Bigdog
October 23, 2023, 12:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
Depends what you mean by decent season. If you go into it expecting a promotion push, or at least a play off spot, then you are maybe setting yourself up for disappointment.

The league has got stronger and getting established in it may be more of a realistic goal for some. We don't know what the board are expecting, apart from long term plans and living within our means.

I'm as desperate for excitement and swashbuckling football as the next fan, but many years of watching Town have tempered my expectations somewhat. I hope for better, but expecting better leads to disappointment mostly.

I was expecting us to be in the mix for a play off spot, but due to the strength of the league, accept falling short as long as we show improvement and had a decent chance going into the final few games. At the end of the transfer window I thought we were still three or four short of a promotion winning team but in a decent position squad wise to add them for a stronger push the following season rather than having to make wholesale changes. I still think we're in that position..

For all the "we're investing all of the Cup money into the squad" "we want to get out of this division as soon as possible" and "I'm happy we got our business done early"  

It's not unreasonable for fans to think that we should be a lot more competitive this season. PH has been given the tools for my expectations and is falling well short..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 297
Mappers
October 23, 2023, 12:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from GrimPol

If a Fairygodmother arrived at Blundell Park and offered Mariner Fans an A or B wish, how would you choose?
A) Guaranteed this season mid-table mediocrity, with all the games puerile but no demotion or anywhere near playoffs. or
B) Leave PH alone and let him fulfil his 30-month contract.
No exceptions, or whatabouts, that's the stark choice. What would you take A or B?

The fairygodmother offers strange wish options
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 297
GrimPol
October 23, 2023, 1:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Mappers

The fairygodmother offers strange wish options

The only ones you get if you have naughty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 282 - 297
Azimuth
October 23, 2023, 1:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from GrimPol

Do they know where Grimsby is?

Former Fishing Village near Yorkshire apparently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 283 - 297
MuddyWaters
October 23, 2023, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Questions aren't opinions. Have all the opinions you like, but constantly asking "why do fans put up with this" and "when should the manager be sacked" are irrelevant. I just pointed out that article as trying to have an insight as to how the owners might be thinking. They are not my thoughts, and I realise my thoughts don't count anyway.

My opinion is that they won't part ways with him yet and I'm cool with that. We are not in a relegation battle as some like to say, because there is too much time and too many games left.

Hurst is here until he isnt, so either support the team or don't. That's the only decision that is ours to make.

For clarity, at what point does being 20th in the table constitute being in a relegation battle? Having watched the last two home games, I’d say that we looked more like a relegation team than a playoff team.
Private Message
Reply: 284 - 297
kevikov
October 23, 2023, 2:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
The more I think about it, the more I believe hurst is a manager who performs better under pressure with tight resources. When the shackles are off, moneys available or pressure is minimal, that’s where he dithers, tinkers and appears to be lost. It’s like he can’t perform unless it’s backs against the wall time. I wonder if that’s why we slump in oct/nov but he somehow turns it around by April?

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 285 - 297
diehardmariner
October 23, 2023, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ginnywings

Putting the emotion of being a fan to one side, it is simply too hard this far out to say we will be in a relegation battle in 4 months time. Previous history has got everybody twitchy and I understand that. Previous history also suggests that PH can get us out of a slump, but it's natural to concentrate on the negative when it is all we have known for so many years.

The conundrum for me is why we are one of the best first half teams in the league, joint second with Stockport last time I looked, but our second half performances have us second bottom. That's a problem that needs to be addressed. 75% of our goals have come in the first half, but we can't seem to get over the line for some reason.

Let me also say, for the benefit of doubt, that I'm not a massive PH fan as some might imagine, and if the board were to end his time here, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but I think he has earned the right to be given a bit more time, and I'm trying to not let emotion, and previous bad times cloud my thinking.

I'm also mindful of the clamour we had for his removal at least 4 or 5 times in his two stints as manager, and how he usually comes through in the end. In fact, I can remember people on this board saying they were wrong, and some even apologising for doubting him when he got us promoted.

I genuinely think that we have some better players, but not yet enough to get us where we want to be, and we are sort of falling between 2 stools at the moment. He's trying to transition the team to a more possession based system, but hasn't yet cracked it with the incumbent personnel. People are saying to get in a new manager so he has time to assess and a window, but we could say that PH could also do that job in the next window, already knowing the squad and it's deficiences.

