Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Maringer and 26 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 76,993 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
February 27, 2019, 10:37am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
It is becoming a situation like our new ground,

Yes we are getting it ,(  Brexit )

BUT

Not yet.

Maybe in another 20 years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 918
FishOutOfWater
February 27, 2019, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from chrissy
Well well well, how many times has May gone back on her word ?

She said no snap election,

She had said no PM would let N Ireland be different to the rest of the UK,

Gone back on both of those,

She said over one hundred times we are leaving with or without a deal on March 29th,

Now she says it can be extended.

I can not take her serious anymore,

Mind you Corbyne is not better  he says we should have another referendum

I never could Chrissy...

We'd probably be better off with Noel Edmonds in charge

At least he's got plenty of experience wrapping up "Deal or No Deal" scenarios without things dragging on and on and on
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 201 - 918
AdamHaddock
February 27, 2019, 3:03pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Question

If we have another referendum and the leave wins again what happens then ? and if we have another referendum and the remain wins would there be another referendum after that ? (best out of 3)

How would another vote (which is looking more likely now)   work? I’m puzzled

It would presumably be a choice between May's deal and remain with the result being final

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 918
Maringer
February 27, 2019, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,388
Gold Stars: 184
For any second referendum you'd ideally have some sort of a weighted vote or a transferrable vote but then the problem is that there aren't really two 'remain' options to choose from to balance out either side.

For leave you would have May's deal or No deal, However, without another remain option, having a fair and unbiased weighting would be very difficult. You'd simply end up with May's deal going through as hardcore Brexiteers voted for No deal followed by May's deal and remainers would vote for Remain followed by May's deal. If the possibility of EEA membership was on the cards it might be a different case, but it's just not.

As a thought experiment, I've seen some say we would have a weighted vote where the votes of the young are of greater value than those of the old! After all, they are the ones who are going to be living with the result for (often much) longer. Needless to say, most Brexiteers wouldn't be very happy with this outcome as they are generally much older and the best part of a million of them have died since the last referendum as it stands so you would guarantee a sizeable remain victory!

Oddly enough, if we didn't have a First Past the Post voting system in parliamentary elections, I reckon we'd have seen a second referendum voted through parliament a long while ago, either following a General Election or more probably, with remain MPs from all sides banding together to defeat the government. If the electoral calculus didn't indicate Labour might lose so many seats in their leave constituencies by backing a second referendum, I think they would have thrown their weight behind it some time ago. As it is, they've been twiddling their collective thumbs doing nothing whilst May pisses around assuming that the government would fall to pieces. They've underestimated just how much humiliation and dishonesty the Tories will accept to remain in power and it seems to have worked for them as the electorate doesn't seem to blame them for this mess which is entirely of their own making.

Thing is, I can't see the way to a second referendum even now when so many MPs obviously want to back it. It seems most likely that the Tories (probably with the help of a bunch of Labour MPs) will decide to push through May's deal as the least bad option. God help us if they don't as a No Deal would be catastrophic.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 918
Marinerz93
February 27, 2019, 11:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Question

If we have another referendum and the leave wins again what happens then ? and if we have another referendum and the remain wins would there be another referendum after that ? (best out of 3)

How would another vote (which is looking more likely now)   work? I’m puzzled

If there was another vote and remain won, just like what happened to Ireland, people are now more informed and thus the decision is final and binding. Otherwise we'll keep having vote after vote until all the old racist anti youth voters are out numbered by kids who haven't been born yet.

The day democracy dies is when remain win, it will be catastrophic for every man woman child and gerbil in the UK.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 918
monkeyboy
February 28, 2019, 6:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I dont want another vote unless its the following three options 1. Leave   2 Leave and hang all the politicians for going against the will of the people. 3 Dont remain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 918
FishOutOfWater
February 28, 2019, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
IF there were to be another referendum AND the result was still to leave it would be highly interesting as to what might happen then?

I wonder if there are actually any plans in place to manage an exit or do the "powers that be" think that we'll never leave and so have just pushed this around for the last three years knowing that we would always remain?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 206 - 918
Maringer
February 28, 2019, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Any second referendum would have to specify just what sort of a Brexit we would be voting on. If we're going to leave, it will have to be either May's deal or No deal. Literally no other options on the table or possible. If the electorate were daft enough to vote for a No deal, I'd imagine some politicians would stand down as it would be extremely challenging to deal with things once the crap hits the fan.

I certainly think that most politicians have assumed that there would be another vote on the final deal (Rees Mogg even suggested it would be a good idea), but I think the incompetence we've seen from both of the main parties hasn't been a show. That said, if you were trying to make a balls-up of things deliberately, you'd certainly want the likes of Davies, Raab,  Johnson, Fox etc running the show.

P.S. And just look how we're 'Taking back control':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47400679
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 918
Maringer
March 1, 2019, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hmmm. Interesting if this report is true/comes to pass:

https://www.theguardian.com/po.....it-faces-public-vote

Fundamentally, Labour would say we'll back May's deal to get it through parliament with the proviso it going to a second referendum. This would obviously then be an in/out option with the electorate at least knowing what they are voting for this time around.

Electoral calculus would tend to indicate that Remain would win this time around, but then who knows, because that's what everyone assumed last time?

Of course, this wouldn't settle things for many hard Brexiteers regardless of which way the decision went. Bizarrely, some still seem to think that a No deal Brexit would be for the best despite all evidence to the contrary. They would either be complaining about losing or complaining that we don't have a 'proper' Brexit when the economy takes a hit as anticipated.

Regardless, I'll bet Farage is rubbing his hands with glee - he'll be back centre stage before he knows it and will probably get the chance to fail to be elected as an MP again in any number of seats.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 918
FishOutOfWater
March 1, 2019, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Any second referendum would have to specify just what sort of a Brexit we would be voting on. If we're going to leave, it will have to be either May's deal or No deal. Literally no other options on the table or possible. If the electorate were daft enough to vote for a No deal, I'd imagine some politicians would stand down as it would be extremely challenging to deal with things once the crap hits the fan.

I certainly think that most politicians have assumed that there would be another vote on the final deal (Rees Mogg even suggested it would be a good idea), but I think the incompetence we've seen from both of the main parties hasn't been a show. That said, if you were trying to make a balls-up of things deliberately, you'd certainly want the likes of Davies, Raab,  Johnson, Fox etc running the show.

P.S. And just look how we're 'Taking back control':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47400679

It only came to my attention recently who came up with this slogan - Dominic Cummings

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/01/221871/dominic-cummings-now-2019-brexit

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/perspective/eu-ref-haughton.aspx

Like what he did or not, he very cleverly added the "back" into the initial form of the slogan to make people feel that they were going to be returning to the "good old days" when we ruled the waves etc

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 209 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.