Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Badger57, Balthazar Bullitt, Barrattstander, bartgtfc, bawarmy, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, bigbadmarinerbob, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BrMarin, BruceytheFish, Brummie Codfather, BulkyMariner, Cambs Mariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, Caveman, Cayman_mariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, coddy60, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, DB, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, friskneymariner, Gaffer58, Gainsbro_Mariner, GarforthMariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, GollyGTFC, Googlebot, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, grimsby pete, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, Harbour Rat, HarrogateMariner, Heisenberg, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, johnbhoy, jonnyboy82, jungleland, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Les Brechin, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LN8Mariner, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, majestic tees, ManBurning, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, Mariner56, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Mark GTFC, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Mikey_345, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Nadfink, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, neverapen, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, supertown, Sussexmariner, sutton mariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, The_Laughing_Mariner, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WetFlannel, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Zmariner and 1167 Guests

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,229 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
October 15, 2023, 12:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I am a Hurst fan but we are crap that is clear. The teams that come here have looked much better on the ball, stronger and quicker. I would say 6 points from the next 4 games or we need to change things. Very sorry things have come to this , today was fine margins. A bad miss, a dubious sending off and a great goal. That said I thought we were dire yet again and our style of play is hard to watch. Big boot football with the wrong type of players. Hard times and we are in a relegation fight yet again and I never expected this, utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 297
nightrider
October 15, 2023, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Paul's mistake was achieving promotion.  
Nobody would have questioned him if he spent the next 10yrs putting us into the playoffs every season. But he had to go and spoil it
Little respect for him as a manager especially when he dithered around for a couple of months and subsequently got us relegated. He should have walked then 100% imo
But then bang we went top of the league the following season. I thought the team he'd assembled was crap basically,  one of our worst ever (barring mcatee) and had us down for a finish of around 10th. How wrong I was. Granted we still recorded our second worst league finish ever?  but then that team does the unthinkable and achieves promotion
- absolutely no point whatsoever to my rant, I just think, it's a funny old game
Fast forward to now. I just think the time we went top of the league changed my opinion of him that's all. He's obviously got something. Do people honestly think these players are good enough? I'm not so sure. Missing 2x fullbacks, striker, and a goalkeeper. Holohan for all the praise he gets on here was released by hartlepool for not being good enough? So a midfielder as well.  At least.
Did they support him in the transfer market?? Would be my first question. Can't help but think they didn't really and this will play a part in him keeping his job. Can't blame him if he's not been given the cash either. The goalkeepers. Relegation defenders. Crap loans. Crocked players. Something doesn't add up with the budget
Anyway like I say, just a rant. I feel for us the fans but undecided on whether he should go or not. The next 2games will probably decide it

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 297
DaleH
October 15, 2023, 4:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 168
Paul showed sufficient candour in his interview yesterday to signal that there are things he has to address to bring about improvement in his team and a change to the outcomes. That’s an important quality in any leader. So personally, with the season being still so early, I’d be giving him time to use his managerial expertise to make the necessary changes he needs to effect positive changes.

To not allow your respected professional football manager some reasonable time to do what he needs to improve performances and get results, would be poor leadership at board level in my opinion. So for me, now is not the time to have your finger on the trigger as club owners.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 297
heppy88
October 15, 2023, 4:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
By the end of August, a few on here were saying Hurst should be given 10 games and then a proper assessment can be made. Now, some are suggesting the next 4 games, a few others 2 games. Whatever, the fact is, this is just kicking the can down the road.

There has always been a section of the fan base that have never warmed to Hurst. Then there are those whose support of the manager changes as per results and performances. For better or for worse I include myself in this camp. Finally, a section cannot contemplate his departure. I guess we saw similar towards Fenty.

But, in all the years I’ve read and contributed on here, I’ve never, until now, seen the almost ( admittedly in some cases begrudgingly) universal acceptance, that he should go.

