Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back

This thread currently has 21,868 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 26, 2023, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
The problem with this idea that Hunt is some sort of an undiscovered creative genius, is the rather thin evidence to show it is true. He started well during his initial loan with us (at the time that McAtee and Bapaga were also causing problems for the opposition defence, I seem to think), but even by the end of that spell, he'd become pretty ineffective, to my view. He then, of course, went to Oldham and it obviously didn't work out great there.

Since signing for us permanently, he hasn't nailed down a place in the team and, I'd argue, hasn't deserved to. The idea that he needs to be playing further forward to be most effective may have some truth in it, but the problem is that he gives away possession sloppily too much and this doesn't seem likely to change whether he's further forward or deeper.

He's pretty diminutive so needs to look after the ball better than he has been doing in most of his performances so far. 23 years old now, so hardly a kid. I don't blame Hurst for not picking him because I've seen little to indicate he deserves it.

Truth be told, I'd say that Khouri is more unfortunate not to get a chance as he put in a few tenacious performances towards the end of last season, but I'm sure there must be some reason why he isn't getting a look-in. You'd think he'd go out on loan somewhere if he's not in Hurst's current plans, but perhaps he's holding him back in case of injury to Conteh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 258
diehardmariner
September 26, 2023, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
I can only presume Khouri is injured, having not featured in the last 3 match day squads, one of which featured a seventeen-year-old Cameron Gardner.

He does appear to have fallen down the pecking order a bit though and I do agree that he probably deserves a bit more of a role to play.

Perhaps that's the case with regards Conteh, but I'd have thought with Andrews coming in and once Green is back we're hardly in a position to worry about not having enough midfielders.  Seven at my count (Conteh, Clifton, Holohan, Khouri, Andrews, Hunt and Green) plus Ainley who I think can either wide or at the top of the midfield.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 258
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
I’m a massive believer that you should play your most talented players and I believe Alex Hunt is one of our most talented players. If Hurst and Doig don’t give him a run in the team then his confidence is bound to be shot. Maybe his bridge is burnt but he’s still our player for the thick end of two more seasons.
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 258
AncientExiledMariner
September 26, 2023, 2:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from diehardmariner
I can only presume Khouri is injured, having not featured in the last 3 match day squads, one of which featured a seventeen-year-old Cameron Gardner.

He does appear to have fallen down the pecking order a bit though and I do agree that he probably deserves a bit more of a role to play.

Perhaps that's the case with regards Conteh, but I'd have thought with Andrews coming in and once Green is back we're hardly in a position to worry about not having enough midfielders.  Seven at my count (Conteh, Clifton, Holohan, Khouri, Andrews, Hunt and Green) plus Ainley who I think can either wide or at the top of the midfield.

I forget we had Green. How long will he be out for. It might be nice to take pressure off Conteh, or have the option to push him into a more advanced role at times.

I personally don't think Hunt is going to work. After that season alongside Fox, he just doesn't seem to be stepping up and I don't think he has Hurst's confidence. I would love to be proven wrong of course, but the longer this goes on, the less time on the contract left. I half expect Khouri to leapfrog him. I think Andrews is already ahead of both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 258
Hagrid
September 26, 2023, 2:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I’m a massive believer that you should play your most talented players and I believe Alex Hunt is one of our most talented players. If Hurst and Doig don’t give him a run in the team then his confidence is bound to be shot. Maybe his bridge is burnt but he’s still our player for the thick end of two more seasons.

I Just don't understand d what you are basing this on? bar 2/3 months of his original loan spell he has been completely anonymous. I think the writings been on the wall for him for a while now, since the away game against Carlisle when he gave the ball away and it led to a goal and was generally very poor.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 258
ginnywings
September 26, 2023, 2:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
For those wondering what's happened to Khouri; he's injured. PH said so after the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 258
AncientExiledMariner
September 26, 2023, 2:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
For those wondering what's happened to Khouri; he's injured. PH said so after the game.

Thanks for the update. Do you have a link for the post match stuff?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 258
ginnywings
September 26, 2023, 2:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548

Thanks for the update. Do you have a link for the post match stuff?

I'm out walking and don't know how to do them on my phone, but there is one on the GTFC channel on YouTube, and one somewhere on Humberside sport
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 258
MuddyWaters
September 26, 2023, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

I Just don't understand d what you are basing this on? bar 2/3 months of his original loan spell he has been completely anonymous. I think the writings been on the wall for him for a while now, since the away game against Carlisle when he gave the ball away and it led to a goal and was generally very poor.

Thanks for making my point. Every time he makes a mistake he gets dropped. There are several other players who appear bombproof in this regard, Harry being one.
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 258
diehardmariner
September 26, 2023, 2:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Not seen or heard anything since, but seem to recall when Green was initially ruled out a six-week timeframe was mentioned, we're there or thereabouts now.  
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 258
26 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.