Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 76,156 views. Print
92 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
December 21, 2018, 11:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
Bear in mind that approximately a quarter of the national debt is actually the £435 billion created by QE which is owed to the Bank of England. Who owns the Bank of England? Well, it's the UK government! One part of the UK government 'owes' over £400 billion to another part of the government. Is it really possible to owe yourself money? How many know that the interest paid on the bonds created during QE goes to pay off the national debt!

Another thing to recall is that the UK national debt is denominated in Sterling. The UK government is the sole issuer of Sterling (although they authorise UK banks to create Sterling) so we can never run out of money. The countries that people use as scare stories (Zimbabwe, Venezuela etc) about inflation don't borrow in their own currency - they borrow in other currencies over which they have no control (usually USD). When we need to pay interest on debt in Sterling, we can just create the money to do so and the only place it can then ultimately be spent is the UK.

Finally, who owns the debt is important. About half is owned by UK institutions, banks, pension funds and individuals. The interest paid is then retained in the UK. It also provides a reliable investment opportunity for pension funds and the like.

The Tory justification for austerity in 2010 was entirely spurious. If your national debt gallops out of control, you've got something to be concerned about. Ours didn't (quite), despite the financial crisis. The fact that the UK government is selling long term gilts at rates effectively below inflation is very telling - investors are basically willing to lose money to keep a reliable income stream from the interest.

Don't go confusing people with facts. You know it only makes them madder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 918
KingstonMariner
December 21, 2018, 11:16pm
Meths Drinker
Why is it when you go out, it's always the Brexiteers that want to bend your ear in the pub and won't shut the intercourse up? Always moaning about 'Remoaners' who apparently won't keep quiet. Yet it's always Brexiteers that drone on* about the whole thing, like some sad illegitimate with a hobby-horse and no mates. Get over yourselves. We'd be a more successful country if you shut the intercourse up and we could all get on with each other and build the new future you bleat on about. But like my ex-wife, you won't let it lie.

* Gatwick reference unintended

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 918
Marinerz93
December 22, 2018, 10:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Why is it when you go out, it's always the Brexiteers that want to bend your ear in the pub and won't shut the intercourse up? Always moaning about 'Remoaners' who apparently won't keep quiet. Yet it's always Brexiteers that drone on* about the whole thing, like some sad illegitimate with a hobby-horse and no mates. Get over yourselves. We'd be a more successful country if you shut the intercourse up and we could all get on with each other and build the new future you bleat on about. But like my ex-wife, you won't let it lie.

* Gatwick reference unintended

I would say that depends on the company you keep and the people you mix with. Maybe it's you attracting the Brexiters with you ruining their evening remoaning loudly and sapping the life out of the party, the comment about shutting the intercourse up goes both ways. A democratic vote was taken to leave the EU,  and it seems the anti democratic federalists are the ones that have no grip on the reality of a Federal Europe with more and more power as they control everything in our lives without our consent and the inability to vote the bureaucrats out or the ability to say no.

Unanimity - Unanimity Rule is a voting rule in which decisions are made based on unanimous approval of those casting votes. That is, every voter must cast the same vote. Unanimity is used in elections where there is no room for doubt or disagreement. The veto that remainers cling to is going as Juncter stated in his state of the Union speech, just like the EU army and EU embassys that he said would happen and the happless remainers said would never happen. These plans all came pre 2012 and they are now in place. The EU's final pieces of the jigsaw are coming together and they'll soon have total control in the coming years.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 918
grimsby pete
December 22, 2018, 12:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I would just like to add its the remainers that keep harping on about another referendum,

I also think the EU will blink first when we get nearer the day if they think we are leaving with no deal.

Relax all will be well.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 918
KingstonMariner
December 22, 2018, 12:59pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I would say that depends on the company you keep and the people you mix with. Maybe it's you attracting the Brexiters with you ruining their evening remoaning loudly and sapping the life out of the party, the comment about shutting the intercourse up goes both ways.

Not at all. I never mention the subject when out socially, but it's always some sad sap who keeps bringing it up whether you know them or not. Brexiteers seem to think they can bend anyone's ear about it, any time. I've never approached anyone in a pub to start a conversation about Brexit and I've never had anyone approach me when I'm out and say 'this Brexit idea is bonkers innit?'

It's the Brexiteer bores who sap the life out of an evening out. They're typically the type who you can't engage in any meaningful intelligent conversation about it either - I've only ever spoken to one who you can have a proper discussion with, it's always their way or nothing. Argumentative loadmouths who have no ability to work with people who see things differently to find common ground.

They've ruined the country now they want to ruin my evening out!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 918
KingstonMariner
December 22, 2018, 1:02pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I would just like to add its the remainers that keep harping on about another referendum,

I also think the EU will blink first when we get nearer the day if they think we are leaving with no deal.

Relax all will be well.

No remainer has ever brought the subject up when I'm out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 918
barralad
December 22, 2018, 1:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from grimsby pete

Relax all will be well.

I campaigned for and voted to Remain. I do not want another referendum. I just want something more concrete than the hope that Brussels will "blink first" and something less nebulous than "Relax all will be well" You know something like a Brexiteer putting an actual time limit on this broadly quoted "Well it will be horrible for a while but then it will be ace". Given that austerity has lasted eight years with no end in sight (despite what the criminally useless Maybot comes out with) I do not expect to see this promised land any time soon.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 918
barralad
December 22, 2018, 1:47pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Marinerz93

I would say that depends on the company you keep and the people you mix with. Maybe it's you attracting the Brexiters with you ruining their evening remoaning loudly and sapping the life out of the party, the comment about shutting the intercourse up goes both ways. A democratic vote was taken to leave the EU,  and it seems the anti democratic federalists are the ones that have no grip on the reality of a Federal Europe with more and more power as they control everything in our lives without our consent and the inability to vote the bureaucrats out or the ability to say no.

Unanimity - Unanimity Rule is a voting rule in which decisions are made based on unanimous approval of those casting votes. That is, every voter must cast the same vote. Unanimity is used in elections where there is no room for doubt or disagreement. The veto that remainers cling to is going as Juncter stated in his state of the Union speech, just like the EU army and EU embassys that he said would happen and the happless remainers said would never happen. These plans all came pre 2012 and they are now in place. The EU's final pieces of the jigsaw are coming together and they'll soon have total control in the coming years.

Am used to your views on this mate but can you tell me which part of our British bureaucracy we can vote out now? The last time I looked all civil servants were unelected...even at the top. We can vote out MEPs it just so happens that the great British electorate voted in significant numbers to be represented by a party that boasted that it wouldn't represent them. They could have joined forces with other anti federalist parties but didn't. The British people got a sh1te deal from UKIP.
Here's a challenge. Name me five laws enacted by the E.U. that either we didn't like or couldn't veto..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 918
grimsby pete
December 22, 2018, 2:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Another thing that I think will not happen if we leave with no deal,

The EU will not have a hard border in Ireland and we wont,

So whats all the fuss been about.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 918
Maringer
December 22, 2018, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Not one to usually post videos, but I find this one amusing:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co......e0a0e4b09025ba310fce
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 918
92 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.