Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Film Club

This thread currently has 21,682 views. Print
45 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
December 29, 2021, 7:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Boiling point
8/10

Enter the relentless pressure of a restaurant kitchen as a head chef wrangles his team on the busiest day of the year.

Reminded me of ‘Sorry we Missed You’ but in a restaurant and does have a feel of Ken Loach about it. Stephen Graham is brilliant as usual.

Never reached boiling point for me. Turned off half way through, so half baked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 447
Sandford1981
December 29, 2021, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Never reached boiling point for me. Turned off half way through, so half baked.

I watched the entirety of King Arthur Legend of the Sword so there was no danger of me turning it off. Up there with my favourites of the year (boiling point that is).

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 447
Sandford1981
December 30, 2021, 1:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Dune Part One (2021)
8.5/10

Feature adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel about the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy.

I had no expectations whatsoever having not read the book or seen the original film but I really enjoyed it. Seems strange to watch a film of two and a half hours and seeing it as a starter but that’s what it felt like. It’s certainly whetted my appetite.

Private Message
Reply: 252 - 447
Roast Em Bobby
December 30, 2021, 8:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix this afternoon. Two space scientists realise a massive asteroid is going to destroy the earth in 5 months time, but they can't get anyone to take them seriously. A very clever reflection of the dangers of dumb governments, big tech and a general public more interested in the latest tittle tattle than reality.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 447
ginnywings
December 30, 2021, 8:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix this afternoon. Two space scientists realise a massive asteroid is going to destroy the earth in 5 months time, but they can't get anyone to take them seriously. A very clever reflection of the dangers of dumb governments, big tech and a general public more interested in the latest tittle tattle than reality.

Yeah, watched it last night. Fairly average as a film but it did raise some interesting points about the way the world seems to be now.

I also re-watched The Big Short and there is a quote in the film which says, truth is like poetry, and most people fu@king hate poetry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 447
KingstonMariner
December 30, 2021, 10:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Sandford1981
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword ( 2017)
4/10

Robbed of his birthright, Arthur comes up the hard way in the back alleys of the city. But once he pulls the sword from the stone, he is forced to acknowledge his true legacy - whether he likes it or not.

How I watched all of this I don’t know, so I suppose it’s my fault but what a load of shiiite!!!

Is that the one where they had Welsh accents? Low budget production.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 447
Sandford1981
December 31, 2021, 2:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Is that the one where they had Welsh accents? Low budget production.

No too much money if anything with with the most pointless cameo from David Beckham.
The one you mention sounds intriguing though and I bet it’s better than The one I watched.

Private Message
Reply: 256 - 447
psgmariner
December 31, 2021, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, watched it last night. Fairly average as a film but it did raise some interesting points about the way the world seems to be now.

I also re-watched The Big Short and there is a quote in the film which says, truth is like poetry, and most people fu@king hate poetry.

How did you watch big short? Can’t seem to find a way to watch it without buying a dvd (and then a DVD player!). A film I really want to rewatch.

EDIT - just found it on Netflix. Sure it wasn’t on there last time I looked!

Private Message
Reply: 257 - 447
Stadium
December 31, 2021, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Sandford1981
Boiling point
8/10

Enter the relentless pressure of a restaurant kitchen as a head chef wrangles his team on the busiest day of the year.

Reminded me of ‘Sorry we Missed You’ but in a restaurant and does have a feel of Ken Loach about it. Stephen Graham is brilliant as usual.

Thanks for this,watched it last night.
Solid film,really enjoyed it.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 447
Manchester Mariner
December 31, 2021, 12:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981

Reminded me of ‘Sorry we Missed You’ but in a restaurant and does have a feel of Ken Loach about it.  

I really love Ken Loach and his raw, powerful if bleak films but for me personally, I found 'Sorry we missed you' too be a bit too 'Ken Loachy'. No doubt it's an important social commentary and well made film but it was relentlessly depressing right upto the final scene with the beaten up main character, probably with internal bleeding driving away from his home despite protests from his family screaming something along the lines of "I've got to go to work, I've got to go to work." It sort of reminded me of the final scene in Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the woman who sort of escapes onto a main road but is screaming, soaked in blood, never to be the same again.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 447
45 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.