Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,233 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
October 15, 2023, 7:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from marinerjase
A few weeks/hours pondering on the Paul Hurst thing..yes, weeks..because it just hasn’t looked right this season for me, from the get go. There’s something not quite right, or working..or both..

I always try to be balanced on things, not over react or look at things from one view point, take time to reflect and then come to a view of my own whilst understanding others. Always admired Hurst, always liked him as a person, so I’ve no time for name calling, abuse etc - that does my head in ..it’s unnecessary, pathetic and juvenile. And whilst he’s manager I’d never go to a game and call for him to go etc..I won’t next weekend if he’s still around..I’ll applaud in support and hope somehow it can be turned around.

He’s had nigh on a decade at our club, some going..particularly the first spell working under he who shall not be named..I’ll always maintain that was an achievement in itself..6 years or so ..regardless of results/achievements, merely sticking it out..most won’t appreciate the working conditions at that time..so just for that he has my respect. I’ve admired his stubbornness ..granted it can at times work both ways, favourably and not so, and as we’ve seen/know..not always great in developing relationship with support. I admire his tenacity, pursuit of wanting better, dry sense of humour..and until recent times I’ve always said ‘right man..at the right club..at the right time..’

Sadly, and it’s not something I like seeing or saying, for some of the aforementioned reasons above..I think it’s come to a time where at least questions have to be asked.  He’s been backed with funds (as much as could be..would be silly to try to compete with others on that front) , I’m understanding recent relative ‘success’..promotion, FA cup run etc..and the supposed aims and ambitions, or ‘project’..

But this season hasn’t worked out from the start imho, there doesn’t seem to be any method of approach, the team look lethargic/flat, devoid of confidence, the football as such is largely aimless, there’s a fragility about the side, and if I’m being honest, I’ve seen enough football over the years to see and know somethings not right. Yes there’s been the odd result here and there..but in general nothings happening..and then you start looking at what’s being done to change, better, adapt, improve, get out of the mistakes ..and I’m seeing players being used out of position, some not utilised, some included when seriously out of form, and the same ‘tactics’ employed..

As said not based on yesterday, but in general from the off - imo this has the feel of a side in trouble, and that’s why questions need to be asked.

Whether that be privately today discussions are made, questions asked, be it between owners/manager, collectively with players and address what isn’t working/why. Think it needs addressing sooner rather than later, in whatever way - for the greater good. If that concludes with manager going - or it’s a general kick up the bottom for all..then it needs doing now.

But whether hurst stays or goes..nothing is gained from hurling abuse, getting personal..insults..etc. Saw all that with Groves years ago, toxic and not pleasant to witness.

By all means not an issue with opinions being known, voices heard etc - but there’s ways and means of doing it in a classier way, and regardless of personal opinions on someone - end of the day it’s a bloke who’s just doing his best. If it doesn’t work out no one will feel it more than themselves.

gold star from me, superb post, I was going 'yup, yup, agree, spot on' all the way through
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 297
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

I think we signed a few players on multi-year deals when we were in the conference. What may have seemed right then, may not seem right now.

When you sign a young player, you're not buying the finished article, you're buying potential. The question you ask down the line is, was that potential realised, and will that potential be realised? When you get to that point, you're left with the question, does that player give us enough on current ability to justify their place in the squad and on the wage budget. Sometimes you cannot buy new players in until that space in the budget has been freed up. You can only free that budget up mid-contract if a team is willing to take that player on full wages.

When we renewed Waterfall, or signed Glennon, we didn't see exactly where they'd be now, or what their form could become. No-one can read the future. You just got to deal with changing events when they happen.

Hunt was signed after we got promoted.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 297
AncientExiledMariner
October 15, 2023, 8:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hunt was signed after we got promoted.

Ok. I stand corrected on that, but it doesn't change the overall point on what I said.

Hunt was tearing up trees in the conference alongside Fox for sure. I don't think he's quite reached the level many would have anticipated he was capable of. It's a shame really, but that is football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 297
1mickylyons
October 15, 2023, 8:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Wonder how we all react differently at games,
.Yesterday the vast majority got up and left muttering amongst themselves. I contented myself with  patting a mate on the shoulder and saying Hurst Out everybody around him nodded.Two guys in front of me one handed is pal a season ticket and said I'm not coming till he's sacked The disgruntled punters heading towards Sydney Park where angry at the tactics. I came on here and have to say mostly the posts were balanced but the support for PH is now minimal  even on here.PH normally pulls a result out the bag but a win at Stockport looks unlikely. A decent Town away following next week if we go an early goal down I suspect it could turn very nasty? If he is to go I suspect it will be tomorrow if he's still here on Tuesday he's going nowhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 297
GhostDan
October 15, 2023, 8:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12

Ok. I stand corrected on that, but it doesn't change the overall point on what I said.

