Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,190 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
come_on_town
October 14, 2023, 9:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete
Sorry Paul you have got to go.

It's not just this season all last season home games bar one of two were dreadful.

Fans need to be entertained you have had vastly increased gates and more money and we are no better.

We are not improving from one window to the next so Jason stick to your word and let Hurst go.

I really wanted to read all 7 pages of this thread before posting but this post should sum it up for season ticket holders, let alone the poor souls fighting for a ticket. Last season AT HOME was crap (barring FA Cup). We at least had a half decent away record with a decent day out where we picked up points!
This season however….biggest budget by a country mile for years, even to come, we don’t look improved and as for the way we have been setting up. We field a team that plays exactly as a Hurst interview. Dreary, monotonous and void of any ambition! Too many people have blown smoke up the blokes bottom. We’ve had brilliant times but also a massive amount of lows.
Every transfer window we seem to have a good shuffle around. Yes PH has an eye for a talent but his stubbornness stops that talent playing to any of his strengths within a few games. It’s not just the manager but we have team of 5 first team coaches that all have played defensive positions all their careers yet we leak goals? Let alone an attack minded style of play. I don’t have a magic wand, wish I had an answer but it’s beyond me where we can from here. We have decent players for this division but not playing to strengths. Do Jason and Andrew enough contacts to make the call and get in the building what’s needed?

Time will tell….All town are we! UTM
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 297
spuggybridge
October 14, 2023, 9:27pm
Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from come_on_town

I really wanted to read all 7 pages of this thread before posting but this post should sum it up for season ticket holders, let alone the poor souls fighting for a ticket. Last season AT HOME was crap (barring FA Cup). We at least had a half decent away record with a decent day out where we picked up points!
This season however….biggest budget by a country mile for years, even to come, we don’t look improved and as for the way we have been setting up. We field a team that plays exactly as a Hurst interview. Dreary, monotonous and void of any ambition! Too many people have blown smoke up the blokes bottom. We’ve had brilliant times but also a massive amount of lows.
Every transfer window we seem to have a good shuffle around. Yes PH has an eye for a talent but his stubbornness stops that talent playing to any of his strengths within a few games. It’s not just the manager but we have team of 5 first team coaches that all have played defensive positions all their careers yet we leak goals? Let alone an attack minded style of play. I don’t have a magic wand, wish I had an answer but it’s beyond me where we can from here. We have decent players for this division but not playing to strengths. Do Jason and Andrew enough contacts to make the call and get in the building what’s needed?

Time will tell….All town are we! UTM

Seems to me that when we played in the FA Cup run (especially at home), PH let the reigns off of the players and went with a completely attacking style (hence the 5-1 agains Plymouth and 3-0 Luton), so why not do that now instead of one up front and being too scared to lose, at this moment in time it may be the only option ??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 297
come_on_town
October 14, 2023, 9:38pm
Coke Drinker
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from spuggybridge

Seems to me that when we played in the FA Cup run (especially at home), PH let the reigns off of the players and went with a completely attacking style (hence the 5-1 agains Plymouth and 3-0 Luton), so why not do that now instead of one up front and being too scared to lose, at this moment in time it may be the only option ??

Fully agree but what do we know as fellow Coke drinkers ha ha
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 297
diehardmariner
October 14, 2023, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
A Paul Hurst side is hard to play against, defensively resillient and will die for each other on the pitch. I don't see any of the traits in this team.

I honestly need more time to measure my thoughts tonight and articulate them properly.

I'm numb. Just numb from that display. The above quote goes some way to how I'm feeling. I'm at the point of wanting to leave games with some sort of pride. Be it in our effort, our style, anything.

I've dipped into anger with Hurst all evening and since the afternoon. But the players are within that train of thought too. There was some seriously half-arsed, going through the motion displays there. The manager is responsible for motivating and getting the best out of players, which he clearly isn't. But professional pride kicks in at some point.

That so many left early saved Hurst and the team a very hostile and vocal exit from the pitch.  I fear the voting will be done with feet for the Colchester game.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 297
Vance Warner
October 14, 2023, 10:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
Don’t think there’s any way Hurst will be sacked before the end of the month and he shouldn’t be either in my opinion. However, if he was sacked would his critics be so happy they became happy clappers? Or would they still be miserable and moan about the next manager whilst finding other childish insults to throw at anyone that disagreed with them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 297
Poojah
October 14, 2023, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,754
Gold Stars: 1,509
Tough day today. I like to think of myself not as a happy clapper, but as someone who is objective and rational in the moment, rather than letting raw emotions get the better of me.

I also consider myself a huge fan of Paul Hurst. In my 30+ years following Town, he is comfortably the second best manager we’ve had at the helm. I am eternally grateful for the memories he has given us at Wembley, Meadow Lane, the Racecourse, London Stadium, St Mary’s, and even the Amex.

