Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,236 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
October 16, 2023, 2:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91
You are incapable of understanding very simple concepts and are incredibly obstinate even in the face of overwhelming evidence against you. Totally pointless replying to any of the guff you write on here.

Overwhelming evidence, show me!  You're not replying because you know I'm right.  Read your post again and tell me it's not laughable.

Reply: 190 - 297
October 16, 2023, 2:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

Honestly, I think we've all noticed.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing against now.

I thought you was one of the more sensible ones too, but you obviously want to make out that I don't know what I'm talking about, it was very plainly posted above, if you cannot digest that, then I don't know what to say to you.

You should all look at GrimPols post below, he puts it more eloquently than me, but he is saying the same thing.

Reply: 191 - 297
October 16, 2023, 2:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimPol
Gordon Bennett, will you listen to yourselves?  
You are arguing about things you just cannot know about. You don't know if all some none of the signings were first choice second or what was left over once others had signed them. You argue amongst yourselves as if you had been in on the contractual discussions, were party to the Budget negotiations and obviously you are invited to all the team talks and half time discussions. None of us know anything, we are all in the dark.
What we do know is what we see and that is the team playing poorly, and subs being made strangely.  Everything else is pure imagination and invention.
Now I'm a great believer in that 2+2=4 teams. If they become 2+2=5 that's fantastic, Alex Ferguson and Buckley style. We aren't there. In fact we are rarely 2+2=4 and mostly 2+2=3. The team is not the sum of its parts. They are disjointed and play as strangers. It's all down to the Management team.
But do stop writing as if you are in the know.

Spot on, and exactly what I have been saying all along.

Reply: 192 - 297
arryarryarry
October 16, 2023, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 123614

Overwhelming evidence, show me!  You're not replying because you know I'm right.  Read your post again and tell me it's not laughable.

You mean like you were right in 2021 when every game you said we won win and that Paul Hurst would keep us up.

You were clueless then.
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 297
Poojah
October 16, 2023, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
For me, even beyond the left-back situation there are numerous, very clear deficiencies and risks right through the squad following the summer’s recruitment program. You can argue that there’s an element of hindsight about this, but I felt they were fairly obvious even back then; I was simply inclined to overlook them at the time since Hurst seemed very content with the business done, and who am I to argue with that?

You can start with the goalkeepers. I liked Max Crocombe, but saw this window as an opportunity to improve upon what had gone before - a clear stated aim of the ownership. Ultimately, we signed two relatively inexperienced replacements and whilst I don’t think Eastwood has been horrible, our strategy here was a big risk.

As has already been discussed at length, we of course failed to improve our options at left-back, an area that had been suspect on occasion the season before. This is undeniable fact.

We allowed 33-year old Luke Waterfall to become our only bona fide back-up at centre-half (assuming Mullarkey is playing in his preferred right-back berth). I have all the time in the world for Luke Waterfall, but there were signs last season that his best days at League Two-level were behind him. His second yellow at the weekend only served to sum up the mounting evidence.

We failed to add meaningful experience in central midfield. If you look at all the sides towards the top end of the league this season and last, almost all have at least one older head who has played a significant amount of football at a markedly higher level. We have no one in that area of the pitch who has played above League Two. The lack of quality in the middle of the park has been stark at times, with the general exception of Conteh.

We have some seemingly talented wide players, and anonymous though he was on Saturday, Abo Eisa has to be one of the better success stories of the summer. But he did arrive with a sketchy injury record, whilst the same can also be said about Khan and the now long-term injured Vernam.

And then we’ve got our striking options. There’s no denying what a good player Danny Rose is, and he is one of very few who came out of the Accrington game with any credit. But the lack of height is criminal at this level. Yes, Rose has an almost unnatural leap on him, but you can’t expect him to consistently win headers when put up against centre-halves routinely 6ft 3”+. Are such strikers impossible to find? The famously unfashionable Accrington Stanley managed to find a 6ft 5” target man in the shape of a 21 year-old loanee who notched his 6th goal of the season against us in the game just gone.

You could potentially add pace to the list of missing qualities, too, though this might eventually come with Wilson if we can keep him fit. Ultimately though, we just seem to be lacking the kinds of attacking attributes that create unpredictability, chaos and panic. We are a tepid force, far too much of the time.

Back in July and August, when I first had these concerns at the back of my mind, I assumed it would all come together with Hurst’s new-fangled system, but that only seems to have exacerbated matters. I worry too that Hurst lacks the tactical nous to master contemporary formations and approaches. His more successful moments have generally arrived via variants of more classic 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 systems.

With hindsight, I suppose you could say that the problems we are experiencing should have been foreseen. I just rather hoped PH would have had the answers to what looked like obvious questions. Do we have the right experience in goal? Are our left-backs good enough? Do we have adequate cover at centre-half? Enough experience in midfield? Do we really not need a target man in our ranks? Do we have sufficient pace or guile to consistently hurt the opposition?

So far I’ve seen little that answers the above in a positive way - only more questions. Why is the side shipping poor goals in a very un-Paul Hurst-like way? Where’s all the graft and good team ethic we’ve all come to expect, gone? Has something gone on behind the scenes? Will this formation ever work?

I don’t know the answers. All I know is that Paul Hurst has a very limited time now to answer them himself. Good job we’ve only got top of the league Stockport - who’ve won their last 7 league games, scoring 18 goals in the process - up next.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 297
October 16, 2023, 3:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

You mean like you were right in 2021 when every game you said we won win and that Paul Hurst would keep us up.

You were clueless then.

So another one jumps on the Bash the Bear thread.  Dunno what 2021 has to do with this thread, but whatever floats your boat.

Reply: 195 - 297
DB
October 16, 2023, 4:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
A lot has been said in these threads about Hurst out. It was inferred that this forum would be ignored as it has few members, however according to the stats ( at the bottom of Fishy Forum ) there are over 6,000 members. Ok, not all post on here and those that do may not all post at the same time, but it is reflective of the opinions of pros and cons of the club.

Likewise, it was suggested that the gate may reflect fans' views by the number each week decreasing, however, there are already 5,500+ st's sold. I think a more reflective view of the gate would be 'how many match day fans turn up and pay' which of course is only known by JS & AP. This is the only figure that can be used as to whether the fans are satisfied or not.

Both JS & AP have said that they want the club to improve year on year, so why should this not include Hurst? Yes, he has been a good servant and has done well in the past. It is to the future we should look and has Hurst taken us past League 1? NO. He has managed higher but was sacked at Ipswich ( probably for reasons which he was not responsible for ) and don't forget he left Shrewsbury for Ipswich; so he's not frightened of jumping from a good ship.

At end of the day it is a results and points based business and we are not getting our fair share. It is also an entertainment business and we have not had that in abundance at BP for several months now. A change of manager now would give a new man time to settle in before Christmas and might just recover our season for us.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 297
arryarryarry
October 16, 2023, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 123614

So another one jumps on the Bash the Bear thread.  Dunno what 2021 has to do with this thread, but whatever floats your boat.

Only the fact that you used to spout bollox, so why should now be any different.
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 297
SpiritOf98
October 16, 2023, 5:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 123614

Is there some sort of contest I've not heard about where the first poster to reach -2,000 red crosses wins a big cash prize and if so what do we all think B&W Bear will spend it on?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 297
It Bites
October 16, 2023, 5:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from SpiritOf98

Is there some sort of contest I've not heard about where the first poster to reach -2,000 red crosses wins a big cash prize and if so what do we all think B&W Bear will spend it on?

😂😂😂😂 I’d of won it if there was one mate
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.