Hunt was tearing up trees in the conference alongside Fox for sure. I don't think he's quite reached the level many would have anticipated he was capable of. It's a shame really, but that is football.

He’s not been given a chance - not playing for probably 6 weeks, then getting thrown in away at Swindon, without your best CM alongside him is not a chance.  He was brought off at halftime I think, and hasn’t been seen since.

I am not quite Hurst out at the moment but a huge source of my frustration this season is 3/4 players in the current 11 who have free reign to play as badly as they like and will never ever come out of the side.  I’ve been critical of both Holohan and Efete on here but both have played well in recent weeks, but find themselves out the side to players who’ve shown little.    

Clifton has been massively off the boil this season, his performance on Saturday was painful to watch - but he will always play. Whereas Hunt (and Holohan) on the other hand is cast aside at any opportunity, if he’s not good enough that’s fine - but he deserves a run of 6/7 games for us to find that out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 297
AncientExiledMariner
October 15, 2023, 8:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GhostDan

He’s not been given a chance - not playing for probably 6 weeks, then getting thrown in away at Swindon, without your best CM alongside him is not a chance.  He was brought off at halftime I think, and hasn’t been seen since.

I am not quite Hurst out at the moment but a huge source of my frustration this season is 3/4 players in the current 11 who have free reign to play as badly as they like and will never ever come out of the side.  I’ve been critical of both Holohan and Efete on here but both have played well in recent weeks, but find themselves out the side to players who’ve shown little.    

Clifton has been massively off the boil this season, his performance on Saturday was painful to watch - but he will always play. Whereas Hunt (and Holohan) on the other hand is cast aside at any opportunity, if he’s not good enough that’s fine - but he deserves a run of 6/7 games for us to find that out.

Hurst has always gone back to Holahan as usually he's quite reliable. He scored one and created one in a game that he also twice let runners get through that cost us. That was why he was out the next game.

Hunt started the season and then was back out. He's now been giving Andrews a chance. He's giving Clifton, Holahan, Andrews, Conteh, and Hunt (at the start of the season) a chance, so the obvious question is, why would he not give Hunt a chance now? I would assume he's seeing something in training he doesn't like. I think it's been made clear multiple times, if you don't train well, you don't play. As we cannot see what happens in training, we are just going to have to trust that Hurst and Doig are appraising that and making decisions on that. There is no point being great on the ball if for every good thing you do, leads to the opposition getting chances. We all know Hurst wants everyone to defend as a team. He doesn't like carrying players. I think most players have been her long enough to know what Hurst is looking for.

I think most would accept we have not been good enough defensively recently and we've thrown away leads. Now, more than ever, we need players in the team that take that defensive side seriously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 297
GhostDan
October 15, 2023, 8:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12

Hurst has always gone back to Holahan as usually he's quite reliable. He scored one and created one in a game that he also twice let runners get through that cost us. That was why he was out the next game.

Hunt started the season and then was back out. He's now been giving Andrews a chance. He's giving Clifton, Holahan, Andrews, Conteh, and Hunt (at the start of the season) a chance, so the obvious question is, why would he not give Hunt a chance now? I would assume he's seeing something in training he doesn't like. I think it's been made clear multiple times, if you don't train well, you don't play. As we cannot see what happens in training, we are just going to have to trust that Hurst and Doig are appraising that and making decisions on that. There is no point being great on the ball if for every good thing you do, leads to the opposition getting chances. We all know Hurst wants everyone to defend as a team. He doesn't like carrying players. I think most players have been her long enough to know what Hurst is looking for.

I think most would accept we have not been good enough defensively recently and we've thrown away leads. Now, more than ever, we need players in the team that take that defensive side seriously.

Agree with pretty much everything you’ve said, we don’t see what goes on in training and that’s fine but we see performances every Saturday and largely they haven’t been great. Hunt has been guilty of giving the ball away in dangerous areas 100% but Conteh has nailed that role which should allow Hunt to operate abit further forward.    I’m not even saying Hunt should start, I just don’t like how he’s been cast aside when others haven’t performed either.  

If I was picking the team tomorow I would have Conteh, Holohan & Andrews in midfield, as you say Andrews has been given a chance and he’s taken it, looks a real player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 297
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

He signed Hunt on a three year deal and since then Hunt’s longest run in the team is three games. As pointed out earlier, his last league start was to replace, not play alongside Conteh.

Hunt was electric when he was playing in and around McAtee and Taylor as an 8, he’s far less effective as a 4. It’s like Hurst and Doig have completely forgotten the damage he did in his loan spell in the 20/21 season, like many on here were gutted when Wednesday recalled him.