So much so, having begun to read this before I set off back to Leeds tonight, I spent the whole journey home trying to come up with a robust, logic and evidence-based counter-argument. Here’s what I came up with.

Nothing. I came up with nothing. Today was up there with the kind of gutless and lacklustre performances we’ve seen in the worst of Bignot, Slade and Holloway’s reigns. Only expectations are higher now. And rightly so, because the prevailing circumstances are so much better for the manager than they were back then.

Of course, it cant be forgotten this is in no small part due to Hurst’s own good work. Where would we be today if we hadn’t got out of the National League at the first attempt? What would our playing budget have looked like if we hadn’t reached the quarter final of the FA Cup?

But herein lies the rub. Of all the reasons I could fathom as to why Hurst should remain in the dugout, 100% were based on past events. And that’s not completely devoid of logic. Sometimes the past holds clues to what might happen in the future.

But that can work both ways. Graham Rodger, new in the job in 2006, was sacked after 17 games with a PPG of 0.94. I don’t think anyone disagreed with the decision. Marcus Bignot, remembered as being calamitously inept, was sacked with a record of 1.26. Russell Slade, the infernal Russell Slade, was sacked with a PPG of 1.09 that season.

Hurst, with everything going for him that the aforementioned didn’t have, is currently on 1.08. Forget for a moment that the entertainment value has been poor, remove all subjectivity, the cold, hard numbers tell us that he is well and truly within sacking territory.

The question then becomes one of: how long do you allow a manager to dine out on yesterday’s achievements?

I don’t know the answer to that. I know what I hope. I hope Hurst gets another game. I hope we beat Stockport on their own patch next Saturday. I hope that we then kick on to the extent that in a few months’ time every dissenting voice in this thread, my own included, looks profoundly foolish.

But I see no evidence, in the present, that this will happen. If, on Monday, news breaks that Hurst has left the club, I will be surprisingly unsurprised.

I will say this, though. Should that transpire, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it just might, it can be both the right decision and a sad day.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 297
Bawmariner
October 14, 2023, 10:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
I'm not sure where I stand on Hurst currently. We've been very frustrating to watch so far this season. We seem to be able to go toe to toe with most of the teams in the division but there constantly seems to be a missing killer touch or even an ability to pick a simple pass. I disagree with some on here that the players aren't working for Hurst. I don't think effort is an issue. We seem to be out working teams but we lack shape and players don't appear to know where their team meets are or should be.

We were the better team for most of the match today. Around the 35th min I could tell that we would likely lose though. We had the wind in the first half and we didn't take our opportunities and also didn't create as many opportunities as we should have.

I'm sure Stockwood will understand the mood around the club. If Hurst has lost the dressing room then he should go. I feel like we aren't that far from being a good team. We press teams well and win the ball back but constantly give the ball away too cheaply. Can Hurst solve that?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 297
jamesgtfc
October 14, 2023, 11:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
If Hurst has lost the dressing room, why has he lost it? I think if that is the case, it is important for the board to know why in their decision-making.

Having 2 fit LBs and playing your second choice RB at LB could quite easily rock the boat and that would be quite a careless move. I do accept though that neither started the season greatly but Hurst decided not to do any transfer business at LB.

Doig was apparently a problem at Ipswich and Hurst fell on his sword standing by him. If Doig (or any of the other coaches) are causing a problem, I think it would be fair to give Hurst the opportunity to resolve that problem.

Whatever the problem is, does Hurst acknowledge it and have a genuine plan as to how he puts it right? At this level, it's very hard to deal with bad eggs outside of August and January. I think we are woefully light at CB and the stats without Maher starting tell their own story.

Stockport next is probably the worst possible game, but that could also be the game we turn things around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 297
October 14, 2023, 11:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc
If Hurst has lost the dressing room, why has he lost it? I think if that is the case, it is important for the board to know why in their decision-making.

Having 2 fit LBs and playing your second choice RB at LB could quite easily rock the boat and that would be quite a careless move. I do accept though that neither started the season greatly but Hurst decided not to do any transfer business at LB.

Doig was apparently a problem at Ipswich and Hurst fell on his sword standing by him. If Doig (or any of the other coaches) are causing a problem, I think it would be fair to give Hurst the opportunity to resolve that problem.

Whatever the problem is, does Hurst acknowledge it and have a genuine plan as to how he puts it right? At this level, it's very hard to deal with bad eggs outside of August and January. I think we are woefully light at CB and the stats without Maher starting tell their own story.

Stockport next is probably the worst possible game, but that could also be the game we turn things around.

If you are going to criticise the manager, please get your facts right.  Amos was injured and Glennon was unavailable due to personal reasons.

Reply: 98 - 297
jamesgtfc
October 14, 2023, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614

If you are going to criticise the manager, please get your facts right.  Amos was injured and Glennon was unavailable due to personal reasons.

Is that why they were both on the bench for a couple of the games Efete played LB?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 297
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.