Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Hurst out

This thread currently has 26,221 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
October 22, 2023, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I agree performances and results have been rubbish, and I'd definitely be more in favour of changing if it wasn't for the fact that we haven't had anyone better than PH since Buckley. You literally couldn't believe a word of what Bignot or Holloway said, and Sladeball was even worse than what we're watching currently. Jolley was probably the best of the others in recent times, but again we struggled under him to score goals when Hansen was mostly injured.

I agree with others that the football is pretty crap and the points total is poor but I'd personally trust PH to make changes in January and at least secure a mid-table finish, than take a risky roll of the dice on somebody else - given our shite track record with other managers. Maybe I'm just too risk averse.

You don't think it's a risk to the club's future keeping Hurst? You said yourself the points total is poor and the football is crap. How's that going to end for the club coffers and the status of our club? Home and away fans are already voting with their feet. And secondly.. 1878 never hired Holloway, Bignot, Slade or Jolley and we're not on Fenty budgets nowadays....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 297
GrimPol
October 22, 2023, 2:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Hagrid

No im not dithering. I just believe PH Has what it takes to turn it around

Give me two " PH has what it takes" points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 297
Roast Em Bobby
October 22, 2023, 2:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Bigdog

You don't think it's a risk to the club's future keeping Hurst?

No, I don't think its as big a risk as rolling the dice on a new manager, but none of us know for sure do we?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 297
GrimPol
October 22, 2023, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog

You don't think it's a risk to the club's future keeping Hurst? You said yourself the points total is poor and the football is crap. How's that going to end for the club coffers and the status of our club? Home and away fans are already voting with their feet. And secondly.. 1878 never hired Holloway, Bignot, Slade or Jolley and we're not on Fenty budgets nowadays....

Did they initially hire PH mk2?.  They obviously took him on when there was a handover, but were they in on the initial after-Holloway recruitment choice?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 297
ska face
October 22, 2023, 2:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Honest question for those who still have faith that PH is the man to take us forward - do you really think these long spells of poor form are acceptable or can be sustained on an annual basis?

20/21 - 2 wins in his first 19
21/22 - 2 wins in 14 from October, including 11 losses
22/23 - 3 wins in 13 from October, just 1 league win+ 2 fa cup
23/24 - 3 wins in first 18

It’s only during the conference season we saw anything similar in terms of a run of wins, where we had 10 wins in the first 13. For someone so level-headed and averse to swings of emotion, his form really does have a boom-bust / famine-feast look to it.
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 297
The Dogs Testicles
October 22, 2023, 2:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: -107
Gold Stars: 17
If we want to progress, it’s time to say thanks for everything and hand over the baton. We’ve released players that we thought had reached their ceiling in the name of progress, now we need to apply the same ruling to the coaching staff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 297
TwoLeftFeet
October 22, 2023, 3:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Always had faith in Hurst but it's time for a change im a bit disappointed we seem to be dithering at mo hoping things are going to improve..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 297
Bigdog
October 22, 2023, 3:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ska face
Honest question for those who still have faith that PH is the man to take us forward - do you really think these long spells of poor form are acceptable or can be sustained on an annual basis?

It’s only during the conference season we saw anything similar in terms of a run of wins, where we had 10 wins in the first 13. For someone so level-headed and averse to swings of emotion, his form really does have a boom-bust / famine-feast look to it.

You could extend this further.. Except for the play offs and cup run, eternally grateful for those one off games, how far does his "bad run" in the league go for preceding clubs too? Other than those first few games back in the Conference, I can't remember the "good" run of games being particularly enjoyable either other than grinding out dour wins and draws.

For once the measured approach is coming from fans thanking PH for his services, but knowing it's time for a change. The facts speak for themselves in all honesty. But.. I understand the emotional side too. Loyalty, continuation, fear of change etc. It would have been so easy for us for PH to succeed, so easy. But we're light years away from that unfortunately.. If 1878 gave him the sack, no one would be surprised at their action, and therein lies exactly where we are in football terms..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 297
FishySmithy
October 22, 2023, 3:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Generally think we have been unlucky, some good players some of the new players struggling with habits of losing from previous clubs that was relegated  Rodgers, Eastwood and Mullarkey both our LB’s confidence is also shot and Effete too, the moans and groans from the home support don’t help with it either.
This has clearly spread within the team Clifton is a prime example etc that being said it’s no wander we are shipping goals.

Yesrtedary though was a step in the right direction we are that one win, performance away from it all clicking we ain’t a bad side but we ain’t a top 7 side.

Hurst will change it around and won’t be leaving us I just can’t see it, possibly may have to change our style like last season at some point though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 297
Poojah
October 22, 2023, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from ska face

A potential counter-argument to this is that in two out of those three examples, the ultimate, bigger picture outcome was positive (promotion in one, our highest league finish in 17 years and our best cup run in 84 years in the other). In the other, there were significant mitigating circumstances, though I’m not completely absolving Hurst of responsibility for his role in that relegation.

For me, the bigger questions are:

a) why do we suffer these huge slumps in form under Hurst
b) is there sufficient confidence that he will pull us out of this nose dive, as he has done the past two seasons

I don’t think either question is easy to answer. Following that infernal run in 21/22, we followed-up by finishing the season with 15 wins out of our last 23, losing only 3 times. Produce that sort of form now, and everything’s hunky dory again. But that season we’d at least seen that the team was capable of stringing wins together, and some of the reasons for our poor form were fairly easy to identify.

Hurst has no such luxuries with his current crew. That said, I have a feeling that the current owners will allow the manager to go a game or two beyond the point that most clubs would pull the trigger. To that end, I could see him surviving a defeat on Tuesday, even if the thought of that horrifies most on here.

With 5 out of the next 6 games against sides either around us or below us, Hurst has a real opportunity to pull some results out of the bag and relieve himself of some pressure. However, it’s such a massive double-edged sword - more bad results than good against this lot and he will surely be relieved of his duties.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.