Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Random Memories.

This thread currently has 36,345 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
STB
July 27, 2010, 12:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
4-0 victory over Sheff U to win the league in May 1980, apart from a few false dawns, its been downhill since then!

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 352
BIGChris
July 27, 2010, 1:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Some of those mentioned above relate to huge triumphs but in keeping with the random thread i'd go for

Town beating Peterborough 3-2 near the end of the 71-72 season. It was the featured game on Anglia TV. I think we were 2-0 down. Neil freeman in goal (?) and if my memory serves me right Dave Worthington scored that dayfrom the edge of the box at the Pontoon end?

Oldfootbaler may be able to confirm?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 352
Les Brechin
July 27, 2010, 1:14pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,690
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from BIGChris
Some of those mentioned above relate to huge triumphs but in keeping with the random thread i'd go for

Town beating Peterborough 3-2 near the end of the 71-72 season. It was the featured game on Anglia TV. I think we were 2-0 down. Neil freeman in goal (?) and if my memory serves me right Dave Worthington scored that dayfrom the edge of the box at the Pontoon end?

Oldfootbaler may be able to confirm?

That's what I'm really after Chris. Not any memories of games that clinched us promotion or got us to Wembley just one particular game that wasn't really that huge.

Another memory of mine is when we won 2-1 at Plymouth when Super Clive scored his first ever goal for us and 100 or so Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain around the away end.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 352
Marinerz93
July 27, 2010, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
There are so many great and picture perfect memories of Town players scoring against great teams or putting away important goals.  I have a few that I hold dear

1.  John Cockerill handing out leaflets on a cold and wet winters night trying to raise support for the Mariners who were 4th from bottom in what is now League 2.

2.  Mendonca in tears as he played his final game for us at BP.

3.  Loads of Town fans hugging Woods when we got relegated at Burton.

2 & 3 almost had me in tears and 1 gives me the heart to carry on following this great club.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 352
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 27, 2010, 1:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
April 26 1960, a Tuesday evening, Town at home to Southampton who had just achieved promotion to Div 2 while Town had flattered to deceive and would finish 4th.

Southampton had Terry Paine, England winger and record appearance maker to be. They also had a centre forward called Derek Reeves who scored 40 odd goals that season including all 5 in the League Cup when they beat Leeds 5-4. Also playing for Southampton that night was a lad called Brian Clifton who quite a few may know. I was in the open corner between the Osmond and the Barrett, next to the old Boys' Paddock.

I can't remember the sequence of scoring but I do remember Alan Barnett saved a penalty. Then there was a goal which will always be the best I've seen at Blundell Park. Don Donovan at right back picked the ball up on halfway and chipped a ball perfectly over a defender to Johnny Scott on the touchline. Scott being Scott he waited for the defender to turn round and run back in front of him before leaving him on his backside and looked up. He put the most accurate cross I've ever seen, between the penalty spot and the 6 yard box, and Ralph Hunt steamed in from the edge of the area and headed it like a bullet just under the bar. There were 11,000+ in the ground for this meaningless league game that night and they simply erupted.

Hunt scored 33 goals in 39 games that season. Rafferty got 24 in 46 games and Scott 14 in 45 matches.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 352
Rodley Mariner
July 27, 2010, 1:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
When we were going well in what's now The Championship, on a winning run, maybe with Dave Beasant still on loan. Think we went one down, equalised fairly late and Mendonca scored the winner from miles out in the last minute, with the help of a massive deflection in front of the Ponny, which went mental.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 352
Roast Em Bobby
July 27, 2010, 1:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
winning away at leicester (at filbert street) to stay up, two whymark goals if my memory serves me correctly, all the players coming over to the town fans in the corner at the end, seeing my normally restrained dad going as crazy as me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 352
FishOutOfWater
July 27, 2010, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Anyone recall when we played Swindon at home in the 79-80 season?

It was a top of the table challenge, a really tight game at 0-0 in the second half, when one of their players dived across the goal to "save" a certain goal...instead of us getting a penalty though, the ref gave a corner, assuming the save must have been made by their keeper?

The outrage at the decision was over-turned about 30 seconds later though when we scored from the corner (can't remember who it was - we had a good routine on corners back then)

Justice was done and then to finally see their challenge off, in the last minute or so Tony Ford got the second

I look back on that game and think maybe because we stuck to our task in the face of an appalling decision against one of our promotion rivals, that spurred us on to take us up as the champions a couple of months later

Nostalgia eh...it ain't what it used to be!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 352
excusebeef
July 27, 2010, 1:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
Alan Buckley's reaction to the "perfect" team goal when we played Palace at home 98/99. Culminating in a Coldicott chest down for Widdrington to volley from edge of the box.

The famous "hop hop diop" chant to the injured Wrexham man Diop a few seasons back

The skanky old guy with the black and white striped hair in the pontoon who always rants nicking my hot chocolate flask and drinking it all....male private!

Martin pringles leg break right in fron of me in the Lower Smiths and the ref bottles it and gives Challinor a yellow but later realises his mistake and send Palmer off instead.

Turning up at Millmoor when the match was at Don Valley.Such a mammary!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 352
FishOutOfWater
July 27, 2010, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
winning away at leicester (at filbert street) to stay up, two whymark goals if my memory serves me correctly, all the players coming over to the town fans in the corner at the end, seeing my normally restrained dad going as crazy as me.

Remember that really well...think there was a heart stopping moment in the second half where everyone stopped for an offside that wasn't given and their guy just had to beat Batchy with no-one around but messed it up and we clung on to our 2-1 lead till the end

I actually had a friend come along with me at that game who some years later went on to join Scunny's board of directors and even he was jumping up and down cheering our success in avoiding the drop  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 352
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Random Memories.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.