Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 25,955 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
AncientExiledMariner
October 23, 2023, 12:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ska face

Wasn’t the good run, or run of easier fixtures, supposed to start with Crawley? Or Tranmere? Or Accrington? It’s just kicking the can down the road every week. We’ve got Donny on Saturday and they’ve won 6 of their last 9.

I don't remember anyone said Crawley at the time, as they were performing quite well. Accrington are in the play-offs. The amount of disrespect I've seen of them on here, yet they are a team that's been in league 1 last year. We are a team that just over a year ago was a conference team, and just over 2 years ago, got relegated from league 2. Whether we like to admit it or not, are a team we need to earn the right to be promoted. We aren't a championship team any more. We cannot just rock up and print out our 3 points. We have to prove we are better. After the last 15 years or so, I fail to see how we're so entitled to just walk league 2 teams. We all want to be in league 1, but we have to build a basis and earn our right to it. Cannot just fire a manager and because we're Grimsby Town, walk into it.

Tranmere was a winnable game, and it was a real kick in the teeth.

I think it's pretty clear confidence is low right now and that starting run took it's toll. Rodgers and Conteh haven't been as strong as they were at the start for example. We need to now up our level to start turning these winnable matches into points. No matches are played on paper, so it's about about where both teams are on the day.

I think focus should be on Colchester, get a result, then deal with Donny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 260 - 297
Davec
October 23, 2023, 5:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from ginnywings

As I have said before, it's not our decision to make.

Depends on how the board view things and whether they still see good signs despite the results, as JS mentioned in this article he did.

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....d-at-a-football-club

Not saying I agree, or disagree for that matter, but the board have a long term plan, and it's entirely down to them where and how they see us right now, and for the rest of the season.

I think everybody is aware it is not our decision to make, but this a forum, it is a place where we discuss our opinions regardless if it is our decision to make or not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 261 - 297
GibMariner
October 23, 2023, 7:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
That’s the proverbial vote of confidence then

Private Message
Reply: 262 - 297
Poojah
October 23, 2023, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GibMariner
That’s the proverbial vote of confidence then

In June!?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 263 - 297
lew chaterleys lover
October 23, 2023, 8:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Incremental improvements. Now there is a phrase we hear a lot, and seems to be the mantra of the owners.

I think they have backed the wrong horse if they expect Hurst to provide Incremental improvement on the playing side. In fact I would go as far as to say Hurst is the last manager I would think of.

Incremental improvement is obtained by slowly and methodically improving a side over time; coaching them to improve in the system preferred by the manager and bringing out the best in players. It involves replacing any weakness in the team with better quality and integrating them into a way of playing that the others trust and know inside out.

Hurst is the opposite of that isn't he? Boom or bust, changing personell en masse, no set way of playing and very few players seem to improve under his coaching but are just moved on ready for the next batch to arrive.

This must be on the owners minds when they consider everything on whether to act.
Private Message
Reply: 264 - 297
DB
October 23, 2023, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ginnywings

As I have said before, it's not our decision to make.

Depends on how the board view things and whether they still see good signs despite the results, as JS mentioned in this article he did.

Not saying I agree, or disagree for that matter, but the board have a long term plan, and it's entirely down to them where and how they see us right now, and for the rest of the season.

I agree that the board has a long term plan and that considering all of them were 'Non-FootBall' people they have done very well indeed for the club. I do not believe that relegation or even a relegation battle is part of the plan for League 2. Sometime now or in the future Hurst will leave/ be sacked. It's the nature of football management. Regrettably I'd prefer now.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 265 - 297
diehardmariner
October 23, 2023, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Whilst that article is old, it does raise an interesting point.

System 1 thinking would definitely suggest sacking Hurst.  At face value.  It's excrement, we're excrement to watch and we look like we're only getting shitter.

System 2 thinking probably saved Hurst two years ago, the data said we were doing ok.  I think looking back at the time it was probably fair to say that was the case, other than the points haul.  We weren't playing awful but we just couldn't buy a win (or a draw!).  But this time, I'm less sure.  I'm not sure what 1878 would be looking at but I can't imagine that, even if using a heavy dosage of confirmation bias, it would be easy to find stats to suggest that things are going well at the minute.  

Really good points made about at what point is too late? Genuinely feels like we're sleepwalking into a relegation scrap, but we're also at real risk of getting cut adrift from everyone else.  The bottom 3 are in terrible form, like us.  But Tranmere are picking up and will be comfortable as hell under Adkins, MK Dons have got the quality in their squad and I expect will improve under Williamson.  Even FGR boosted their confidence with a 5-0 win over Colchester, which in turn is going to bring about a change of management in Essex.  
Private Message
Reply: 266 - 297
Hagrid
October 23, 2023, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from diehardmariner
Whilst that article is old, it does raise an interesting point.

System 1 thinking would definitely suggest sacking Hurst.  At face value.  It's excrement, we're excrement to watch and we look like we're only getting shitter.

System 2 thinking probably saved Hurst two years ago, the data said we were doing ok.  I think looking back at the time it was probably fair to say that was the case, other than the points haul.  We weren't playing awful but we just couldn't buy a win (or a draw!).  But this time, I'm less sure.  I'm not sure what 1878 would be looking at but I can't imagine that, even if using a heavy dosage of confirmation bias, it would be easy to find stats to suggest that things are going well at the minute.  

Really good points made about at what point is too late? Genuinely feels like we're sleepwalking into a relegation scrap, but we're also at real risk of getting cut adrift from everyone else.  The bottom 3 are in terrible form, like us.  But Tranmere are picking up and will be comfortable as hell under Adkins, MK Dons have got the quality in their squad and I expect will improve under Williamson.  Even FGR boosted their confidence with a 5-0 win over Colchester, which in turn is going to bring about a change of management in Essex.  

erm are they??? they lost again over the weekend and have lost 3 in a row
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 267 - 297
Rick12
October 23, 2023, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Good luck Hurst for tomorrow night. Don't like to see anyone fail in life and I hope he can pull it around starting with a win tomorrow.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 268 - 297
diehardmariner
October 23, 2023, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Hagrid

erm are they??? they lost again over the weekend and have lost 3 in a row

Correct.

Should have said 'will pick up'.
Private Message
Reply: 269 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.