Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,206 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
October 16, 2023, 11:01am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't buy that excuse. There were 3.5 months between last season ending and the summer window closing, so for it to boil down to someone letting us down at the last minute doesn't wash with me.

So you are calling PH a liar?  And BTW, how many of those 3.5 months was the transfer window open, you didn't actually mention that.
Reply: 170 - 297
ska face
October 16, 2023, 11:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Right this is my last post on the issue but something that’s been boiling my píss for months now. No idea what he’s like on the training ground but Hurst is so reluctant to praise players publicly it’s ridiculous.

Mcatee had it in the conference & I can remember Conteh getting the same at the start of this season after a really good performance Tondeur was really positive about him then Hurst turns round and says “thought he did ok, needs to improve on x, y, z…” rather than just say yeah, he did really well. He’ll go out of his way to argue with anyone praising a player after having a really good game, and start talking about someone else who chased a ball down or did a decent throw in or something equally trivial.

So when players are low on confidence, maybe take the opportunities to build them up when you have them rather than always needling them and knocking them down thinking you might get another 5 or 10% the next week. Not everything needs to be a mind game.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 297
jamesgtfc
October 16, 2023, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614

So you are calling PH a liar?  And BTW, how many of those 3.5 months was the transfer window open, you didn't actually mention that.

No, I'm saying there was loads of time to get someone in. The transfer window opens on 1st July but that doesn't stop you talking to players or announcing signings. Danny Rose was announced on 8th June for example, and you can lawfully talk to out of contract players during the last 6 weeks of their contract.

When the window opens is irrelevant, between the last game and shutting of the summer window was 3.5 months, so it is not acceptable to say we didn't get a left back in because the one we wanted let us down at the last minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 297
October 16, 2023, 11:18am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

No, I'm saying there was loads of time to get someone in. The transfer window opens on 1st July but that doesn't stop you talking to players or announcing signings. Danny Rose was announced on 8th June for example, and you can lawfully talk to out of contract players during the last 6 weeks of their contract.

When the window opens is irrelevant, between the last game and shutting of the summer window was 3.5 months, so it is not acceptable to say we didn't get a left back in because the one we wanted let us down at the last minute.

But it absolutely is.  And if you can't see that, then I can't help you.

Reply: 173 - 297
jamesgtfc
October 16, 2023, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614

But it absolutely is.  And if you can't see that, then I can't help you.

No, it isn't. With Crocombe rejecting our offer of a deal in the summer and Battersby being released, would it have been perfectly acceptable to not sign a goalkeeper because David De Gea let us down at 22:50 on Friday 1st September?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 297
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
The window was open for exactly the same amount of time for all clubs.  If it was open for 100 days or 100 minutes, it's irrelevant.  

Other clubs managed to presumably sort out a glaring issue in a key position, why did we wait until the last minute to sort out the left-back slot that had proved to be a problem for the previous 24 months?
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 297
October 16, 2023, 11:44am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

No, it isn't. With Crocombe rejecting our offer of a deal in the summer and Battersby being released, would it have been perfectly acceptable to not sign a goalkeeper because David De Gea let us down at 22:50 on Friday 1st September?

If we was et down at the last minute, how the hell would we be able to try and sign another player, get the paperwork done etc. all before the window closes?  Don't you think that by the last minute, all other LBs would probably have got a deal signed sealed and delivered by then?  I really do not understand how people think it's so easy to go out and sign a specific player at the drop of a hat.

Reply: 176 - 297
mariner91
October 16, 2023, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Jesus Christ, here we go again. The point being made is that given he so clearly doesn’t rate or trust either of his two left backs and that the left side had been increasingly targeted towards the end of last season, he should never have let it get to a situation where it all rested on a player signing at the last minute. He had three months to sort it out, he didn’t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 297
October 16, 2023, 12:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91
Jesus Christ, here we go again. The point being made is that given he so clearly doesn’t rate or trust either of his two left backs and that the left side had been increasingly targeted towards the end of last season, he should never have let it get to a situation where it all rested on a player signing at the last minute. He had three months to sort it out, he didn’t.

So tell me this, how hard did he try, how many LBs did he talk to, how many turned him down, how many didn't want to play in Cleethorpes, how many wanted more money than he could give them, I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

Reply: 178 - 297
mariner91
October 16, 2023, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
No clue but it isn’t the point. He needed to sign a competent L2 left back, not the next Roberto Carlos. He failed to and as such we have a big weakness down that side. That is on Hurst, regardless of when he was turned down or how many he spoke to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.