The collapse in Harry Clifton’s form is possibly the biggest concern. He isn’t the most technically gifted player so is he being asked to play a different way?

None of it makes much sense. Pre season suggested that Clifton and Conteh would do the donkey work to allow Hunt to play and we looked pretty good in pre season so why is that binned so soon?

It’s a mystery.
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 297
AncientExiledMariner
October 15, 2023, 9:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He signed Hunt on a three year deal and since then Hunt’s longest run in the team is three games. As pointed out earlier, his last league start was to replace, not play alongside Conteh.

Hunt was electric when he was playing in and around McAtee and Taylor as an 8, he’s far less effective as a 4. It’s like Hurst and Doig have completely forgotten the damage he did in his loan spell in the 20/21 season, like many on here were gutted when Wednesday recalled him.

The collapse in Harry Clifton’s form is possibly the biggest concern. He isn’t the most technically gifted player so is he being asked to play a different way?

None of it makes much sense. Pre season suggested that Clifton and Conteh would do the donkey work to allow Hunt to play and we looked pretty good in pre season so why is that binned so soon?

It’s a mystery.

I don't think he's necessarily binned him. I think he wants Hunt to take the adversity, and kick on. He's young and need to develop, and if Hurst feels he could take those lessons on while playing, I'm sure he would have stuck with him. I think sometimes it's that pain and frustration that leads us as humans to improve. We often learn more from failure than success. Some people you can give advice, and they'll adapt and carry on. Though Hurst has commented in the past, that he's not sure if some players can take on instructions. We don't know if that applies here, but we could consider it possible that this could apply for players out of the team. If Hunt can get the defensive side down well, he'll be one hell of a player, and I think we all want that. Hurst included. There are way too many players with bags of talent that didn't reach their full potential. I really hope Hunt isn't one of them.

I try not too comment too much about players out of the team as we don't see too much of this, but I think Hurst is having to spin many plates at once, juggling injuries, loss of form, and maybe even players not taking lessons.

I'd say Hunt has got an opportunity to take on points, and seize that chance, because when Green is fully fit, it could be that he comes in and pushes Conteh further up the pitch, and then breaking back in is going to get harder. Don't get me wrong, Green has flaws, but the attributes he does have, we could really do with right now.

Clifton was playing wide last year, and is more central this year. The guy is probably haven't to take a lot on board, learn and adapt also. I think Clifton at the end of the season will be better than the guy who started the season, but hopefully it all clicks into place sooner, as we need to start climbing the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 297
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Here are the records of all managers we've had to League Two (L2 matches only)...

Permanent League Two Managers

Slade I     - P 92   W 36   D 28   L 28   GD +19   Pts 136   PPG 1.48
Hurst I     - P 14   W 6    D 2    L 6    GD 0     Pts 20    PPG 1.43
Bignot      - P 26   W 9    D 7    L 10   GD -4    Pts 34    PPG 1.31
Jolley      - P 72   W 25   D 15   L 32   GD -14   Pts 90    PPG 1.25
Buckley III - P 81   W 28   D 16   L 37   GD -23   Pts 100   PPG 1.23
PERMANENTS  - P 541  W 173  D 143  L 225  GD -124  Pts 662   PPG 1.22
Holloway    - P 33   W 11   D 7    L 15   GD -15   Pts 40    PPG 1.21
Hurst II    - P 84   W 24   D 26   L 34   GD -25   Pts 98    PPG 1.17
Slade II    - P 38   W 11   D 10   L 17   GD -18   Pts 43    PPG 1.13
Woods       - P 33   W 6    D 16   L 11   GD -12   Pts 34    PPG 1.03
Newell      - P 50   W 12   D 12   L 26   GD -18   Pts 48    PPG 0.96
Rodger      - P 17   W 4    D 4    L 9    GD -14   Pts 16    PPG 0.94

Caretaker League Two Managers

Moore 2016  - P 1    W 0    D 1    L 0    GD 0     Pts 1     PPG 1.00
Lindrick    - P 8    W 1    D 4    L 3    GD -6    Pts 7     PPG 0.88
CARETAKERS  - P 16   W 1    D 7    L 8    GD -15   Pts 10    PPG 0.63
Davies      - P 2    W 0    D 1    L 1    GD -2    Pts 1     PPG 0.50
Watkiss     - P 3    W 0    D 1    L 2    GD -4    Pts 1     PPG 0.33
Moore 2018  - P 2    W 0    D 0    L 2    GD -3    Pts 0     PPG 0.00

Who the frigs Lindrick when he is at home.
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.