Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,389 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
August 25, 2021, 6:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
Of interest Sandford do you have Netflix or Amazon prime . I use to have Amazon prime but switched to Netflix. I find overall the quality is better . Some really good series on there as well. My favourite to date has been Narcos which is about the true story of Pablo Escobar the Columbian drugs lynchpin.

I have both plus Disney n sky. It’s almost a necessity with my kids. But I can’t blame them,  I watch a lot of tv, film and documentaries. Far too much but not always being the best sleeper helps.
I’m no Barry Norman or Jonathan Ross (phew) but along with footy and cricket, good tv and films are a huge passion of mine.
I really enjoyed Narcos and the first season of Narcos: Mexico as well.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 447
Rick12
August 25, 2021, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

I have both plus Disney n sky. It’s almost a necessity with my kids. But I can’t blame them,  I watch a lot of tv, film and documentaries. Far too much but not always being the best sleeper helps.
I’m no Barry Norman or Jonathan Ross (phew) but along with footy and cricket, good tv and films are a huge passion of mine.
I really enjoyed Narcos and the first season of Narcos: Mexico as well.
That's some catalogue your subscribed to  😮 . I've always been tempted to subscribe to disney just for the national geographic programmes. Iam a subscriber to national geographic magazine and find it excellent.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 447
GtfcGarner
August 31, 2021, 4:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
'A Beautiful Mind' - Russel Crowe (2001)

A very very strong link with being a genius and a link with schizophrenia. Still touches me every time I watch it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 447
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2021, 5:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GtfcGarner
'A Beautiful Mind' - Russel Crowe (2001)

A very very strong link with being a genius and a link with schizophrenia. Still touches me every time I watch it.

I’m not schizophrenic are we?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 447
KingstonMariner
September 1, 2021, 8:48pm
Meths Drinker
The film I watched tonight was the Lord of the Rings meets the Last of the Mohicans. In sandals. In Scotland. At least that’s how I imagine the pitch for the Eagle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 447
Sandford1981
September 2, 2021, 2:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The film I watched tonight was the Lord of the Rings meets the Last of the Mohicans. In sandals. In Scotland. At least that’s how I imagine the pitch for the Eagle.

I’d assume the same, that pitch by a good salesman is how it got made. I didn’t mind it at all but it’s not the greatest. Those other two however are brilliant with great scores.  

Private Message
Reply: 175 - 447
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2021, 5:11pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I’d assume the same, that pitch by a good salesman is how it got made. I didn’t mind it at all but it’s not the greatest. Those other two however are brilliant with great scores.  

I agree on all three counts.

Wes Studi is superb in LOTM. The dialogue in it is very good too. The siege and battle scene where the column gets attacked are very well done. I’m a bit of a military history geek, especially that period, and it’s one of the best I’ve seen. The battle where the redcoats whup the Rebels in the Patriot is very good too. Shame the rest of the film is hokum.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 447
Sandford1981
September 2, 2021, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker

I agree on all three counts.

Wes Studi is superb in LOTM. The dialogue in it is very good too. The siege and battle scene where the column gets attacked are very well done. I’m a bit of a military history geek, especially that period, and it’s one of the best I’ve seen. The battle where the redcoats whup the Rebels in the Patriot is very good too. Shame the rest of the film is hokum.

That’s inspired me to dust it off for the weekend and treat Mrs Sandford to it as she’s never seen it (I know!).
LOTM is a film I used to watch with my dad repeatedly when I was younger. I always remember being really haunted at the burning scene-perhaps I was a little young for it.

Have you seen Hostiles?

I quite like The Patriot purely as a movie. I’m no historian or military man though I have to confess. Speaking of my Dad, he cannot stand Mel Gibson off the back of it and Braveheart.😂

Private Message
Reply: 177 - 447
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2021, 8:41pm
Meths Drinker
I’ve not seen Hostiles. It’s quite recent isn’t it? I’ll have to look it up.

I’m against Gibson as a person. Never seen Braveheart, but it’s apparently historical bollux too. One of his I did like, and it gets good reviews from vets is We Were Soldiers.

Big bugbear for me is on those period films when cannonballs explode. They were solid iron! That’s one of the things the Patriot got right. Bit niche I know 😁

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 447
Sandford1981
September 2, 2021, 9:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I’ve not seen Hostiles. It’s quite recent isn’t it? I’ll have to look it up.

I’m against Gibson as a person. Never seen Braveheart, but it’s apparently historical bollux too. One of his I did like, and it gets good reviews from vets is We Were Soldiers.

Big bugbear for me is on those period films when cannonballs explode. They were solid iron! That’s one of the things the Patriot got right. Bit niche I know 😁

Hostiles is what I would call an old school western and it has Wes Studi in it. I really enjoyed it and the scenery is amazing.

Braveheart again like The Patriot is a film I liked purely on its merits rather than historical accuracy but I can see why it may annoy those who can’t see past it.

We were Soldiers is a really good film.

Private Message
Reply: 179 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.