Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 30 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 76,178 views. Print
92 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
December 26, 2018, 8:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Think that way myself Pete... it's the political equivalent of footballers running the clock down, feigning injury and keeping the ball close to the corner flag, in the knowledge that if they can waste time at every opportunity and see things out in additioonal time, there's a replay looming

Anyway as it stands, in or out, there's nothing the likes of me or you can do about this.... May made it pretty clear in PMQs that she thinks this whole is process is some kind of laughable pantomime

Thank goodness we have football to distract us....All Town aren't we!

Btw a belated Merry Christmas to you and yours and all the best for 2019!

Have a very happy new year Tim, Town are begining to click now,

Who knows how good we can be with 2 or 3 good signings

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 918
KingstonMariner
December 27, 2018, 2:29am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Marinerz93

In fairness everyone I have met in 'real life' off the fishy has been spot on, so I wouldn't doubt what you say for one minute. Differing views and opinions is what makes this a great board. We all get frustrated with different topics especially when we all want or wholeheartedly believe whats is best.

Aye. We're all passionate about stuff. The one thing that unites us is Town. Actually, two things unite us. We all love our country too.

I get carried away and forget those things now and again.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 918
KingstonMariner
December 27, 2018, 2:38am
Meths Drinker
I was trying to find the post which said the EU Army was a bad idea because of inter-country rivalry (and the poster cited NATO exercises where French and then Germans brought along increasingly senior officers so they could take command). That's exactly why a united army is necessary. A single unified command structure (under one federal state) will make it work.

Just like the nascent 'United' States did when they rebelled against Britain. They had to create the Continental Congress and the Continental Army (and ultimately a common currency). Before that they were 13 rival states that Britain would have picked off at will. I don't think they ever put it to the electorate. The state legislatures just did it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 918
Marinerz93
December 27, 2018, 2:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I was trying to find the post which said the EU Army was a bad idea because of inter-country rivalry (and the poster cited NATO exercises where French and then Germans brought along increasingly senior officers so they could take command). That's exactly why a united army is necessary. A single unified command structure (under one federal state) will make it work.

Just like the nascent 'United' States did when they rebelled against Britain. They had to create the Continental Congress and the Continental Army (and ultimately a common currency). Before that they were 13 rival states that Britain would have picked off at will. I don't think they ever put it to the electorate. The state legislatures just did it.

I cited the one up man-ship of rank pulling that goes on in NATO and every country does it, if you think that an EU army will be united in any way shape or form, it won't. It'll be disjointed and you'll have more political involvement than we do now. There won't be a specific EU Army, Navy or Airforce as there is already a structure in place where Germany control so many other countries armies under an EU banner, just like NATO banner. I can't see people going to join a specific EU army, Navy or Airforce, The cost is one thing that will definitely spiral out of control and who is going to pay for it. We will be talking billions here, the EU wastes millions moving offices every month just think of the waste of money as headquarters gets moved around to suit the Field Marshalls/generals at the time of command, that's if they take turns.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 918
KingstonMariner
January 3, 2019, 1:17am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I cited the one up man-ship of rank pulling that goes on in NATO and every country does it, if you think that an EU army will be united in any way shape or form, it won't. It'll be disjointed and you'll have more political involvement than we do now. There won't be a specific EU Army, Navy or Airforce as there is already a structure in place where Germany control so many other countries armies under an EU banner, just like NATO banner. I can't see people going to join a specific EU army, Navy or Airforce, The cost is one thing that will definitely spiral out of control and who is going to pay for it. We will be talking billions here, the EU wastes millions moving offices every month just think of the waste of money as headquarters gets moved around to suit the Field Marshalls/generals at the time of command, that's if they take turns.

The whole point is that with a federal Europe and a EU army there'll be a single command structure. No need to rotate it. There'll be fewer problems than there would be with NATO. Or are you saying that there isn't a problem with NATO because the Americans are in charge? In which case, we've opted to give up membership of a federation where we get a say on what happens to being a vassal state where important decisions are made by the baseball cap wearing denizens of Hicksville, Odahio.

Sure the project will take decades to reach a level that the policy framework is bedded in. But ultimately that's got to happen. Europe needs to be in a position to defend itself - as you pointed out elsewhere, 'why should America(n taxpayers) pay for Europe's defence' (actually for the very good reason that it's in the US' interests not to have Europe controlled by an antagonistic power). It's better able to defend itself with a unified command structure and political unity. Worked well for the US.

