Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,213 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
October 14, 2023, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Seems like today has been a turning point for a lot of people. That was pretty much as bad as it gets. The board talk of incremental improvements, the manager has said in the past that he can’t be sentimental about players if the club is to move forward, the same can be said about Paul.

Like others have said we’re eternally grateful for his contribution over the last few years, we’ve had more amazing moments during this period than some clubs have had in their history. But the club has to improve, and if an opportunity presents itself by way of a new and improved manager then so be it.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 297
davmariner
October 14, 2023, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Keep your heads people. Hurst will turn this around and ensure we’re safe. It’s still only October and the run of fixtures is starting to ease. If we twist, a new manager will come in without having their players or identity in place.

This isn’t a Mike Newell or Ian Holloway team with a bunch of slackers or young lads out of their depth. Whilst mistakes have been made, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. This team is probably 2/3 players away from being a pretty decent team.

No one will be putting Hurst under more pressure to sort this out than himself.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 297
Grimal
October 14, 2023, 8:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Simon
Just a thought Holloway is still living in the area and out of work  

Nah !  I'd still go with the Tea lady option.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 297
GrimRob
October 14, 2023, 8:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
If we are going to sack him this is the time. Next week is a free hit at Stockport. There is still plenty of the season left and everything to play for. A new manager can be appointed and have plenty of time to assess the squad before the next window.

The FA Cup run last season papered over a fairly disappointing league season where we picked up a few wins at the end to make it more respectable than it was. This season looks to follow a similar pattern. I can't see having more than an outside chance of ever going up. If it's stick or twist I'd rather twist because I think a few years hovering around 14th place will only see crowds go one way and eventually we'll get sucked back into the National League. At least if we're going to finish 14th every year then a more entertaining product to while away the mid-table days would help...

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 297
lew chaterleys lover
October 14, 2023, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from davmariner
Keep your heads people. Hurst will turn this around and ensure we’re safe. It’s still only October and the run of fixtures is starting to ease. If we twist, a new manager will come in without having their players or identity in place.

This isn’t a Mike Newell or Ian Holloway team with a bunch of slackers or young lads out of their depth. Whilst mistakes have been made, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. This team is probably 2/3 players away from being a pretty decent team.

No one will be putting Hurst under more pressure to sort this out than himself.

We are keeping our heads but you would have to have been hiding under a rock not to see how appalling its been. Today was a big game for the manager and the players and they failed dismally.

Accrington were the worst team I've seen this season but we matched them all the way! Some of our football just leaves you incredulous at the sheer ineptness of it all. We have given Hurst every chance to succeed but despite all much fabled data analysts and backroom team we have managed to assemble a team totally lacking in pace, power and goals, a porous defence and 2 keepers neither of whom are as good as Crocombe.

Hurst has had a brilliant run but I hope we make a change to reinvigorate the team, the fanbase and start giving us an identity that we can build on in the coming years.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 297
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2023, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I'm sorry but no, he doesn't have any credit in the bank, not now.
I believe its 4 wins in 17 games now, he's even run out of loose change from down the back of the sofa for me now.
Honestly, the football at home last season was dire, I think the run of wins towards the end masked how poor we were and bar Gillingham/Salford this season has so far been the same.
We have no style, no identity, he constantly tinkers, plays players out of form whilst in form players sit warming the bench.
Thanks for the greatest play off run and fa Cup but time for a change, we need a complete reboot and to actually see some entertaining, exciting football, at least at home.

It’s 3 wins in 17 including the Barrow shambles.

We need a manager to get the best out of this squad. Soon.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 297
Tommy
October 14, 2023, 8:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from davmariner
Keep your heads people. Hurst will turn this around and ensure we’re safe.

If that's the extent of our ambition or what we're willing to accept (just finishing above the bottom 2) after the increased budget, multiple fees paid for players etc, then that on its own merit is enough to call it a day.

Quoted from davmariner
It’s still only October and the run of fixtures is starting to ease.

Should we wait until we've played the bottom 2 teams so we can beat them and say we're too good to go down? Or do we have some interest in competing with the top half of the league? I don't get all this acceptance from many that we've had a tough start of fixtures so didn't need to be concerned by our lack of results. We want to compete with those teams, not just be defeatist and aim for mid-table.

Quoted from davmariner
If we twist, a new manager will come in without having their players or identity in place.

But we have no identity now anyway. We started the season trying to play possession football but chose to abandon that rather than get better at it and tweak bits to improve how we did it.

And regards a new manager having his own players. You could argue, in a sense, that PH doesn't have his own players (that he wants) as he doesn't seem to trust many of them to either play, or play more than one game before being dropped.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 297
Mappers
October 14, 2023, 8:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Why are people taking this as an opportunity to slate our Chairman? Bizzare

I back Pettit & Stockwood , seem good owners in a world of really bad one's . Now they have a decision to make and an opportunity to move us forward .

They need to get the right one ,lets see.

We got 6400 against Accrington , if we were doing well the support is there to fill the place out - that's what we need now to move us on .

We are a big club at league 2 level , no doubt about it ,  10 other clubs feel the same  probably , but we need the right man to find out what our potential is both as a fanbase and team .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 297
spuggybridge
October 14, 2023, 9:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
John Eustace recently sacked by Birmingham did a brilliant job of getting them into play off contenders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 297
denni266
October 14, 2023, 9:02pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Grimal

Nah !  I'd still go with the Tea lady option.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 297
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.