I also think that the fans are jumping on the fact that the owners said they were trying to improve every window, and the early recruitment seemed to go down really well with the fans, who maybe got a bit carried away and thought we would and should be challenging for a play off spot at least. The fact that we haven't so far, with the emphasis on "so far", leads fans to feel that they have been somewhat duped and only a change of manager can get us back on track.

I think the board will be looking to see what happens over the next few games, maybe until the end of November, and if we are still floundering, or god forbid, getting worse, there will be time to appoint a new man and he can have the window.

Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot.  

I don't think you're an idiot for showing faith in what has gone before.  A few weeks back I was firmly stood beside your opinion and the belief that it would change, he's always come out of a bit of a wobble, he'll rally the troops etc. etc.  

But nothing is suggesting to me that we might do so, bar a complete reverting back to the approach we took in the early stages of the season.  Without doubt I think individually we've gone out in the summer and  got better players, but to my eyes they were recruited with a view to playing a new brand of football, or certainly one we've not seen for a fair few years at BP.

Hurst has gone back to his tried and tested which doesn't suit these players. They look absolutely lost when playing.  Even during the run two years ago it was clear that we were just missing McAtee and the criticism was that we were trying to play exactly the same way even though McAtee wasn't there.  Hurst shoe-horned a few players into his position and it just didn't work.  But I think deep down we all knew that once he came back into the team we would pick up because our approach would match the players.

If Hurst goes, whoever comes in will want to put their own stamp on things naturally.  But they'll also have to acknowledge the strengths and limitations of this squad.  It's not a slight to say that this squad is not geared up to grinding games out by keeping shape and being very rigid.  Notts County have built a squad to play a certain way and they've stuck with that approach.  They didn't switch because of a few bad results, which is what we did in August/September.  Equally so I don't think that County side would be anywhere near the top positions if they decided to switch to a different approach.

Post-Bradford we've looked a completely different side and I honestly think that lack of belief in his side going to Wrexham has completely shot the confidence and belief of the side.  We went in awe of them and it showed.  He talked them up pre-game, he adjusted his tactics too much and we looked like the proverbial rabbit in headlights.  That mindset probably works for the players we've had before and who did very well under Hurst, but not for the the likes of Eisa, Rose, Conteh who probably fancy themselves as more than good enough to go out and win games regardless of the opposition.
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 297
chipsandgravy
October 23, 2023, 3:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
I get the debate we have better players but not neccassarily a better team. In my mind he recruited players to play a different way and to progress the team. However it has become increasingly obvious to me he doesnt have the balls to stick with it. That is why at times the team looks completely lost in games. I agree with the comments about the Wrexham game where we were beaten before the game started and that was so ruddy annoying. He has now reverted to type but has a different set of playes unable to deliver what he wants. His stubborness to not change things against Accrington was bordering on the criminal.
I now believe that he doesnt know what team/tactics to play and is caught between two stools. I hope that changes soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 287 - 297
GollyGTFC
October 23, 2023, 3:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from diehardmariner
Whilst that article is old, it does raise an interesting point.

System 1 thinking would definitely suggest sacking Hurst.  At face value.  It's excrement, we're excrement to watch and we look like we're only getting shitter.

System 2 thinking probably saved Hurst two years ago, the data said we were doing ok.  I think looking back at the time it was probably fair to say that was the case, other than the points haul.  We weren't playing awful but we just couldn't buy a win (or a draw!).  But this time, I'm less sure.  I'm not sure what 1878 would be looking at but I can't imagine that, even if using a heavy dosage of confirmation bias, it would be easy to find stats to suggest that things are going well at the minute.  

Really good points made about at what point is too late? Genuinely feels like we're sleepwalking into a relegation scrap, but we're also at real risk of getting cut adrift from everyone else.  The bottom 3 are in terrible form, like us.  But Tranmere are picking up and will be comfortable as hell under Adkins, MK Dons have got the quality in their squad and I expect will improve under Williamson.  Even FGR boosted their confidence with a 5-0 win over Colchester, which in turn is going to bring about a change of management in Essex.  

What does this new system say about 3,000 Town fans at Doncaster shouting for Hurst to be sacked?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 288 - 297
diehardmariner
October 23, 2023, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I don't think reactions at away games is what will sway any decision.

A much bigger test will be the gate tomorrow.  Weather is looking excrement all day which won't help matters either.
Private Message
Reply: 289 - 297
30 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.