Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,629 views. Print
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 23, 2023, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,559
Gold Stars: 185
Unfortunately, that's my mind made up on Eastwood. He absolutely shits himself when he's played the ball to his feet and the defenders know it, so they are in edge as well. His distribution is just woeful. A massive downgrade on Crocombe. I hear Cartwright has had some howlers in the trophy, but I hope he can get past them because I've got absolutely no confidence in Eastwood and we'll get nowhere with him in goal this season.

Glennon was really very poor today. Whether it was marking, defending, positioning or crossing when he got forward on occasion, he did it badly. Didn't get anywhere near their winger for their winning goal and it just wasn't good enough. I've always thought he was decent enough, but a bit slow. Not today, he defended terribly.

Another off day for Conteh who kept getting on the wrong side of players (as did our defenders) and he's got to learn he can't nip in front of players all the time. Just stand off and defend if it isn't there to be won. He looked cumbersome at times today.

The biggest surprise for me was that I was shocked how poor Rodgers was today, truth be told. He's looked a calm head in the other games I've seen but was aimlessly heading the ball half-away and fluffed plenty of basic clearances as well.

Pyke didn't look like he knew how to play like a centre-forward for the first half, but actually improved a bit and began to link up play in the second half before he came off. We were so ragged by the time that Wilson came on, I couldn't really judge how well he did.

If you want to take the positives, we were terrible, but should have had a penalty or two and the referee was terribly biased against us. Just can't believe how disorganised we looked at times and it doesn't say a lot about the depth of the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 258
fishcake63
September 23, 2023, 6:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Conteh looked decent in most games but today i'm afraid he would have been sent off , he just kept fouling & please play forward , my other rants all the back 5 had shockers you cant win a game when that happens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 258
Spurn boy
September 23, 2023, 6:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Absolutely gutted after watching that performance, the wife has cleared off into another room to watch Strictly Come Dancing leaving me to stew over what I’ve seen today with a bottle of red wine , just listened to Hurst on RH and I’m fuming to lose the game after being 2-0 up and he doesn’t seem bothered about it. It’s going to be a long night. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 258
Mayaman
September 23, 2023, 6:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Wasn't  pleased when I saw Gnahoua wasn't starting.  Each game he was getting better. I also hate the fact that his name is female dog to spell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 258
Mappers
September 23, 2023, 6:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,339
Gold Stars: 119
Tend not to get too down after defeats and the first 8 games went somewhat how I expected .

I expected us to beat Crawley at home though and not winning games like this drain my optimistic outlook - saying that , win at Swindon and it's still a good start ; however unlikely that may be .

I think it's becoming clearer by the game we are not going anywhere fast .

My worry is the crowds will drop off if we continue like we are , I will go whatever but I'm starting to feel a little disinterested in truth and how that translates to people who go based on results and performance may see a lull .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 258
The Caterham Mariner
September 23, 2023, 7:01pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Oh dear 2-0 up!! Then the bubble burst to worst when i listen to see us go to 2-2 you listen to commentary  ...Cherry on top of cake Danny Orsi puts in the last minute winner!!
Criminal sounding game to loose a 2-0 lead.
Looking at PH ....
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 258
davmariner
September 23, 2023, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Mayaman
Wasn't  pleased when I saw Gnahoua wasn't starting.  Each game he was getting better. I also hate the fact that his name is female dog to spell.

He was dogshit when he came on.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 258
mariner91
September 23, 2023, 7:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,665
Gold Stars: 262
Well that was horrible. We’re going to be in for a long hard season and can forget any aspirations of the play offs or higher. Very few came out of that game with much credit and the overarching problems of not creating enough because we don’t have enough quality in most positions is still abundantly clear.

Eastwood - flappy, clanger for the last goal and doesn’t command his area. The defence was visibly worried about his decision making. He’d been good earlier in the season but was very poor today.
Efete - just isn’t very good at defending
Mullarkey - awful today. Kept diving in when he shouldn’t have which was directly responsible for the first goal and led indirectly to the winner. Also not particularly good with the ball at his feet.
Rodgers - he wasn’t good today but considering what was around him I’ll forgive him
Glennon - awful. Can’t defend at all and his quality going forward is not even close to being good enough to get away with it. Runs like he’s in treacle. I’m 32 and overweight and I still reckon I’d beat him over 20 yards.
Conteh - poor today. Dived in a few times when he should have held his position, led to the second goal. Needs to learn when to go for it and when not to.
Holohan - did fine, can’t believe he was taken off and Clifton left on
Clifton - why is he always exempt from criticism? I get that he’s a good lad and has a fantastic engine but he has zero quality on the ball. Best example being when he nicked the ball off a defender and had a 30 yard space in which to roll it through for Pyke and he overshot it so much Pyke couldn’t get close. If you want to be in the play offs or better then Clifton isn’t good enough to start consistently.
Khan - pleased to see him back. Some actual guile and intelligence.
Eisa - should have scored when he got the ball stuck in his feet but his goal was class. About the only threat we have a lot of the time.
Pyke - basically useless. Looks like he’s never played up front. Zero movement, zero anticipation. Can hold it up if played directly to him but it is staggering that we’re almost in October but haven’t had two fully fit strikers available yet. It’s even worse only having three strikers if one of them is Pyke. He’s scored four goals in the football league which for a 26 year old striker is pathetic. I can’t see him adding many to that tally. The irony being that Orsi was allowed to leave but caused our defence problems and scored the winner. How is replacing him with Pyke (and I wasn’t a huge Orsi fan) continuous improvement?! Within the first two minutes we’d put the ball across the six yard box resulting in their keeper spilling it in to the middle of the area. Where was our centre forward? Running across the defender to the near post, trying to nick in? Bearing down on the keeper waiting for it to spill? No. He was on his heels near the penalty spot so the chance went begging. If he’s a striker then I’m the King of England.

We don’t create. We don’t have much in the way of proper pace. We are mentally weak and keep throwing games away. And we seem to also now be shipping soft goals. On top of that we’ve got a manager who, for all his positives, is still incapable of making in-game tactical changes or subs that work in our favour. Other than that it’s all rosey.

We’ll finish somewhere from 12-20th this season, what a waste of a supposedly good budget.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 258
HerveJosse
September 23, 2023, 7:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Tough day for the happy clappers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 258
fishcake63
September 23, 2023, 7:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Tough day for us all as fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 258
26 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.