For all of his accolades, he has the uncanny knack of taking footballers,  that in the first few games of a season may have shown a bit of flair, inventiveness and enjoyment of the game and literally squeeze it out of them over the ensuing weeks. God forbid if you have a personality that can’t be tempered, as you’ll almost be certainly, eventually, shown the door. This season, you could even argue he has done the same to the supporters.

Yes, as posters have quite rightly been stating, Hurst has given us some great high moments. But for the bits in between his football has been turgid at best, soul destroying at worst and yesterday’s “performance” in my honest opinion hit a new low. Even presenters and contributors on Humberside, post match, struggled to offer any glimpse of hope for our current on field predicament. Even more baffling, I think many agree we have the potential players and with a few more additions we could potentially see more success. But not with Hurst and the current coaching staff in place.

The fans have bought into the 1878 ethos. In difficult times we have sold record numbers of season tickets and merch. But, without a doubt, the groundswell of opinion towards Paul Hurst has shifted. I think people cannot take what’s on offer and either Paul needs to do the honourable thing, or 1878 need to make the difficult decision, I’m sure, they would have been dreading. Yes it’s a risk. But a risk, that with 1878 at the helm, will hopefully breathe new life into the team, club and most importantly, it’s supporters.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 297
mariner91
October 15, 2023, 7:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DaleH
Paul showed sufficient candour in his interview yesterday to signal that there are things he has to address to bring about improvement in his team and a change to the outcomes. That’s an important quality in any leader. So personally, with the season being still so early, I’d be giving him time to use his managerial expertise to make the necessary changes he needs to effect positive changes.

To not allow your respected professional football manager some reasonable time to do what he needs to improve performances and get results, would be poor leadership at board level in my opinion. So for me, now is not the time to have your finger on the trigger as club owners.

Yeah he’s only had 17 games so far and had most of the squad in place since early July. Nowhere near enough time to have them even resembling a football team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 297
lew chaterleys lover
October 15, 2023, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DaleH

Candour? I don't think so. I feel for him because he obviously can't be candid can he? He can't say I'm disappointed with the players I've signed or the formation we play has been a disaster.

Sometimes the result is different because that's football, but we have been playing like we did yesterday for weeks - completely clueless is the honest truth and neither are the players busting a gut. Something has gone on behind the scenes but he can't be candid about that either.

He mentioned yesterday the pitch was "sticky" for both sides but why that matters when we pass the ball at pedestrian pace across any pitch I'm not sure.

It's a horrible situation to be in but this has been brewing from quite early in the season; by the time of the next home game comes it will nearly be November and we have scored a grand total of 2 league goals at the home end. The fans are paying customers and not all die hards and there has been zero excitement for them to cheer.

I think the Board should act. They have given him the background stuff he wanted and I assume a bigger budget and authorised longer term deals but it just isn't working.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 297
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DaleH

As you’re a businessman yourself, you will be judged on your results. Our results are poor.

If your staff aren’t performing, then it’s usually down to poor leadership or a poor working environment.

Paul showed sufficient candour? Yes he did and so he should. 6200 Town fans turned up to watch another inept performance. I walked out yesterday, so did a lot of others. That sort of thing doesn’t go unnoticed. It’s time he and his sidekick left the building.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 297
Youngy
October 15, 2023, 9:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from DaleH

I'm not sure he is addressing it though, the issue of goal scoring has been one for close to 18 months. If addressing the problem is playing one up top when at home against a team who (up to yesterday) had conceded in all their away games then the exam has been failed.

He also hasn't addressed the problems of using substitutions positively to effect a game (and not as a reactionary measure).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 297
dapperz fun pub
October 15, 2023, 9:18am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from DaleH

Gates down to 4k shortly when the winter kicks in , the whole thing is stale and needs freshening up no need for insults to hurst but it’s run its course. I’m sure Jason and Andrew have sacked people before under performing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 297
October 15, 2023, 9:24am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Is that why they were both on the bench for a couple of the games Efete played LB?

They were not both on the bench for several games prior to that, if you care to do some research, you will find out.

Reply: 109 - 297
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.