night, that there is a keeper either due to be signed or being looked at to be brought in.

That will be where the Ben Garratt rumour comes from then. Presumably Eastwood is being paid up or Harvey is being recalled by Ull
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 265 - 1373
diehardmariner
January 2, 2024, 1:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,900
Gold Stars: 553
Would genuinely be surprised to see Cartwright recalled.  Made himself first choice here and there's at least two experienced and capable 'keepers ahead of him in the Hull line-up.

Equally so think we'll do well to find anyone who is willing to take Eastwood's contract up, which would make paying him off fairly expensive.  

Should always look to strengthen in all areas, but unless it's with a distinct eye on the future goalkeeper would be well down the list of areas I think we need to improve on this month.
Private Message
Reply: 266 - 1373
forza ivano
January 2, 2024, 2:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +71 / -21
Approval: +15,315
Gold Stars: 266
Would genuinely be surprised to see Cartwright recalled.  Made himself first choice here and there's at least two experienced and capable 'keepers ahead of him in the Hull line-up.

Equally so think we'll do well to find anyone who is willing to take Eastwood's contract up, which would make paying him off fairly expensive.  

Should always look to strengthen in all areas, but unless it's with a distinct eye on the future goalkeeper would be well down the list of areas I think we need to improve on this month.

that was my thought, but it seems a repeated rumour, although could be just an echo chamber of course
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 267 - 1373
Maringer
January 2, 2024, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,786
Gold Stars: 189
As I commented last month, we're desperately short of league experience in central midfield. Andrews, Conteh, Green and Holohan have only played league football with us and their previous experience has always been in non-league football. Hunt made a handful of appearances for Sheffield Wednesday and a few more for Oldham during their relegation season, but otherwise he's very inexperienced at this level. I think Hurst realised this, which is why Ainley was brought in well after the start of the season, but then he's barely featured, either. Has he been injured? Not heard much about him. Clifton has played plenty of games since our return to the league due to his fitness and work ethic (and I thought he played OK yesterday), but isn't generally trusted in the middle.

Their midfield two yesterday, Comley and Hutchinson have hardly played loads of league football between them compared to some, but I think they've both had more league starts than all of our central midfielders combined. A vast difference in experience levels.

I think anybody hoping for big changes in the squad is going to be disappointed as Artell was pretty clear in his interview after the game that there wouldn't be big changes, perhaps just a few loanees. As he said, it's not a proper transfer window as so few decent players are available for moves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 268 - 1373
diehardmariner
January 2, 2024, 2:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,900
Gold Stars: 553
That lack of experience in midfield was quite evident yesterday too.  Quite a few occasions it was just crying out for someone to get the ball, calm things down and really take the fizz out the game, especially when they got back into the game.  Instead we just persisted with running around a bit headless.

Regards Ainley, I think he's more of a winger isn't he?  But he's completely fallen off the radar, he might be injured but I really expected him to feature a bit more under a manager who knows what he can offer and how to get the best out of him.  It's limited what I've seen of him in a Town shirt but he looks to have something we seem to lack and that's a bit of guile in those attacking areas.  Eisa is a shot and little else.  Arthur and Khan might as well be the same player, both industrious and with good close control but very little end product, Clifton works his heart out be it in the middle or out wide but isn't the same player as last season and when both Pyke and Wilson operate out wide they're looking to get in behind rather than drift inside and influence play - which is fine and has it's role, but just a bit much about muchness if they both play.

Really hoping Vernam hits the ground running because we really look ineffective in and around Rose.  How the hell he's managed 11 so far is a bloody miracle.  In all seriousness we probably should be fearing someone coming in with a decent offer for him!
Private Message
Reply: 269 - 1373
138 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.