Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,194 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 10:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
He isn’t going to be dismissed. If people are expecting or demanding that, they need to get a grip and rethink. However, we will probably lose next week, building the clamour. I think the Colchester home game is pivotal. Win and survive, lose and there’ll be a huge outrage.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 297
toontown
October 15, 2023, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33
He isn’t going to be dismissed. If people are expecting or demanding that, they need to get a grip and rethink. However, we will probably lose next week, building the clamour. I think the Colchester home game is pivotal. Win and survive, lose and there’ll be a huge outrage.

I absolutely agree with you, but there is a danger that it becomes not win and survive, but win and limp on. That regardless of those 3 points we simply struggle the next game and are in the midst of a real relegation battle. I want to see him given those 2 games but I see the danger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 297
heppy88
October 15, 2023, 10:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from chaos33
Win and survive, lose and there’ll be a huge outrage.

Isn’t there already “huge outrage”? Why does the inevitable have to occur at some point in the future? Stop NOW, look back, assess and be proactive. I’m not saying everything will be rosy after he has gone. But at least there remains a good portion of the season and a transfer window for a new manager to turn things around. Can anyone honestly say they enjoy going to BP and are remotely entertained with the football he is managing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 297
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
Yeah I think you’re right. It’s not good whichever way you slice it. The whole thing looks broken to me. It needs to change.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 297
pen penfras
October 15, 2023, 10:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from chaos33

If fans vote with their feet, he'll have to go. The board can't afford to lose 2000 fans with all the grand plans of spending and building year on year. I still don't think we're at that point, but I think they'll have less patience than the run in NL when I thought he should have gone. We didn't have all the new fans and big budget then, there's got to be a lot less patience when you're seeing zero return for a big investment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 297
forza ivano
October 15, 2023, 10:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Bigdog

When the manager is clearly tanking, I'm sure JS and AP have the nous not to tank their reputations too through blind loyalty. I also think they'll be prepared to invest more into getting a new manager than we've all seen in our lifetimes. They'll understand that's where the greatest return on investment lies..

sounds feasible - I wonder if 21st group and the 2 consultants they've used have already been asked to put some ideas as to stats, costs, lists etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 297
AdamHaddock
October 15, 2023, 10:33am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from forza ivano

sounds feasible - I wonder if 21st group and the 2 consultants they've used have already been asked to put some ideas as to stats, costs, lists etc.

I'm sure Extreme Leisure could do it just as effectively

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 297
marinerjase
October 15, 2023, 10:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,678
Gold Stars: 147
A few weeks/hours pondering on the Paul Hurst thing..yes, weeks..because it just hasn’t looked right this season for me, from the get go. There’s something not quite right, or working..or both..

I always try to be balanced on things, not over react or look at things from one view point, take time to reflect and then come to a view of my own whilst understanding others. Always admired Hurst, always liked him as a person, so I’ve no time for name calling, abuse etc - that does my head in ..it’s unnecessary, pathetic and juvenile. And whilst he’s manager I’d never go to a game and call for him to go etc..I won’t next weekend if he’s still around..I’ll applaud in support and hope somehow it can be turned around.

He’s had nigh on a decade at our club, some going..particularly the first spell working under he who shall not be named..I’ll always maintain that was an achievement in itself..6 years or so ..regardless of results/achievements, merely sticking it out..most won’t appreciate the working conditions at that time..so just for that he has my respect. I’ve admired his stubbornness ..granted it can at times work both ways, favourably and not so, and as we’ve seen/know..not always great in developing relationship with support. I admire his tenacity, pursuit of wanting better, dry sense of humour..and until recent times I’ve always said ‘right man..at the right club..at the right time..’

Sadly, and it’s not something I like seeing or saying, for some of the aforementioned reasons above..I think it’s come to a time where at least questions have to be asked.  He’s been backed with funds (as much as could be..would be silly to try to compete with others on that front) , I’m understanding recent relative ‘success’..promotion, FA cup run etc..and the supposed aims and ambitions, or ‘project’..

But this season hasn’t worked out from the start imho, there doesn’t seem to be any method of approach, the team look lethargic/flat, devoid of confidence, the football as such is largely aimless, there’s a fragility about the side, and if I’m being honest, I’ve seen enough football over the years to see and know somethings not right. Yes there’s been the odd result here and there..but in general nothings happening..and then you start looking at what’s being done to change, better, adapt, improve, get out of the mistakes ..and I’m seeing players being used out of position, some not utilised, some included when seriously out of form, and the same ‘tactics’ employed..

As said not based on yesterday, but in general from the off - imo this has the feel of a side in trouble, and that’s why questions need to be asked.

Whether that be privately today discussions are made, questions asked, be it between owners/manager, collectively with players and address what isn’t working/why. Think it needs addressing sooner rather than later, in whatever way - for the greater good. If that concludes with manager going - or it’s a general kick up the bottom for all..then it needs doing now.

But whether hurst stays or goes..nothing is gained from hurling abuse, getting personal..insults..etc. Saw all that with Groves years ago, toxic and not pleasant to witness.

By all means not an issue with opinions being known, voices heard etc - but there’s ways and means of doing it in a classier way, and regardless of personal opinions on someone - end of the day it’s a bloke who’s just doing his best. If it doesn’t work out no one will feel it more than themselves.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 297
DB
October 15, 2023, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
13 games into the season and firing on half a cylinder. 4 lost out of the last 6 with a scrappy win over a better Barrow side. It looks to me as if the Hurst style of play has been well and truly sussed out by most of the opposition managers.

1 upfront ( mainly Rose ) with little, if no, support. Defence is a bit static, especially on the left and can be stretched for runners/ open players in the middle to score. Unfortunately, Harry has not performed as he did last season and as much as I like him, one of our own needs to be dropped for a while. Conteh's form has also dropped off but not to the extent of Harry's.

Then, as I previously mentioned in threads, we have a complete lack of attitude among the players. The never say die, team spirit, run and cover for each other has totally disappeared this season. They are playing, mostly as a disjointed dysfunctional unit. They have played good football at times, but it is a rarity and not the norm.

All in all, it boils down to the fact that, for whatever reason, Hurst has to accept the blame for all of this. He does not seem to be in control of the team although most agree the new signings have been an improvement as players, but not as a team. 13 games in, a trip to Spain, preseason and the players have not gelled.

We have players like Hunt, who we paid for, not even on the bench! As positive and optimistic as I am I can only see us in freefall at the moment. So at the moment the only thing, that I see going for the club are us fans.

1878 talk about club improvement so surely now is the time to improve the team management. Hurst has done a good job for us, promotion and cup run. As mentioned in this thread the home performance last season was woeful and this year is the same or worse!

JS and AP are not successful businessmen without being ruthless at times. Now is the time for them to dismiss Hurst and Doig whist the season is still relatively young. We can recover under new leadership with a mid/upper table finish. Who knows that with 33 games we might even get a playoff place (my optimism).

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 297
LH
October 15, 2023, 11:01am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,597
Gold Stars: 175
I think he’s probably got three games to turn it around. Next week is a bit of a freebie because it’d be a tough game regardless of how we’re playing. The two after that are probably must wins though now because we’ll be getting dragged into the bottom two or three if we don’t.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.