Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 189 Guests

Conference Reply

This thread currently has 22,778 views. Print
23 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ticker_1610
January 30, 2012, 10:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Last week I was incensed that Darlington were trying to get four players in on loan, 2 from Boro and 2 from Newcastle. I felt it was unfair on clubs that paid their bills and couldn't afford loan players especially Prem/Championship standard. It was unfair on these clubs and compromised the integrity of the league!

Today I received a reply. It stated Darlo have 26 players registered ten of these senior pro's. Why register 26 if they did not feel those players were able to play. Darlo therefore have sufficient players registered to allow them to field a team.

A second reply concerning the potential loans. Stated why allow a club that can't pay existing debts be allowed to accrue more by taking on loan players. The reply also indicated that the league are concerned about the integrity of the league and the affect on other clubs in the league!

I understood this to mean they are concerned about the quality of Free loans of a calibre not available to clubs also struggling but won't rack up debt to bring in loan players, as they can't get Free Prem/Chship ones!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Grantham_Mariner
January 30, 2012, 10:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
I too got a reply from the conference, as follows......

Quoted Text
Darlington FC has 26 players registered all of whom, it is reasonable to assume, are capable of playing in the First Team, otherwise I question why they have been signed by the Club to play in the Football Conference. 26, which includes 10 full-time professionals, and other senior non-contract players, is sufficient to fulfil its obligations.

It would clearly not be prudent to allow the club to recruit more players, increasing its costs, when it is unable to pay its current players. This would be unfair on the present playing staff and unfair on the other clubs in the Competition who are paying their bills.

As for fielding a weakened team, it is not possible to compile or manipulate the fixture list and play only when Darlington FC (or any other club for that matter) is able to field its strongest possible team. The relative strength of every club changes because of injuries, suspensions or just resting players, e.g. Hull v Crawley on Saturday. It is simply impossible to guarantee the strength of each club will remain consistent throughout the season.

The Football Conference

But Darlington believe they are going to be allowed loan players.......

Quoted Text
What we were told on Friday is that we can go one for one. So if one player goes out I can bring one in, which is a little bit of help, although we lost Paul Arnison today," Liddle told the Northern Echo after the Minstermen clash.

Will be interesting to see what happens?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 222
ticker_1610
January 30, 2012, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
I got a further reply when I asked if it was fair Darlo bringing in players of a calibre others couldn't afford n Darlo getting them free! The reply seemed to indicate that firstly Darlo would not be allowed to rack up more debt when they havnt paid existing debt. Secondly the integrity of other clubs who do pay their bills has to be protected. However I get the impression Darlo will manipulate the system or find loopholes!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 222
marinerjase
January 30, 2012, 11:10am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Why worry about what they're doing?? IF we are to get in the play offs then let our results dictate we do, not leave it in the hands of others to decide/dictate. On current form no-one will look forward to playing us, there's enough points left to play for to enable us to guarantee a play off spot, even allowing for a slow first 4 months of the season. Stop looking at others and just concentrate on us.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 222
psgmariner
January 30, 2012, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I can see some of these Darlo youth players getting "injured" soon.

It's a mess all round but them bringing in more players may help us when they play the teams around us.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 222
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 30, 2012, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
yeah, because they shouldnt be able to have players coming in!!!

the only players to be able to play for them are those already registered with the club, or those that are not contracted to another club.
they SHOULD NOT be able to sign players. wether that is on loan or as a free transfer. a whole player EMBARGO should be in force, otherwise, they are making a mockery of the whole system.

I can honestly see this going a lot further than it is already. clubs like Bath, Newport, Hayes and all must be fuming when they see this (and too with kettering) and already have their solicitors on the case.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 222
Trawler
January 30, 2012, 11:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from marinerjase
Why worry about what they're doing?? IF we are to get in the play offs then let our results dictate we do, not leave it in the hands of others to decide/dictate. On current form no-one will look forward to playing us, there's enough points left to play for to enable us to guarantee a play off spot, even allowing for a slow first 4 months of the season. Stop looking at others and just concentrate on us.

Jase - it's the principle for me - if Darlo are operating outside the rules or rules are being bent to keep them alive then in my view the wrong doing should be exposed and they should go - it's fairer to every team in  the Conference. We'll all know where we stand and we can concentrate on what we're doing.  A line will have been drawn in the sand.

I feel sorry for their fans but their team has had one too many reprieves for my liking - while our executive management has played within the rules, done everything to avoid admin and racked up huge debts doing so.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 222
marinerjase
January 30, 2012, 11:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Fair do's mate..what will be ..will be

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 222
ticker_1610
January 30, 2012, 11:28am
Whiskey Drinker
I had my say after someone posted the conf contact details. We shouldn't have to face Darlo with them fielding Chship/Prem loan players, York didn't have to n Darlo did enough with what they've got to earn a draw. I respect Darlo for grinding that result out n that's demonstrated they don't need an influx of quality players others can't have or afford! It's purely on principle of fairness I complained to the conf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 222
twitterman
January 30, 2012, 11:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
In the end no matter what the Conference are doing we've still got to win the fixtures to get as far up the table as we can this season.Complaining about what other clubs are doing is clutching at straws in my opinion as nothing can be done about it so lets up all our unused banter sod thats going on and get behind Town
TBH complaining about it to the Conference is llike pi$$ing in the wind and trying to catch it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 222
23 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.