Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Maringer and 19 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 20,560 views. Print
45 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
February 21, 2021, 12:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981
Kingston / Rick - Could I make a suggestion to start a religious thread where this discussion can carry on without it diluting film chat?
Apologies Sandford. Ive said what I needed to. If Kingston wants to he can contact me privately.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 447
Sandford1981
February 21, 2021, 1:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
Apologies Sandford. Ive said what I needed to. If Kingston wants to he can contact me privately.

No need to apologise mate. I’m not a forum nazi or anything it was merely a suggestion as it seems to be running on was all.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 447
Withnail
February 21, 2021, 2:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Withnail
Just stumbled across this thread and had to add my penny's worth after seeing a reference to Early Doors.

I missed this wonderful comedy when it was first broadcast as I was living in Oz at the time.

A friend introduced me to it about 10 years ago and I thought it was bloody marvellous with some hilarious characters, not to mention their catch phrases such as Tommy "I'll stay on me own..."

I in turn introduced my brother in law to Early Doors who now says it's his favourite comedy of all time.

He traveled up from his home in Somerset to see the live show in Manchester which he described as one of the best nights of his life.

I learnt to love the Royle Family, despite not appreciating it when it first came out, as I was in my early 20s, so it was all about going out rather than watching TV, let alone watching people watch TV!

I think Early Doors pips RF for me though.

I was weighing up my 3 favourite comedy series and couldnt whittle it down, so had to go with my top 5 instead - see what you think...

Alan Partridge, The Office, Phoenix Nights, Early Doors, Peep Show.

Saxondale and Curb Your Enthusiasm almost made the cut, as did Royle Family.

Quite interesting that three of my top five are based in the North West, as are two of the three of my 'best of the rest'.

On to films...the last couple I really enjoyed at the cinema were Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and 1917.

Really enjoyed '71 as someone else mentioned and rewatched some of my all time favourites over Christmas - Trainspotting, Withnail and I, Apocalypse Now, The Departed and OJ Made in America (on iPlayer), a series of documentary film, which won an Oscar.

All the President's Men (iPlayer) is definitely worth a watch if you've not seen it, as are Gran Torino, La Haine, The Boxer and Crazy Heart.

The Fighter, not The Boxer. Might help if I could get the title right 🤦🏻‍♂️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 447
Sandford1981
February 21, 2021, 3:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Withnail

Incidentally, ‘The Boxer’ is also a very good film. 😊

Private Message
Reply: 83 - 447
Manchester Mariner
February 21, 2021, 5:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Withnail

The Fighter is an excellent film. I love the boxing film genre as a whole, Cinderella Man, Raging Bull, Journey man etc. I watched Mr Calzaghe on Prime recently and thoroughly enjoyed it, he's probably the best British boxer in my lifetime so it was good to relive his career as well as getting some context on his personal struggles during his rise.

Looking forward to the forthcoming Bruno vs Tyson documentary as well.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 447
Withnail
February 21, 2021, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
Mickey Rourke is great in The Wrestler as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 447
TownSNAFU5
February 21, 2021, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Watched The Dig twice as my wife  issued it the first time.

Going back to archaeological digs,  don’t they say absence of proof isn’t proof of absence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 447
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2021, 11:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Watched The Dig twice as my wife  issued it the first time.

Going back to archaeological digs,  don’t they say absence of proof isn’t proof of absence?

That’s correct. Some seem to think though that absence of proof is proof of something because it hasn’t been disproved.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 447
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2021, 11:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Going back to films. Just watched Waterloo for the umpteenth time. Loads of errors and holes in it, but a great film. Plummer and Steiger WERE Wellington and Bonaparte. The spectacle is incredible - real men and real horses by the thousand (made in 1970 by a Soviet director with the assistance of the Red Army who provided the extras). Captured my imagination 50 years ago and fed a lifelong fascination.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 447
Sandford1981
March 3, 2021, 10:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Tenet 9/10

In a twilight world of international espionage, an unnamed CIA operative, known as The Protagonist, is recruited by a mysterious organization called Tenet to participate in a global assignment that unfolds beyond real time. The mission: prevent Andrei Sator, a renegade Russian oligarch with precognition abilities, from starting World War III. The Protagonist will soon master the art of "time inversion" as a way of countering the threat that is to come.

Like Inception and memento rolled into one. Like those films I will be watching this again. It baffled me at times but it does all come together enough at the end.

Private Message
Reply: 89 - 447
45 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.