Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,392 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
July 29, 2021, 8:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Yossarian
I've seen this film many times....but Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.....Gary Oldman brilliant.  I did also watch the 1970s tv series which is superb with Alek Guinness.....

What I would call a ‘proper’ film. Great cast and relies on the plot and intrigue for its appeal. Smileys People has been in pre production for years and whichever studio has it needs to pull their fingers out!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 447
Sandford1981
July 29, 2021, 8:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. I'm a big fan of Bob Odenkirk.

Just read he’s collapsed on set of the latest series of better call Saul and is in Hospital. Described as a heart related incident- whatever that actually means.

Private Message
Reply: 151 - 447
DB
July 29, 2021, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
I don't wish to be pedantic, especially with my record of spelling English, and grammar. It is Alec, not Alek, Guinness.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 447
KingstonMariner
July 29, 2021, 1:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Watched one of my favourite’war films’ last night. Master & Commander. This film has it all. Not just a shoot em up film. Seems pretty accurate too historically speaking (though naval stuff isn’t my area, and I’ve not read the book which I found impenetrable as they’re stuffed with sailing lingo). For one thing it doesn’t have my particular bugbear, exploding canon balls.

“Quick is the word and swift is the action.”

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 447
Sandford1981
July 29, 2021, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Watched one of my favourite’war films’ last night. Master & Commander. This film has it all. Not just a shoot em up film. Seems pretty accurate too historically speaking (though naval stuff isn’t my area, and I’ve not read the book which I found impenetrable as they’re stuffed with sailing lingo). For one thing it doesn’t have my particular bugbear, exploding canon balls.

A really good film and one I’ve not watched in years. I wouldn’t immediately say Crowe is my favourite actor but he’s in many of my favourite films. Especially from about 1998 onwards when he had a great run of excellent movies.

Private Message
Reply: 154 - 447
Sandford1981
July 30, 2021, 7:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Bad Times at the El Royale
8/10

Early 1970s. Four strangers check in at the El Royale Hotel. The hotel is deserted, staffed by a single desk clerk. Some of the new guests' reasons for being there are less than innocent and some are not who they appear to be.

A gem of a movie. Had a feel of Tarantino about it and a great soundtrack. A touch of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Hateful Eight and the John Cusack film Identity.

Bit of a surprise this one but I loved it.

Private Message
Reply: 155 - 447
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
August 2, 2021, 11:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Quoted from KingstonMariner

A really good film and it contains the ever funny "lesser of two weevils" joke.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 447
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2021, 11:55pm
Meths Drinker

A really good film and it contains the ever funny "lesser of two weevils" joke.

“Aha! There I have you!”

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 447
KingstonMariner
August 5, 2021, 12:39am
Meths Drinker
On Tuesday BBC4 showed Naples ‘44.

It’s hard to describe it. Incredible. Moving. Shocking. Humane.

It’s a film of the memoirs of Norman Lewis in 1943-44. Described on IMDB as a documentary, but that doesn’t really cover it at all. The film is a montage of newsreel and old film extracts picked to illustrate what was being talked about in the narration. Benedict Cumberbatch was reading the memoirs.

Naples comes over as an incredible, complex society, with all sorts of strange customs. Somehow the people dragged themselves through a horrific time. Bombed by the Allies (who destroyed the water system and other utilities infrastructure in the process), then the Germans blew up what they could of remaining infrastructure when they retreated.

Highly recommended viewing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 447
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2021, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
The International. Just been on one of the Freeview channels. Starts as a pretty standard conspiracy movie, good cop versus a system that is bureaucratic when not outright corrupt. So-so. Then it descends into a big shootout (implausible as so often) but it was still quite a long time before the end of the film, so this wasn’t the climax. The actual final scenes get to the heart of the matter. I won’t spoil the plot, but if you appreciate Lord of War this is in a related space.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.