Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,216 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
October 15, 2023, 9:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,709
Gold Stars: 96
I’ve been going long enough to just have the gut feeling that it’s  the manager is going to get the sack time .
Sorry to say that as PH has been a good manager but it’s obviously time for a change. Something isn’t right at the minute

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 297
October 15, 2023, 9:35am
Guest User
I’m not going to get into the in out debate. Something is clearly wrong. But we’ve only appointed two managers in 40 years who’ve got us promoted. Buckley was one. I really don’t think this is going to be the magic wand everyone thinks it is. And are we still suggesting Steve Cotterill ffs?

One thing people should think about while they’ve got their knives on the whetstone is that the whole “greater together” ethos goes with the sacking of Hurst and Doig. That’s not something they’ll drop lightly.

As I said, I’m very concerned for the future and this cannot continue. I don’t know where I stand regarding the manager. It’s not going to be straightforward though.
Reply: 111 - 297
pen penfras
October 15, 2023, 9:38am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

They were not both on the bench for several games prior to that, if you care to do some research, you will find out.

Tranmere is the only league game where neither has been on the bench. Both were on the bench the first game Efete played left back, just Glennon for the next 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 297
lew chaterleys lover
October 15, 2023, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 140381
I’m not going to get into the in out debate. Something is clearly wrong. But we’ve only appointed two managers in 40 years who’ve got us promoted. Buckley was one. I really don’t think this is going to be the magic wand everyone thinks it is. And are we still suggesting Steve Cotterill ffs?

One thing people should think about while they’ve got their knives on the whetstone is that the whole “greater together” ethos goes with the sacking of Hurst and Doig. That’s not something they’ll drop lightly.

As I said, I’m very concerned for the future and this cannot continue. I don’t know where I stand regarding the manager. It’s not going to be straightforward though.

Any sackings are horrible but that is part of the Board's remit. Hurst is an employee and he is long in the tooth enough to know its not been good enough and he may get the dreaded call. Greater together doesn't mean never sacking the manager.

Like you rightly say they will look long and hard about it but will have to come to a decision.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 297
jamesgtfc
October 15, 2023, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from 123614

They were not both on the bench for several games prior to that, if you care to do some research, you will find out.

Here is my research for the league games:

Matchday 1 & 2: Glennon started, Amos wasn't in the squad.

Matchday 3-7: Amos started, Glennon wasn't in the squad.

Matchday 8: Amos started, Glennon was on the bench.

Matchday 9: Glennon started, Amos was on the bench.

Matchday 10: Amos and Glennon were on the bench.

Matchday 11: Glennon was on the bench, Amos wasn't in the squad.

Matchday 12: Amos and Glennon were not in the squad.

Matchday 13: Amos started, Glennon was on the bench.

So, the conclusion of the research I cared to do is that Glennon was not selected/available for a few consecutive games, but both him and Amos have only been absent from one matchday squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 297
davmariner
October 15, 2023, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Youngy

I'm not sure he is addressing it though, the issue of goal scoring has been one for close to 18 months. If addressing the problem is playing one up top when at home against a team who (up to yesterday) had conceded in all their away games then the exam has been failed.

He also hasn't addressed the problems of using substitutions positively to effect a game (and not as a reactionary measure).

Not sure the last bit is true. For example, in the last home game he brought Donovan Wilson on to score the winner.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 297
Youngy
October 15, 2023, 9:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from davmariner

Not sure the last bit is true. For example, in the last home game he brought Donovan Wilson on to score the winner.

That isn't the norm though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 297
October 15, 2023, 9:47am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

Tranmere is the only league game where neither has been on the bench. Both were on the bench the first game Efete played left back, just Glennon for the next 2.

As I said, "not both were on the bench", I didn't say 'where neither has been on the bench'.

Reply: 117 - 297
pen penfras
October 15, 2023, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from davmariner

It's not true. Some people expect game changing substitutes to be made every game. By and large, that doesn't happen, few teams do it against us and we don't do it often either. Because 1 or 2 players rarely impact the game enough to change the overall dynamics. If you look at how many games Hurst has made changes that positively affected the game in the last 2 years, it's probably higher than most other teams.

There's also the Parslow point type substitutions that not all managers make and has cost us a few times, but overall I think that is a poor criticism of Hurst. As is the dire football. The thought that people would be happy to be 18th if we were losing 5-4 every week is laughable. Nobody cares what the football looks like if we're top and everybody is unhappy if we're near the bottom regardless of the football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 297
GollyGTFC
October 15, 2023, 9:52am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358

Any sackings are horrible but that is part of the Board's remit. Hurst is an employee and he is long in the tooth enough to know its not been good enough and he may get the dreaded call. Greater together doesn't mean never sacking the manager.

Like you rightly say they will look long and hard about it but will have to come to a decision.

I would be staggered if there haven't already been conversations in regards to our disappointing start to the season. Hurst's body language and demeanor in the last couple of most match interviews suggest he's under pressure to make immediate improvements from his bosses.

Looking at fixture calendar I think after our game at Doncaster on 28th October could be decision, Maybe before if we are totally humiliated at Stockport or lose at home to Colchester.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 119 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.