I think you also mentioned the prospect of an EU army being seen as a threat by the Russians. Like they don't see NATO as a threat? They've been bleating for years about NATO anti-missile shields, NATO expansion into Eastern Europe, NATO encircling Russia in central Asia, the Caucasus etc. There would be more legitimacy in EU troops patrolling the borders of the Baltic states than American ones.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 918
Skrill
January 3, 2019, 8:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
With an EU Federation, Europe would end up with a scenario like Yugoslavia. One main reason for the breakup of Yugoslavia was because of the head of the collective presidency was rotated between representatives of the different republics. Authority being passed around. People don't like being told what to do by other nations.

What would an EU Army stand for? Globalism, censorship, taxation without representation, regulation. All while headed by corruptible failed former European PMs/Presidents and suspiciously elected and unaccountable EU Commission. Also making in-efficient, cost in-effective militarises bloated by more bureaucracy, when we already have a vast array of military branches and in addition we'd lose our proud regimental history. (As what would happen if absorbed into an EU Army) Yeah fantastic.

Tweet 316134373063806976 will appear here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 918
Marinerz93
January 5, 2019, 11:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The whole point is that with a federal Europe and a EU army there'll be a single command structure. No need to rotate it. There'll be fewer problems than there would be with NATO. Or are you saying that there isn't a problem with NATO because the Americans are in charge? In which case, we've opted to give up membership of a federation where we get a say on what happens to being a vassal state where important decisions are made by the baseball cap wearing denizens of Hicksville, Odahio.

Sure the project will take decades to reach a level that the policy framework is bedded in. But ultimately that's got to happen. Europe needs to be in a position to defend itself - as you pointed out elsewhere, 'why should America(n taxpayers) pay for Europe's defence' (actually for the very good reason that it's in the US' interests not to have Europe controlled by an antagonistic power). It's better able to defend itself with a unified command structure and political unity. Worked well for the US.

I think you also mentioned the prospect of an EU army being seen as a threat by the Russians. Like they don't see NATO as a threat? They've been bleating for years about NATO anti-missile shields, NATO expansion into Eastern Europe, NATO encircling Russia in central Asia, the Caucasus etc. There would be more legitimacy in EU troops patrolling the borders of the Baltic states than American ones.

The EU falls down on command of operations, only the British, French (much lower than UK), have any real command of operations that are in the EU.

The US hicks have an enormous amount of experience in operations and have been funding NATO more or less since it was formed and are a superpower and you think an over zealous Belgian MEP with holes in his pockets and plans of dominance, can match the infrastructure needed to replace NATO, the US can call on spy satellites to unmanned drones. This has cost billions to put in place and the rest of the EU are so far behind it's like looking at the Flintstones taking on Predator.

Putin has bemoaned that he feels the US/NATO have surrounded Russia the difference is the language used, Verhofstadt has made speeches in Brussels that the EU Army must front up to Russia, a show of force, is that not a more aggressive stance than what NATO has done.

An EU federal army won't happen, far too expensive, you may get a officer command training station, what will happen and is happening is each country will submit command of it's forces to France or Germany like it currently does now so deployable, interoperable force under a single command carrying out EU foreign policy. You still haven't addressed the cost, some of the EU countries are putting less than the agreed 2% of GDP into defence of their own countries and you think that an EU army can replace NATO.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 918
codcheeky
January 15, 2019, 7:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Surely May will resign?
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 918
LH
January 15, 2019, 7:57pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
They’re all in this together. The Commons sure won’t let her and them continue? We go to a general election and this shitshow gets another series.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 918
forza ivano
January 15, 2019, 8:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,141
Gold Stars: 265
You won't be getting a general election. Turkeys won't vote for Xmas!
A spectacular loss, in fact I 'd dare to say that is quite an incredible achievement to spend so much time and effort on an agreement that was defeated by so many. And don't forget she has c 80-90 votes tied up by all the tories on the government payroll ( in fact that may be as much as 125) so in reality she got c100 votes out of a possible 560. That takes some doing o alienate so many different people. When she took over and spoke so eloquently about uniting people, I didn't really think she would take t this far  
Matt hancocks shell shocked face was a picture!
Let's hope they have some indicative votes and the sensible heads on both sides get together and force through a Norway type deal which is about the only thing which can get through

Incidentally nobody seems to have raised the following possibility. We exit on either Norway or no deal terms. We then have a general election a couple of years later, by which time we've got a good idea as to how the new arrangement is working.There is absolutely nothing to stop either the tories or labour saying in their manifesto, right the present arrangement hasn't worked , if we get elected we will rejoin the e.u. / exit the present arrangements for wto rules/ apply to join efta or the eea

Ps one other thought. Why couldn't we have a second referendum solely on the 3 brexit options? The May deal / Norway/ no deal?  (I've remaining in the e.u. Isn't an option)That would be respecting the wishes of the voters for brexit, whilst giving us a choice on the final details now that we are much better informed as to he consequences and possibilities
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 918
92 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.