Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 30 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,342 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
theicenian
July 27, 2010, 1:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
April 26 1960, a Tuesday evening, Town at home to Southampton who had just achieved promotion to Div 2 while Town had flattered to deceive and would finish 4th.

Southampton had Terry Paine, England winger and record appearance maker to be. They also had a centre forward called Derek Reeves who scored 40 odd goals that season including all 5 in the League Cup when they beat Leeds 5-4. Also playing for Southampton that night was a lad called Brian Clifton who quite a few may know. I was in the open corner between the Osmond and the Barrett, next to the old Boys' Paddock.

I can't remember the sequence of scoring but I do remember Alan Barnett saved a penalty. Then there was a goal which will always be the best I've seen at Blundell Park. Don Donovan at right back picked the ball up on halfway and chipped a ball perfectly over a defender to Johnny Scott on the touchline. Scott being Scott he waited for the defender to turn round and run back in front of him before leaving him on his backside and looked up. He put the most accurate cross I've ever seen, between the penalty spot and the 6 yard box, and Ralph Hunt steamed in from the edge of the area and headed it like a bullet just under the bar. There were 11,000+ in the ground for this meaningless league game that night and they simply erupted.

Hunt scored 33 goals in 39 games that season. Rafferty got 24 in 46 games and Scott 14 in 45 matches.

Oh my heavens,that is a memory.     20 goals a season eh,mmmm.

Whenever these threads come up always the image of Ron hitting that one from the halfway line which if it hadn't gone in would have killed hundreds behind the goal springs to mind.  I cannot even remember who it was against but he then became Rocket Ron and was greeted by shouts of shoot every time he got the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 352
Les Brechin
July 27, 2010, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
When we were going well in what's now The Championship, on a winning run, maybe with Dave Beasant still on loan. Think we went one down, equalised fairly late and Mendonca scored the winner from miles out in the last minute, with the help of a massive deflection in front of the Ponny, which went mental.

West Ham IIRC.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 352
Rodley Mariner
July 27, 2010, 2:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Les Brechin

West Ham IIRC.

I'm thinking Bristol City?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 352
grimsby pete
July 27, 2010, 2:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The one thing that sticks out in my memory is when we played Norwich in the early 60's,

Some idiot threw a bottle on the pitch and their winger threw it back into the crowd, hitting a young lad standing in the barrett stand,

The crowd went mad as you can imagine plus the poor lad was a Norwich supporter.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 352
alvinghammariner
July 27, 2010, 2:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Quoted from excusebeef
Alan Buckley's reaction to the "perfect" team goal when we played Palace at home 98/99. Culminating in a Coldicott chest down for Widdrington to volley from edge of the box.

The famous "hop hop diop" chant to the injured Wrexham man Diop a few seasons back

The skanky old guy with the black and white striped hair in the pontoon who always rants nicking my hot chocolate flask and drinking it all....male private!

Martin pringles leg break right in fron of me in the Lower Smiths and the ref bottles it and gives Challinor a yellow but later realises his mistake and send Palmer off instead.

Turning up at Millmoor when the match was at Don Valley.Such a mammary!!!

Unfortunately I remember the Pringle leg break well, sat in the Lower smiths, not pleasant.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 352
Les Brechin
July 27, 2010, 2:12pm

Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm thinking Bristol City?

It was yeah. I think Mendonca scored a similar long range effort a couple of games earlier when we drew with West Ham.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 352
Little Mariner
July 27, 2010, 2:13pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / 0
West Ham I'm sure

And Hop Hop Diop was Kidderminster

You fill up my senses
Like a barrell of Tetley's
Like a  packet of woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Nunsthorpe
Like a greasy chip butty
Like the Super Black and Whites
Come fill me again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 352
voice of reason
July 27, 2010, 2:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Couple of randoms for me... The first we where playing Norwich at home and went 2-0 up they pulled 1 back and then got the equaliser in the 5th min of stoppage time out of the three tops that should have been allowed... I remember it because as the Norwich player was getting closer town was backing off and I was screaming at Handyside (I think) to close him down, well whoever it was didn't close him down and the Norwich player got to about 20 yards out and curld it into the top corner... I was fuming, I had just got to BP in time for kick off after getting my foot plastered, I had broken it in a drunken stuper the night before... Come to think of it, it might have made it 3-2 to them, either way I remember the goal if nothing else..

The second was a burst of pace from our manager, Mr Woods. I think it sticks out because it was the only time I had seen any pace from him... He got the ball layed off to him in the centre circle burst onto the pass, jinked round 2 players and was through on goal with just the GK to beat, he pulled the trigger near the edge of the box and I can't remember but think it went way over the bar or hit the bar... Anyway good bit of skill and pace from the carthorse...

God my memory is shocking... what am I going to be like when I reach the ripe old age of the Icey man...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 352
Rodley Mariner
July 27, 2010, 2:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Little Mariner
West Ham I'm sure

The game I'm thinking of was Bristol City - think Andy Cole might've scored their goal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 352
Les Brechin
July 27, 2010, 2:29pm

Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Anyone recall when we played Swindon at home in the 79-80 season?

It was a top of the table challenge, a really tight game at 0-0 in the second half, when one of their players dived across the goal to "save" a certain goal...instead of us getting a penalty though, the ref gave a corner, assuming the save must have been made by their keeper?

The outrage at the decision was over-turned about 30 seconds later though when we scored from the corner (can't remember who it was - we had a good routine on corners back then)

Justice was done and then to finally see their challenge off, in the last minute or so Tony Ford got the second

I look back on that game and think maybe because we stuck to our task in the face of an appalling decision against one of our promotion rivals, that spurred us on to take us up as the champions a couple of months later

Nostalgia eh...it ain't what it used to be!  

That was the same season that both us and Swindon had great League Cup runs. We lost in the quarter-finals to Wolves and I think Swindon actually got to the semi-finals that same season.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 352
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.