Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 75,937 views. Print
92 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
November 15, 2018, 7:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,211
Gold Stars: 176
He didn't think it was a big vote winner, he thought it would end the squabbling in the Tory party and bring it back together. Going well isn't it?

Still, Brexit means Brexit, take back control, back off Brussels, no more straight bananas and if you don't support it you are a traitor and should be hanged accordingly.

Edit - you're right that Cameron was a smug, arrogant, entitled sharp object. He  carries far more blame than May for this farce as far as I'm concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 918
Rodley Mariner
November 15, 2018, 7:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Anybody think this could actually be the start of the end of the Tory party. I'm not sure I see a way they can come back together to even claim to offer any coherent sort of political offer when so many clearly loathe each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 918
LH
November 15, 2018, 7:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 167
It could well be. Imagine what the coalition of chaos headed by Ed Miliband would have been like if this is strong and stable under May.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 918
Manchester Mariner
November 15, 2018, 10:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,791
Gold Stars: 39
She's absolutely batshit mental to power on with her draft plan which has zero support.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 918
Maringer
November 15, 2018, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,069
Gold Stars: 175
Doesn't really have any choice though, does she?

She's stuck in the job even though she's a dead woman walking, so to speak. Losing the majority in the election which she didn't need to call ended all her authority and left absolutely no wriggle-room in the negotiations, especially as she's surrounded by mediocrities and imbeciles who are all either massively self-serving (Johnson and Gove, especially) or just there marking time until they are moved on. It's a spinning door at the DExEU. As soon as the backstop agreement was signed last year, this 'deal' was the best that could be hoped for outside of a Norway-style deal which, of course, most of the Tory brexiteers wouldn't accept.

If she wasn't so horribly useless and inept (after being the same as Home Secretary), I'd almost feel sorry for her.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 918
Rodley Mariner
November 15, 2018, 10:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
They must all have borderline (or not so borderline) sociopathic tendencies plus huge egos. May is a very wealthy woman in her 60's. If I was in her shoes then halfway through today's commons debacle I'd have said words to the effect of 'intercourse this for a game of soldiers, let's see one of you fornicators do any better' and strolled off to book a holiday.

I am genuinely struggling to see how this plays out. Good old Call me Dave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 918
KingstonMariner
November 15, 2018, 10:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Well what the whole thing beautifully portrays is how well we will do as an independent trading nation negotiating deals with the big powers. Little old Ireland gets one over big, powerful Britain because it's part of a big gang and we're not.

I seem to remember the Brexiteers telling us how we'll get a free trade deal without any of the ties and restrictions. All through the referendum campaign. We can be out but still have the trade benefits because 'they need us'. Well that worked out well, you flipping muppets.

Next up China and the US. That'll go well.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 918
KingstonMariner
November 15, 2018, 11:28pm
Meths Drinker
And the reactions to the deal show the ludicrousness of nationalism.

British Nationalists in northern Ireland are decrying the deal because it puts their province in an advantageous economic position vis a vis the rest of the UK. They'd rather their people were worse off.

The Scottish nationalists are decrying it because they want what Northern Ireland has been given. They don't want those buggers over there to have it if they don't. 'It's not fair' they're crying.

What's the way forward? A population swap? All the SNPers go to Ulster and the Democratic Unionists move to Scotland?

How will English and Welsh nationalists react? (they're probably the same people who march down 'our streets' demanding we stand with our 'brethren' in places like Germany and Flanders* and Holland because we're all Europeans and defend our common culture against the Muslim hoards. But we don't wanna stand too close to our brethren because they want to rule us!

* probably not Wallonia though, because they speak French so they're probably lazy and want to burn our New Zealand lamb.

flipping lunatics the lot of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 918
Maringer
November 16, 2018, 7:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,069
Gold Stars: 175
Regarding the SNP, you can see their viewpoint. Just like Northern Ireland, they voted to remain quite solidly. They are having Brexit forced on them because of the votes of the English and the bribes/reneged promises of the Indyref campaign are still fresh in the memory. Why should the Northern Irish get a better deal than them?

The longer term plan (well, a lot shorter term than anticipated) is, of course another shot at independence for them and, considering the shower of shite blundering around in charge on this side of the border, who can really blame them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 918
KingstonMariner
November 16, 2018, 9:16am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Regarding the SNP, you can see their viewpoint. Just like Northern Ireland, they voted to remain quite solidly. They are having Brexit forced on them because of the votes of the English and the bribes/reneged promises of the Indyref campaign are still fresh in the memory. Why should the Northern Irish get a better deal than them?

The longer term plan (well, a lot shorter term than anticipated) is, of course another shot at independence for them and, considering the shower of shite blundering around in charge on this side of the border, who can really blame them?

Oh I’ve got no brief for or against the deal. I’m just pointing out where nationalism gets you. If Scotland wants what NI has got then why not England and Wales too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 918
92 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.